2001 Kawasaki Prairie 300 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2001 Kawasaki Prairie 300 4x4. I bought it new and the only oils I have used have been Kawasaki brand 10W40 ATV oil and Valvoline 10W40 ATV oil. I have been reading how people who own ATV's without a wet clutch use all sorts of different oils. My question is should I continue to use ATV specific oils (JASO MA) or is it o.k. to use other oils?
The manual is a little confusing as it lists JASO MA and SAE oils. The only reason I would be looking to switch to a different oil is price and availability. I see Rotella T6 at Wal Mart for a decent price and it's JASO MA. I wouldn't mind using PYB either if that would suffice. Thanks.

Rotella Triple T (conventional) or Rotella T6 (synthetic) will work just fine. I have used both in my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 (which does not have a wet clutch) and they have held up pretty well. My BF tends to be an "oil shredder" because it shares the sump with the transmission and these two are good. If your Prairie is not a wet clutch, you could try non-JASO oils, but you would want something fairly stout.

I've had wet clutch slippage in my kingquad 300 using some Castrol syntec a few years ago. So I went back to using Rotella 15W40 or 5W40 and the clutches are good now. I won't be trying anything other than a JASO motorcycle rated oil again...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Rotella Triple T (conventional) or Rotella T6 (synthetic) will work just fine. I have used both in my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 (which does not have a wet clutch) and they have held up pretty well. My BF tends to be an "oil shredder" because it shares the sump with the transmission and these two are good. If your Prairie is not a wet clutch, you could try non-JASO oils, but you would want something fairly stout.

^^^^^this^^^^^ Rotella is all I use in my Polaris Ranger.. and in my lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Was the syntec labeled "energy conserving"

It was. It worked too, almost no torque could be transferred through that clutch...

Thanks for the replies. My Prairie has the CVT/belt drive. I think I'll give Rotella T6 a try.

T6 should work great. We have a 2008 Prairie 360, and I also found it odd that the manual specifically calls for JASO-MA when there is no wet clutch. However, the front diff also calls for the same engine oil and my understanding is that it does use a wet clutch for the diff lock so a JASO-MA oil would be needed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back