03 pt cruiser engine lurching bucking sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's car does this once in awhile usually when first starting it and putting it in gear or starting it up and turning ac on. Engine will shake as if it's missing very badly for just a second or 2 then it's fine. It drives fine. No cel. No codes. Plugs and wires are both newer less than 6000 miles. Doesn't do it every time I'm lost on it.

Maybe it needs new engine and transmission mounts?

I have seen some engine mounts so rotted that the engine looks like it would hop right out of the car.

Was the engine missing before or after you changed the plugs and wires. Also...what type of plugs did you use?

No and champion platinums. And wires were Napa brand I believe.
Motor mounts are fine. It's the engine not running smoothly that's causing it other than when it randomly screws up its perfectly smooth.

Originally Posted By: Kansas_Ron
Timing belt?

Car only has 60,000 and the belt has been replaced once. It runs fine except when first starting and putting a load on the engine. Only does it one out 10 times probably

Probably just the engine management system not adjusting the idle quick enough when a load is placed on it. If the car runs fine otherwise and there are no codes I wouldn't worry about it.

Fan is good it's definitely the engine running rough. I hate intermittent issues!!

No it has one coil for all 4 cylinders. I had considered maybe the coil was going out though but with it being so intermittent and no codes I don't know.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
No it has one coil for all 4 cylinders. I had considered maybe the coil was going out though but with it being so intermittent and no codes I don't know.

When the Accel (don't make that mistake!) coil started to go out on the Lincoln it would "buck" intermittently. Then it just shut off a few times. Then I put on a stock Mustang coil and it is still going, LOL!

It's the cam position sensor. Been there, done that.

Eventually it will do it long enough to get a CEL.

I think it took me all of 5 minutes to do it. Non-turbo models will probably be about 2 minutes.

The Mopar part is not that much more expensive than the Autozone Duralast. Get the Mopar. I think it was like $7 more. End of the bucking.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

I think it took me all of 5 minutes to do it. Non-turbo models will probably be about 2 minutes.

The Mopar part is not that much more expensive than the Autozone Duralast. Get the Mopar. I think it was like $7 more. End of the bucking.

Could see that for sure. If it isn't seeing its signal, the behaviour would be the same as the coil cutting out. Good call!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Could see that for sure. If it isn't seeing its signal, the behaviour would be the same as the coil cutting out. Good call!
thumbsup2.gif

I've heard that was a common issue for these? My description of the symptoms sound like what it would normally do then? I wasn't sure since it doesn't act up every time or anything. Just some times. And when it does its only for a second or 2 but it definitely shakes the engine pretty good.

That's exactly what my wife's was doing.

I'd go to her office, switch cars, and it was fine. No CEL. Nothing. Took about 15 minutes to do it again.

Happened at about 100,000 miles. The Duralast did the exact same thing. I thought it was the crank sensor which is a bit harder to get to. I took the advice of a tech I used to work with and bought a Mopar sensor. Problem solved. Brought the Autozone sensor back with the Dodge dealer receipt and the bag the sensor came in. They were reluctant but eventually refunded my money.

When you replaced it was it just a educated guess then since there wasn't a cel? I know it's stupid simple to replace just hope that's what it is but as was said above it makes sense and based on what I felt I'm inclined to think it very well could be that. Think O'Reilly or Napa sensors are any better than autozone? My work goes through them for none ford parts. I can have them order one from the dealer if it's really a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back