Auto parts from Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never purchased auto parts from Amazon before how are they if you have to warranty a apart?

I just tried to get them to warranty a failed timing chain tensioner. No dice. They told me to contact the mfr who in turn does not want to work directly with customers.

I've had really good luck with Amazon and warranties. They never questioned warranties for me but I've heard some people say Amazon will close your account if you have too many returns, legit or not.

I've bought a fair amount of parts via Amazon. No problems, return handling is excellent - model of what all online transactions should be. Warranty six months down the road - I don't know.

I also really like RockAuto and between the two, rarely buy parts, or even bother to look, anywhere else.

I have purchased plenty auto parts from Amazon and its been fine. (Mostly common maintenance items)

We just talked about this at work. One of the fellows is ordering more parts through Amazon due to better shipping rates but I think he has Amazon Prime.

Unless I need it now, all of my parts are ordered from Amazon (or Rock Auto, but this thread is about Amazon). Only problem was a set of FSM that got lost. The tracking info showed the package as lost. Got a new set shipped free a couple of days later. Have stuff shipping from Amazon as you read this. As always, there are those who have had problems. It's no different than anything else in life.

rockauto after you add shipping charges is almost never worth it,
i have bought some parts from amazon. brakes, oil filters etc.. as a prime member i get free shipping and usually no sales tax

Amazon is hit-or-miss about warranty. Some of the items they sell have the full manufacturers warranty, but many are only covered by Amazon during their return period. After that it's between you and the manufacturer.

Also, for a lot of items, Amazon isn't an "authorized retailer," so you may also have a manufacturer that won't warranty an item for that reason. People have run into that issue with hand tool warranties. Amazon even admits this in the fine print:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468516
Quote:
Manufacturer's warranties may not apply in all cases, depending on factors like the use of the product, where the product was purchased, or who you purchased the product from. Please review the warranty carefully, and contact the manufacturer if you have any questions.

If the manufacturer wants you to go through the retailer you bought it from for warranty, you may be out of luck. But Amazon now has this wording about automotive warranties:
Quote:
Automotive Items

If you have purchased an automotive item shipped from and sold by Amazon.com that is defective and is covered by a manufacturer’s published warranty, Amazon will either replace the item or refund the cost of the item for the life of the published warranty.

I get unsophisticated stuff like brake drums and rotors from amazon. They're either good or not, and problems can be handled when unboxed.

Rock auto with shipping is almost the same price as buying local. Partsgeek.com has free shipping on a lot of parts and has decent prices.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Amazon is hit-or-miss about warranty. Some of the items they sell have the full manufacturers warranty, but many are only covered by Amazon during their return period. After that it's between you and the manufacturer.

Also, for a lot of items, Amazon isn't an "authorized retailer," so you may also have a manufacturer that won't warranty an item for that reason. People have run into that issue with hand tool warranties. Amazon even admits this in the fine print:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468516
Quote:
Manufacturer's warranties may not apply in all cases, depending on factors like the use of the product, where the product was purchased, or who you purchased the product from. Please review the warranty carefully, and contact the manufacturer if you have any questions.

If the manufacturer wants you to go through the retailer you bought it from for warranty, you may be out of luck. But Amazon now has this wording about automotive warranties:
Quote:
Automotive Items

If you have purchased an automotive item shipped from and sold by Amazon.com that is defective and is covered by a manufacturer’s published warranty, Amazon will either replace the item or refund the cost of the item for the life of the published warranty.

This is the best answer to OP question.

If part(s) is defective when install during the return period then it is easy to return to Amazon for exchange or refund. If part(s) failed after return period but before warranty expired then either contact manufacture or Amazon.

I've got a few basic parts on Amazon - never had to return anything.
Problem with the system is the drop-down menu to see if the part fits your vehicle - it's not always right in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back