Is oem Always The Best Choice For Air Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the shop we don't stock air filters but i was wondering what is the best air filters to use.. Is oem always the safe choice? I find oem always fits the best in the airbox.. I find pureone to filter great but sometimes too good and a little restrictive sometimes. (i saw this on my moms 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis the qsud seems to looks clean all the time with the pureone air filter but it seems to have noticeable less mid range power with the pure one. What does everyone think when it comes to air filters? oem? Synthetic? Purolater? fram? etc?

I bought a pair of Fram Extra Guard filters (one for the GMC one for the Chevelle) last time they were on sale and was suitably impressed (soft pliable seal for the GMC airbox). Usually I buy from GM but I went with these sale Frams and apart from the garish orange color they seem fine.

only changed the filter once from oem. didnt notice a difference from one to the other in performance or mpg. i change every 20,000 miles.

Mostly OEM for me (Fleetguard and MC)

Fleetguard and Donaldson proved years ago that dry (nanofiber) technology far exceeds filtration efficiencies of oiled elements.

If oiled filter elements were superior, you would see them in OEM heavy duty engine applications. The fact that they are only available in the aftermarket world speaks volumes.

For imports I tend to go OEM since they tend to use special media. For domestic apps I go with OEM or Fram TG (in the factory they probably make some of the domestic OEM filters as I found out in an ACDelco filter I have.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrmason

Fleetguard and Donaldson proved years ago that dry (nanofiber) technology far exceeds filtration efficiencies of oiled elements.

If oiled filter elements were superior, you would see them in OEM heavy duty engine applications. The fact that they are only available in the aftermarket world speaks volumes.

probably good thinking.
I like fram but bought one once where the foam edging was falling off in pieces, but also I like Denso for their quality control in general, wish Japanese made more of our products or controlled the making of more of the products, too many American CEOs outsource to china and the just get the money while quality goes down and stays down. still don't understand why a saw blade is cheaper from China than from 200 miles away in north carolina

Last edited:
When it comes to German vehicles, some of the Purolator air filters for them are made by Mann in Europe. This Purolator/mann filter is the same exact one that came in my German made GTI. This Purolator says Mann filter on it.

5wme5s.png

^^^^ I recently bought a maintenance kit (air, oil, fuel filter)for the wife's TDI through IDParts. I did some research on them before I bought the kit and they appear to be quality filters.

Original OEM air filter in my 2004 S2000 is lightly oiled. I believe all Honda OEM air filters for all models are lightly oiled too.

Denso for Japanese cars (usually the OE supplier or reboxed OEM), Mann or Mahle for European cars (usually the OE supplier for them anyway).

Nothing wrong with the TG and P1 air filters, either, but they're not available for every car. They have only a slight amount of oil on them, nowhere near enough to damage a MAF.

Also, some TG aren't oiled anymore, such as the TGA7351.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Original OEM air filter in my 2004 S2000 is lightly oiled. I believe all Honda OEM air filters for all models are lightly oiled too.

I was referring to larger displacement HD engines such as those found in dozers, dumps, track hoe's, tractors, etc. These filters have to be able to efficiently filter large volumes of air and often in dusty environments at high engine loads for 150+ hrs (unless in a severe environment).
Construction, mining, and Ag equipment typically sees some of the harshest conditions an engine will ever see.

They must of carried that over from their dirt bike and quad tech
grin.gif

The engines aren't much bigger!
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back