VW 2.0 TSI - 2013 GLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks.

Looking for opinions. I have a modified and tuned VW 2.0 TSI running in central florida. Presently 40k miles on vehicle

For past 6 fills, I've been using Rotella T6. Blackstone labs have reported great results and still high TBN levels when doing 5k OCI's.

However, summer weather coming again -- and considering switching oils to try

Been looking at the MAG1 5w40 EURO formula. As it is thinner and close to the german castrol?

Any opinions? Or stay with the heavier and stout T6 oil.

I own a 2013 VW GTI and my wife owns a 2015 Audi A4. Please do us a favor and post your UOA's. These engines typically show more FE than many other engines. I think it's normal and doesn't affect the lifespan much. I'm sure the MAG1 5w40 EURO formula will work fine.
I posted a UOA of Castrol 0W40 on here. Castrol since came out with a newer Titanium formula.

Essentially want the peace of mind. I run the car very hard at times. Dyno runs, and WOT pulls.

Car is tuned and modified. I know the WRX Guys swear by T6 due to no burn off and holds its own

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Stick to Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 and call it a day.

You no longer running m1 esp?

I was using the OEM castrol for the first few warranty oil changes. the castrol 5w40 - but wanted something better.

is the 0w40 the new formula thats belgium? someone post links to UOA?

Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Stick to Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 and call it a day.

You no longer running m1 esp?

No, lost maybe a half of quart in 4K. Was not feeling confident that TBN can hold for 5K based on UOA. If I was in CA probably I would do it.
Trying now Castrol 0W40 in CC, will do UOA after second change.

Keep in mind. my 2.0 TSI is heavy modified. Doing turbo swap very soon as well.

I stick to 5k OCI and also run 93oct - different climate

Originally Posted By: ntoxicator
Keep in mind. my 2.0 TSI is heavy modified. Doing turbo swap very soon as well.

I stick to 5k OCI and also run 93oct - different climate

It will still do good with M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.
Stay at 5K (I do).
Those are top performance oil, and I am not sure that T6 will do any better then them, since M1 and Castrol 0W40 are designed for performance engines.

The GC 0w40 looks to be nice oil! Looked at the VOA and UOA.

Comapaired to the MAG1 Euro forumula - they're VERY closely the same.

MAG1 is little thicker, same NOACK %, but .2 lower TBN (9.8 vs 10)

the GC 0w40 is priced very well....

The GC 0w40 looks to be nice oil! Looked at the VOA and UOA.

Comapaired to the MAG1 Euro forumula - they're VERY closely the same.

MAG1 is little thicker, same NOACK %, but .2 lower TBN (9.8 vs 10)

the GC 0w40 is priced very well....

I would not overthink this.
You are in Florida, but I ran 0W30 in Alabama, which is more humid than FL. No issues at all. Also, I use M1 0W40 in my wife's Tiguan and Castrol in CC (used M1 in that one, trying to see how Castrol will do) and driving car over passes that are 12,00ft is much more demanding then heat in Florida. On those altitudes if you push car just a little bit more then usual, coolant temp immediately starts going up. Less oxygen means less transfer of heat between radiator and surrounding.
When it comes to MAG1 0W40, the NOACK is 12.9, while Castrol is 9.1%, and M1 is 8.7%. 5W40 NOACK is 10%, still higher then M1 or Castrol. Also, that oil is not approved by VW etc, especially by MB, and their 229.5 approval is VERY important.

Look at MAG1 euro formula. its 5w40
http://www.mag1.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=feb26b17-c445-4631-ac06-5f688312182f

That is where I got the comparison from.

Yeah, I saw it when I send first reply. It has Higher NOACK, nothing special there. What are "advance synthetic base stocks?" Ester? PAO?
If you are going for some fancy oil go for Redline 5W30.
Also, MAG is not approved, same like Redline, but Redline has more tracking and is more transparent.

I'll goto local AAP and wmart and see if that have the GC 0w40 titanium on the shelf. Amazon only has the 0w40 without titanium. Not sure if there is a VOA difference.

I'll check pricing and grab a 5quart jug. The MAG1 looks nice, but is slightly more expensive

As it stands, I havnt been running VW approved oil for the last 20k miles.

I'll goto local AAP and wmart and see if that have the GC 0w40 titanium on the shelf. Amazon only has the 0w40 without titanium. Not sure if there is a VOA difference.

I'll check pricing and grab a 5quart jug. The MAG1 looks nice, but is slightly more expensive

As it stands, I havnt been running VW approved oil for the last 20k miles.

I get M1 and Castrol in Wal Mart. I usually used M1 (after they pulled 0W30 GC) but I am trying now Castrol. Based on my UOA, I know that M1 is extremely shear stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back