Sportster 883

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2006 with 2100 miles on it, no manuals though. Looking for a synthetic to go in her. What viscosity is recommended and is there another lube for the transmission? Was thinking of going with Rotella syn. blend or maybe Amalie......

For the motor I would go with Valvoline VR-1 20/50 wt Synthetic oil, but for the trans I would try Rotella T 15/40 wt conventional oil.The conventional seem to shear less when used in transmission use.,,,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
For the motor I would go with Valvoline VR-1 20/50 wt Synthetic oil, but for the trans I would try Rotella T 15/40 wt conventional oil.The conventional seem to shear less when used in transmission use.,,,

Ok, so I have two oils to do here?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
Ok, so I have two oils to do here?

You have engine oil and primary/trans.

The primary/trans includes a wet clutch and stator.

Few will argue with 20/50 in the engine, the primary and trans is subject of some controversy and probably originally specced GL1. There are specific products on the market, but motorcycle oil and gear lube that is yellow metal safe are both popular.

You should be able to pick up a factory repair manual at your dealer for about $45.00 or so.

Rotella has the MA spec which says it's safe for use with wet clutches, which you have in a Sportster. As far as the trans goes, 10 million metric bikes whose oil is shared between the motor and trans, prove it can handle transmission use. I wouldn't use gear oil in the primary of a Sportster. While it wouldn't hurt the gears in the trans, I'd be concerned with excess drag on the clutch plates. But it's a free world.,,,

Just got a 2006 with 2100 miles on it, no manuals though. Looking for a synthetic to go in her. What viscosity is recommended and is there another lube for the transmission? Was thinking of going with Rotella syn. blend or maybe Amalie......

You got a 9 year old bike with only 2100 miles......SWEET!!!!!

Originally Posted By: SJohnson

You got a 9 year old bike with only 2100 miles......SWEET!!!!!

Ya, paid $3900.00. Hopefully a decent price...

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Rotella has the MA spec which says it's safe for use with wet clutches, which you have in a Sportster. As far as the trans goes, 10 million metric bikes whose oil is shared between the motor and trans, prove it can handle transmission use. I wouldn't use gear oil in the primary of a Sportster. While it wouldn't hurt the gears in the trans, I'd be concerned with excess drag on the clutch plates. But it's a free world.,,,

Harley recommends 20W50 for the engine and formula + for the trans and primary.and also 20W50 for the trans and primary. When I had my 1000 mile service at the dealer, they put harley Syn3 20W50 synthetic in both the engine and the primary. I have to say it runs and shifts better with the SYN3 20W50 in the trans. I have no trouble finding netural.

Now when I do my next oil change I am going to use Red Line 20W50 in the engine and 75W90 GL5 gear oil in the trans and the primary. The Red Line is yellow metal safe AND 75W90 is the SAME viscosity as 20W50 engine oil so no drag on the clutch. Red Line 75W90 GL5 gear oil has additives for clutches in limited slip diff so will work for a wet clutch.
The tect at Red Line said to me in an email they had tested the GL5 gear oil in Sportsters for a long time and thats what he recommended.

Last edited:
I use same oil for both fill's (20w-50). Currently using Amsoil, but will try the VR-1 20w-50 when I run out of the Amsoil. This on a 1200 97 Sportster pumped up some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back