Sometimes I wonder about my results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are that I will never buy a car with a CVT, direct injection, or a timing belt.

Add VVT and multi-cylinder displacement to that list too.

Saturn VUE had 5 different transmissions over the years, and 3 through 2005. Is your LTQI data able to tease out the difference between the CVT and the rest?

I am cautious about CVT transmissions too, especially on higher horsepower engines, but I love the VVT on my Corolla, it is long overdue technology and it's not like Toyota VVT or Honda VTEC is unreliable by any stretch of the imagination.

I believe the one and only problem with the VUEs' CVT was the factory fluid. Even GM later admitted you had to buy an additive to make it work properly.

Switching from the Dex-juice to Valvoline and, later, Amalie CVT fluid seems to have fixed the CVT in Mom's VUE.

I research a lot before I buy. There are still good vehicles out there. The ones in my sig are proven reliable, even (arguably) the bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Glad I have a MT on my truck. I think I dodged a bullet with my wife's Odyssey. No transmission problems in 12 years and 80k miles.

Dodged a bullet on a car with just 80k miles? I would think a Yugo could do that....lol

You don't know much about Honda transmission problems of that era. You were lucky to get 30k.

+1

Traded in a 2001 Odyssey last year at 244k with the transmission failing for the 4th time. Any V-6 Honda product that graces my driveway in the future will have a manual.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
My thoughts are that I will never buy a car with a CVT, direct injection, or a timing belt.

Add VVT and multi-cylinder displacement to that list too.

but will you buy a car with an automatic transmission? Reason I ask is, hands down its got to be the worst component as far as reliability and long term repair costs. Nothing else comes close. My thoughts on the CVT is, over the next decade, they will get better and better while the new 8-9-10 speed autos have the potential to be money pits. Long term I see CVT's as being more cost effective over the full life cycle. In reality, they are a very simple design.

OP, maybe this has already been posted, but I think it'd be cool to be able to filter the graphs and data on the webpages to certain model years. For example, the site appropriately shows the Honda Ridgeline to be one of Honda's most reliable vehicles, with very low failure rates of the transmission and engine. The Honda Odyssey, despite getting a transmission upgrade in 2004, and ultimately the Ridgeline's transmission in 2007, shows a poorer transmission reliability record...presumably because the data for older models is getting mixed in. Being able to filter for certain model year ranges would allow one to see how good newer models are...and just how bad the older ones were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back