What's the reason behind this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO....Looks like a sloppy patch job after the last earthquake in SF/Oakland back in 1988. They need/should to get back to fix this "temporary" repair before the next quake arrives.

Be a good citizen and let them know....

There is actually a good reason for it.

I work in the telecom business and was in the field for many years.

In a lot of cases, you can't simply plant the new pole next to the old one. In this case, there is concrete or tarmac all around. The old pole is pulled out and the new one put in the same hole, but there may still be services attached to the old one so they can't remove it entirely. Cutting off the butt and lashing the old pole to the new one is SOP until the service owner(s) can transfer their wiring to the new pole.

That's temporary. Anytime you see two poles right next to each other like that, it's called a "double wood." When a pole needs to be replaced for whatever reaso, the electric company sets a new pole right next to the old one and transfers the electric lines and equipment over to it. Then they leave it until the telephone, cable, and whatever other utilities are attached to transfer their lines and equipment over to the new pole, and then they finally remove the old pole. Now as for that pole being kind of suspended in the air, it looks like that sidewalk was just repaired. Apparently someone didn't want to wait for the old pole to be removed before repairing the sidewalk, so they had to rig the old pole so it's still there, but not in the ground.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
That's temporary. Anytime you see two poles right next to each other like that, it's called a "double wood." When a pole needs to be replaced for whatever reaso, the electric company sets a new pole right next to the old one and transfers the electric lines and equipment over to it. Then they leave it until the telephone, cable, and whatever other utilities are attached to transfer their lines and equipment over to the new pole, and then they finally remove the old pole. Now as for that pole being kind of suspended in the air, it looks like that sidewalk was just repaired. Apparently someone didn't want to wait for the old pole to be removed before repairing the sidewalk, so they had to rig the old pole so it's still there, but not in the ground.

Do you know if the electric company lets the other utilities know that they are replacing a particular pole, or is every utility routinely checking all the shared poles?

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Do you know if the electric company lets the other utilities know that they are replacing a particular pole, or is every utility routinely checking all the shared poles?

hotwheels

Down here, a pole outage will be notified to every utility that uses either the pole, or the service provided by the pole, a month out.

Unless emergency, then as much notice as can be given.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Is that San Fran Sicko?

I see you are familiar with epiplexis. You asked this question only to elicit a rebuke or a protest. That's what's commonky called baiting or trolling. When done skilfully, unlike in this instant, epiplexis can be effective.

hotwheels

I've seen that before, it appears temporary until they get a chance to replace the pole. This pole appears to also have a support cable attached for the trolley bus overhead wire. Guess they would need to coordinate with everyone before it can be replaced. Also note the sidewalk ramp was redone relatively recently as they are slowly doing that across the city.

I remember many years back during the stormy weather a utility pole got damaged on Fulton near the park. They did something similar to this, took a few months before finally putting a new pole in.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's government craftsmanship, planning and on the job quality.

About that… I presume PG&E owns the pole and the powerlines, and PG&E are an investor-owned utility. None of the other utilities that make use of the poles are government-owned, as far as I know. But maybe OneEyeJack just wanted to say that these companies do their jobs in government-like fashion.

hotwheels

How can that be a Mazda? I can still see the fenders on that car!

Oops I forgot, this car is NOT in the rust belt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back