Gen6 Camaro to be unveiled 5/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to sign up for the unveiling on Belle Isle, but the event is already full. I got on the waiting list.

If the 6th-Gen Camaro weighs about as much as my 4th-Gen, and has better visibility when looking out of the car, I'll be very tempted to get one.

Last edited:
5th gen has the poorest visibility of anything ive ever sat in. Almmost bought a RS 6cyl - beautiful car for the $$ (very low 20s) - but the visibility was poor and the MT shifted poorly also. I couldn't find 2nd gear most of the time and I'm a pro with a stick - oops that doesn't sound good. I think Pony cars are dead except for divorced 40or50 sumptin "office managers"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The car isn't selling well. Every time I see one, a woman is behind the wheel.

It's a popular hood car around here. A base V6 is in well equipped gas Cruze/base Malibu payment range, then throw on some 24s and stick on chrome, and you have "det donk Chevy," or a "hot Chevy," or "inside peanut butter outside jelly Chevy" or whatever for the price of a much less hood rich/flashy car. This is probably why behind Silverados, most of the cars on our lot are V6 Camaros.

But they don't seem to resonate with enthusiasts. Possibly because the performance models are SO much more expensive. A ZL1 starts at around $55K and a Z28 is something like $72K. Not many want to pay that much for a new Camaro. As much of the GM Performance Parts catalog is dedicated to the current Camaro, NOBODY ever asks about that stuff, at least not around here.

Of course this will vary by market.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It's a popular hood car around here. A base V6 is in well equipped gas Cruze/base Malibu payment range, then throw on some 24s and stick on chrome, and you have "det donk Chevy,"...

It's the new "rice". The Camaro is second only to 300s and Chargers around here, for cars with rented 24" wheels and rubber bands. "Mods" consist of wheels and tint and, only sometimes, big speakers.

GM will deliver its 500,000th fifth generation this month. They've outsold Mustang every year of its existance. Sales were up in '14 and are ahead of that pace YTD '15.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

GM will deliver its 500,000th fifth generation this month. They've outsold Mustang every year of its existance. Sales were up in '14 and are ahead of that pace YTD '15.

Yep, he doesn't like ZF gearboxes either!

The 1LE Camaro is only 75 pounds heavier than a loaded GT Stang, and is a GREAT track rat. I'm in the market for one right now if I can get one the way I want. Many drivers like its track manners as much as the Boss 302, and that's good company. Pretty cheaply priced IF you can find one!

Styling is a personal taste thing, Works for me and many others, but definitely not for everybody. But sales don't lie...

Last edited:
Ignorant & demeaning to women

DETROIT – Talk about a big family: Chevrolet expects to deliver the 500,000th fifth-generation Camaro in the United States this month.

The fifth-generation Camaro has been a runaway success for Chevrolet since it went on sale in August 2009. Camaro passed Mustang in 2010, to become America’s best-selling performance car – a title Camaro has retained for five consecutive years. In the process, the Camaro has helped build the Chevrolet family – with 63 percent of retail buyers new to GM.

“The fifth-generation Camaro has clearly resonated with both long-time Camaro fans, and first time performance-car buyers,” said Todd Christensen, Camaro marketing manager. “That sets the bar high for the next chapter of the car’s history.”

Remarkably, the Camaro continues to gain momentum, even as the fifth-generation Camaro nears the end of production this year. In 2014, Camaro total sales increased 7.1 percent for its second-best year of sales since its introduction. For the first two months of 2015, total sales are up 3.6 percent over 2014:

August through December 2009

2010 calendar year

2011 calendar year

2012 calendar year

2013 calendar year

2014 calendar year

January through February 2015

Total

I've already seen a bunch of them in different trim levels because I work at the plant where it's built but I want to keep my job so I can't tell you what it looks like. Sorry....

I rented a 5th gen convertible SS model in Las Vegas about a year and a half ago... I definitely enjoyed it, but I thought the seats should have been better. Visibility was poor, but maybe not as bad as the car's reputation makes it out to be. Biggest complaint is the car just didn't 'feel' right to me. For the money, I think the Mustang is a better car.

Here's hoping they iron out some of the issues in the Gen 6 cars.

Originally Posted By: yougoJAY
It will only improve on the ALPHA chassis - There is a LOT riding on this car & I doubt GM will mess it up.

I can't believe how well the Alpha drives, it's a really nice driving and riding platform, not to mention a lot of fun. I am sure this gen Camaro will be a treat to drive.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Dont matter if you cant see out the thang.

My solution is to simply put the top down.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I've already seen a bunch of them in different trim levels because I work at the plant where it's built but I want to keep my job so I can't tell you what it looks like. Sorry....

Hope you guys can equal or exceed the workmanship of the folks in Oshawa. They build a good car.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I rented a 5th gen convertible SS model in Las Vegas about a year and a half ago... I definitely enjoyed it, but I thought the seats should have been better. Visibility was poor, but maybe not as bad as the car's reputation makes it out to be. Biggest complaint is the car just didn't 'feel' right to me. For the money, I think the Mustang is a better car.

Here's hoping they iron out some of the issues in the Gen 6 cars.

When I took delivery of mine, the one thing I wanted to improve was throttle response. I thought the stock setup was a bit mushy. After a typical suite of boltons (long tube headers into stock dual-mode catback, cold air intake, ported throttle body and dynotune), I am thrilled with the power and response of this car. These mods add 50 rwhp and dramatically improved throttle response which improves the driveability magnificently. I love getting in this car in a way I've never felt about any other.

The LGR plant puts out some world class quality. I'm sure we will exceed your expectations. And yes, Oshawa builds good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Hope you guys can equal or exceed the workmanship of the folks in Oshawa. They build a good car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back