Radiator seam leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed the coolant overflow tank was close to empty in my I35 last week. Topped it off and noticed it was low again today. Peaked around and saw dried and fresh coolant residue all along the upper seam, just like in the pic below I found on the web of another car. Some coolant has also dripped down on the sides of the radiator and near the cooling fans. Interestingly, the radiator isn't low on coolant and the car isn't overheating or anything. Heating works fine, too, albeit with a sweet scent of coolant. No clue how long the seam's been leaking like this.

Anyone recommendations for radiators? I hear good things about Koyo Rad. As much as I'd like to do this job myself, I just don't have the time at the moment and will probably take it to my indy, along with some Zerex Asian coolant.

Jeep_Radiator_Leak_1.jpg

Last edited:
I like Koyo. Did one in 2011, still fine today. First one was damaged in shipping.

I just bought a Spectrum from Amazon for my F-150. Was almost 1/2 the price of any parts store that I checked and free shipping. Seems to be good quality. $125 shipped versus over $200 at parts store.

I have a new koyo radiator "made in china" with plastic tanks that I'm going to put in my CRV this summer. Where are your Koyo radiators made?

Clean it off and make sure it's not a leaking cap or hose. Coolant always collects around that ridge and can run all the way around the rad.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I have a new koyo radiator "made in china" with plastic tanks that I'm going to put in my CRV this summer. Where are your Koyo radiators made?

Mine was made in china, as are all koyos. They do have Japanese QC on site though.

I recommend the Spectra Premium at Autozone. They fit right and I really recommend not mail ordering a radiator since fit and warranty issues are likely to be a problem.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I recommend the Spectra Premium at Autozone. They fit right and I really recommend not mail ordering a radiator since fit and warranty issues are likely to be a problem.

I got the part number and verified it was the correct Spectra radiator and ordered it on Amazon. Was half the price of Autozone, O'reilly's, Advance, etc. Free shipping in a sturdy box packed in styrofoam. No damage at all.

Last edited:
I was at a shop a while back an they fixed a radiator that was leaking from the seam like yours. They did it by hitting the metal tabs down a little more just be careful when you do. Its worth a try before you get a new one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

I got the part number and verified it was the correct Spectra radiator and ordered it on Amazon. Was half the price of Autozone, O'reilly's, Advance, etc. Free shipping in a sturdy box packed in styrofoam. No damage at all.

When I check for a radiator for my car, it's more expensive on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back