Struts fully extended while on hoist ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, looks like this has happened to my Elantra's rear struts at 215k miles (yeah 215k on factory struts). I researched this a bit and found quite a few occasions on the web where other people reported this happening, to much younger vehicles even !

Weird - after a brake job, riding home was SO BUMPY esp. in the rear, as if it was hopping up on the tiniest unevenness on the road. Almost dangerously so.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone else here have experienced this. Struts full extended while car is up on lift and struts now seized / locked in place at max. extension....

(Already ordered pair of rear SenSen brand struts - $27 each at Rockauto - replaced the front with same brand about an yr ago, and they're pretty good, I think - shade tree mechanic will have to install them soon...)

Yeah, I know they have a good rep.
... but considering this is a beater that I may only keep for another 80k max, and being a spare care sort of, I went with whatever the cheapest I could find.

Over 20K on my Sensens and very happy with them still. I've never noticed or heard of a strut or shock locking at full extension like that.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
SensaTrac are good struts / shocks for the money.

Have them on our Accord and nice ride.

I like how the first reply doesn't answer your question at all, just recommends a higher dollar strut/shock AFTER you state that you've already made your purchase, totally worthless post there.

Last edited:
I ran Sensens on my Miata. They got tired after 36k but were great up until then.

Your mileage may vary since the roads around here are rough.

Originally Posted By: asand1

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
SensaTrac are good struts / shocks for the money.

Have them on our Accord and nice ride.

I like how the first reply doesn't answer your question at all, just recommends a higher dollar strut/shock AFTER you state that you've already made your purchase, totally worthless post there.

I'll bet he misread it, as did I at first glance. Lots of cheap brands with names similar to the real stuff.

Never seen or heard of struts/shocks extended then binding up. Have had them squeak for a few miles after having been up on a lift.

While working at a Honda dealer about 7 yrs ago I remember this would usually happen to older pre 98 Accords and Odyssey vans - the struts would lock up like you described. It happened enough , that we would have to let customers know (with older vehicles) that it could happen, prior to performing services that required all four wheels to be lifted off the ground. Shop only had two post lifts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back