Time to Dump The Equinox or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I believe time might be near for our 08 Equinox. We had to drive it from Mississippi to our new home in Pennsylvania. First 150 miles in the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, engine, ABS, traction and stability lights all lit up. I also could faintly smell coolant (remember this for later) Crossed our fingers and rolled on. Eventually the engine light went off, but the ABS and traction lights didn't. It did make it, thank goodness. Popped the hood today and the coolant reservoir is an inch down and the oil is down a quart in the 1K mi drive. We took the car on a 2K mi roadtrip last October and it only used 1/2 quart of oil, can't remember coolant. Not too worried about oil consumption yet. Currently has about 85,000 miles, while I haven't had the chance to diagnose it yet, knowing the run of 3400 intake/head gasket problems narrows things. On the other hand it's almost paid off and is a rust free Southern car. Still drives and runs great. Anybody else own one of these 1st gen Equinox's experience anything similar? Gonna atlest pull the codes and pick up some coolant tomorrow.

Aren't IM gaskets known to cause some issues with coolant and oil on those? Seems like if it's still running on the original coolant, it could be causing that.

If it's normally short tripped, or it has been a cold/damp winter, a highway run could cause it to consume a bit as it "burns" the moisture out of the oil.

Electrical? Could just be a corroded connector. I wouldn't give up on a rust free vehicle over that!

A bad speed sensor will setoff all 4 lights making it seem much more dramatic of an issue than it really is. Once you pull the codes you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

I own a 2005 Equinox with 119,000. Recently had the LIM gasket and head gasket go. Coolant kept disappearing but never had and still do not have any oil consumption.

Ecotecs smell like coolant. It's "a thing".

As said above, one wire to a (front) wheel speed sensor can be responsible for all your lights.

Little by little I've noticed the bottle getting lower, but never more than a 1/2" in the past 6 mo. I guess the 17 hour strait drive wasn't helping. For now I'll top it off and watch the gauge till we get caught up so it can go to the dealer. As far as the ABS and traction lights, not sure about the Equinox, but I know GM's of the era liked to eat the ABS sensor and wheel bearing combo.

My silhouette van did that. Seemed to snag the wire on the ball joint stud, then turning stretched it and pulled it out of the bearing. Even though a clip existed to prevent this.

$35 later with a part from "Dearborn axle" and the light was off.
01.gif

Dump it. My neighbor had an Equinox. Within a period of 2-3 years it blew a head gasket and needed a transmission rebuild. Its a shame yours is having these issues at only 85,000 miles. 1 quart per 1,000 miles is a lot of oil to burn, especially if you are running a 0w40. Aren't those spec'd for 5w30 or 5w20?

I think a lot of it depends on what your money situation is. If you have it and dont wish to spend money on a new headgasket and LIM (if that is what it is diagnosed as) versus using it for a trade in. I had my headgasket and LIM replaced with a top end rebuild around 50k and the SUV has been running excellent since without any major repairs. Been very happy with it. Hard to say one way or another without looking at the vehicle.

On a 2008 Equinox, the wheel speed sensors are actually sold separate from the hubs and include a new bolt (at least when buying AC Delco). In addition to the sensor, there is a jumper harness that connects to the main body harness. In the front there are two of those harnesses, in the rear there is one that goes across to both sides.

2008 and 2010 completely different car. It sounds to me like it's definitely worth getting fixed. Wife has a 2012 equinox 2.4 that's been trouble free (although it's basically still an almost new car). A good independent shop should be able to handle this job. Would not go to the dealer if it was my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
2008 and 2010 completely different car. It sounds to me like it's definitely worth getting fixed. Wife has a 2012 equinox 2.4 that's been trouble free (although it's basically still an almost new car). A good independent shop should be able to handle this job. Would not go to the dealer if it was my car.

Yea we are weighing the options. The sensor or whatever ABS part doesn't bother me, that's something I can fix myself. As far as eating coolant, ehh, not something that should be a problem this early on. This is the only time its had issues in the 4 years we've had it. Would be a shame to get rid of a rust free car here in PA...

Too bad you aren't near me, I'd take it off your hands. $250 and a Saturday and I'd have a good running 'Nox.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I thought the LIM gasket thing was fixed around 2003???

I don't know, but you'd think they'd also be able to make vehicles with water pumps that don't leak either. But that's obviously not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back