NASA scientist:1 year California water supply left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very probably. Too many people using too much water - somethings gotta give!.
It has been predicted that the next global conflict will be over water resources.

Claud.

They have an odd approach to water rights. Basically, those who were there first get to squander it.

Interesting how they're working out a $500 fine for "over-watering the lawn". Seems like a day late, dollar short.

The area has overpopulated an already arid part of the country, and now they're surprised when a drought (which has happened before and will happen again) has devastated the water supply. It wasn't a matter of if it would ever happen, it was just a matter of when.

The interesting part of this is that some scientists believe California is going back to it's normal much drier climate. In other words recent decades have been actually wetter than normal.
Yes, they have only themselves to blame.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The interesting part of this is that some scientists believe California is going back to it's normal much drier climate. In other words recent decades have been actually wetter than normal.
Yes, they have only themselves to blame.

The same has been said of Australia. On the other hand Western Europe is believed to be getting wetter.
We will need a lot more long term data to make a proper judgement.
This may also be the first warnings that large cities in Arizona and New Mexico are on borrowed time. It has been mooted that a drying climate signalled the end for the Aztec and Inca civilisations.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I thought California was going to invest a zillion dollars in desalination plants dotted along the coast.

I believe we will see plants in Mexico before the US, and a pipe line brought up into the SW US for distribution. Desalination plants require prime real estate ocean front property (strike one), would have to adhere to EPA standards and permits (strike two) and would generate tens of thousands of gallons of highly concentrated high temperature saline brine water along with traces of chemical cleaning agents to be discharged into the ocean daily which is lethal to aquatic life (strike three). However, if the plants are built a short distance over the border in Mexico and piped up here, all the above barriers virtually "wash away".

The LA river was running yesterday, about 10' wide and an inch deep, maybe a few people were washing their cars at the same time! On a serious note it only rains 10-20 inches per year in most of the cities in CA. With the drought many places are only seeing 5-10 inches per year. We are going from 3-4 months of a wet season with run-off to zero. Many small streams along the coast aren't even breaking through to the ocean. Many city's have de-sal plants but its AG that uses the majority of the water. Oranges, avocados, lettuce, strawberries and grapes are just a few of the crops that the world depends on CA for. The only thing that's not debated about water here it that we need a lot and have a little.

I’m a native San Dieagn. I’m also a 4th generation southern California. I grew up watching my dad collect rainwater in the 60s to water our gardens and lawn. He was 50 years ahead of the time. I have rain barrels to collect rainwater to water my garden. We have buckets in our kitchen and bathroom to collect the water until it heats up. That goes to water plants.

The end fault lies with us, the voters, who have allowed the politicians to pretty much do nothing about this. Why did we even pass the bullet train initiative when the water issues hadn’t been resolved? Why do we suffer from the Popeye (Wimpy) syndrome of “I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today?" If we had just demanded that something be done YEARS ago and been vocal about it, this wouldn’t be an issue. But we allowed our politicians to ignore reality, so they worked on other minor things.
We voted them in so we deserve what we get.

A few years ago, my city of Poway came up with a 5 tier water rate system (They paid a consultant $250,000 for it). It rewarded those who conserved with lower rates and those that wanted to keep their lawns green, paid a higher rate. Well, a few months later, the residents in the affluent section of town had a fit because of their water rates and put pressure on the city council to abolish it (That council meeting where they abolish the 5 tier was interesting. One resident from the affluent section got up and said “If you can’t afford to live here, then move!”). Since the money for elections comes from that area, the council rejected the 5 tier system. Reading the article below, it looks like other affluent areas don’t care for the 5 tier system which means they have to pay more for water. So until politicians decide to do what is best for the majority of the residents, California will always be screwed.

http://www.latimes.com/local/orangecounty/la-me-water-law-20150227-story.html

> In an op-ed published Thursday by the Los Angeles Times, Jay Famiglietti, a senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, painted a dire picture of the state’s water crisis.

Hm, op-ed. So not science. And, in the LA Times. Please ring me next year.

If you're interested in getting it from the horse's mouth

I think the real reason for the attention is this:
Quote:
Second, the implementation of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act of 2014 should be accelerated. The law requires the formation of numerous, regional groundwater sustainability agencies by 2017. Then each agency must adopt a plan by 2022 and “achieve sustainability” 20 years after that.

That has to be a CARB/SCAQMD type bureaucracy push, which will regulate groundwater in an entirely different way, stripping every existing right and replacing it with appointed (not elected) officials.

Meanwhile, the LA Times comments section seems to be pushing guilt, and Veganism is the solution.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I thought California was going to invest a zillion dollars in desalination plants dotted along the coast.
They are building a railroad to nowhere instead. According to NASA Global Warming means they'll have plenty of water to remove the salt from.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
They have an odd approach to water rights. Basically, those who were there first get to squander it.

Interesting how they're working out a $500 fine for "over-watering the lawn". Seems like a day late, dollar short.
Yes in some jurisdictions you can get a citation for a brown lawn.

Last edited:
I suppose it is somewhat related, but when I was at the Hoover Dam recently, the water level was really low...

DCF4A1DA-42A2-454D-8AD7-3D528A9F035D_zpsfkoygmhk.jpg

2D84042F-BC3E-40F1-B2B8-CA72AD40CF90_zpsn4qwgjul.jpg

Part of the water problem is that the court in California has determined in 2008 that it's better to let a large portion of the water flow out into the ocean to protect a 3 inch long fish, the delta smelt. instead of being used for growing food for humans.

It was determined by the court that this decision should be allowed to stand without regard to the financial impact to the people of California even though it violates Fish and Game rules and regulations. The Ninth Circuit Court agrees that the value of the delta smelt should be placed above the needs of humans even if there has been no proof that these measures have proved to be successful in protecting the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back