focus front cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice pics! Get any of the cams/ chain locked in place?

I'll try to tomorrow before we start on it again it's there on that picture but it'd on the back of the engine and you can't see it in this picture

ram_man:
Off Topic but you mention your co-worker being the 'transmission tech'. I really like my Focus and have considered buying an A/T model for my daughter but the 'Powershift' A/T scares me. Have they fixed all the issues yet?

Originally Posted By: pbm
ram_man:
Off Topic but you mention your co-worker being the 'transmission tech'. I really like my Focus and have considered buying an A/T model for my daughter but the 'Powershift' A/T scares me. Have they fixed all the issues yet?

99.9% of the "issues" are from people not realizing it's an automated manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
ram_man:

99.9% of the "issues" are from people not realizing it's an automated manual transmission.

and yes, there is a new clutch revision and a re-program 7/21/2014 that makes low speed and cold start driving MUCH improved.

What are those heavy doohickeys on the cam sprockets? Variable valve timing things or there for harmonic vibration reduction?

When I pull timing parts I let the engine sit at natural rest just past TDC. It's usually around 3 teeth. This is with the valve spring pressures all equalized, the crank could care less.

Then when I put it all back together i just add/ subract my bias, then spin it once to make sure TDC all matches.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My 2014 focus duratec 2.0 is leaking oil out of the front cover I've never done one and neither has the guy who's doing the repair. I am not allowed since it's a warranty deal and I could have a vested interest or some nonsense. But reading the service manual it calls for several different tools. Why? Why can't you just remove the stuff in the way remove crank pulley and unbolt the cover and be done? What the deal with locking the cams? And a bolt in the back of the block for the crank? Why is all that necessary ? And can someone give me some advice or pointers on doing this. Thank you all.
curious as a Focus owner, who found the leak and how many miles do you have?

ram_man:

How does "not realizing it's an automated manual" cause issues?

ram_man:

People that own these cars tend to have only owned cars with manual transmissions. They don't know how a clutch feels. That being said the clutch assemblies are really messed up. They are on something like a 3 month backorder. We have about 30 cars waiting for clutches at my work.

Over on You Tube FordTechMakuloco he reports that the early power shift DCT units had seal leaks the soaked the dry clutch packs with oil and that of course resorted in seriously slipping
transmissions with all manner of problems.

ram_man:

This info is incorrect in my experience. Number one issue is seal leaking and ruining the clutch. It's a bad design.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
My 2014 focus duratec 2.0 is leaking oil out of the front cover I've never done one and neither has the guy who's doing the repair. I am not allowed since it's a warranty deal and I could have a vested interest or some nonsense. But reading the service manual it calls for several different tools. Why? Why can't you just remove the stuff in the way remove crank pulley and unbolt the cover and be done? What the deal with locking the cams? And a bolt in the back of the block for the crank? Why is all that necessary ? And can someone give me some advice or pointers on doing this. Thank you all.

I have 8400 miles on the car

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

I have 8400 miles on the car
see above

ram_man:

it has the same tendencies as a manual does. It lurches/lugs at low speeds in parking lots, it has a "hill-hold" button so it isn't constantly slipping the clutch, it takes off like a manual does, in reality I've found it does best when you wring the crud out of it and drive it with some spirit.

They will shudder that's the problem with them because a seal leaks fluid on the clutch disc and it'll shudder. Ford covers this under and extended warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back