5w25 motorcraft !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mer

I have a good stash of mc 5w20 & a lesser amount of 5w30, so I have done a 50/50 mix for my ford f-150 5.4 2v...seem to run great. !!

I want to know......

How do u know what you are mixing? Is oil base of 5w20 the same as from 5w30?

How is with oil consumption after that mixing?

Its funny that oil companies are spending miliones for testing their oils......and than comes some mister mer and he wants to play "home lab technician"
smile.gif

That is sick
smile.gif
Sorry

Oil base is the same, no oil consumption !!!

Thanks for your PROFESSIONAL opinion !!

You don't know that. At a minimum, the 5W-30 will have more VII.

Originally Posted By: mer
Oil base is the same,

I would have no problem thickening up 5w20 with some 5w30 of the same brand. I would imagine they are close enough in composition to mix well and create a good blend.

I have thought of doing this with Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and 0w30.....does anybody think the resultant mix would work less well than either oil on it's own?

in my moms 2005 mercury grand marquis with under 50,000 miles i use 4 quarts of 5w20 and 2 quarts of 5w30 qsud and a motorcraft filter it runs great! In the winter its all 5w20
I did this to use a 5qt jug of qsud.
Im thinking of not using motorcraft filters anymore after i use the last one because they are made by purolator and i dont trust them anymore. I change her oil every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would have no problem thickening up 5w20 with some 5w30 of the same brand. I would imagine they are close enough in composition to mix well and create a good blend.

I have thought of doing this with Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and 0w30.....does anybody think the resultant mix would work less well than either oil on it's own?

I didn't try M1 AFE 0w20 with 0w30, I tried M1 AFE 0w20 with 0w40 with 40-60 ratio in my S2000, it works great. Next I will do M1 0W20 EP with 0W40 with the same ratio 40-60.

I also had 3 quarts M1 0W20 with 5 quarts 0W40 in my E430. Engines seems to be quieter and acceleration seems to be a little faster.

Nothing wrong with mixing.

5w25 isn't a SAE spec. But for a boutique or homebrew, it exists if said blender wants to call it that while thumbing nose at SAE's J300.

Ive seen nonSAE 2.5w, 3w, 7.5w, 12.5w...25, 35...

Originally Posted By: pbm

The whole point, IMO, of 0W-20, is fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I want to know......

How do u know what you are mixing? Is oil base of 5w20 the same as from 5w30?

How is with oil consumption after that mixing?

Its funny that oil companies are spending miliones for testing their oils......and than comes some mister mer and he wants to play "home lab technician"
smile.gif

That is sick
smile.gif
Sorry

Mr. mer is by far not the first person on BITOG to mix viscosities. All certified oils are required by the API specifications to be able to be mixed together without separation. In mer's case, he has mixed a 20 weight with a 30 weight, so he's probably got a light 30 in his engine. Since he has mixed two Motorcraft oils together, the additive packages will be the same or very similar, so he's basically got the same oil as either, with just a slightly different viscosity.

Last edited:
I myself have been mixing M1 0W-40 with others for many years with nothing but outstanding UOA!

Mer! No Worries!

It was Nothing but what most are Simple Minded Opinions!!

In my New 5.7L Hemi--->Right now I have 5qts M1 AFE 0W-30 & 2qts M1 0W-40 and she is so smooth/so quiet/Very Responsive!

No Cels for the VVT, If so good to know one can doctor a 0w-30 with some 0w-40 for the hemi.

I just ordered a GC Overland with the hemi, debating running xw-20 or xw-30.

how do you like the hemi and 8HP70?

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I myself have been mixing M1 0W-40 with others for many years with nothing but outstanding UOA!

Mer! No Worries!

It was Nothing but what most are Simple Minded Opinions!!

In my New 5.7L Hemi--->Right now I have 5qts M1 AFE 0W-30 & 2qts M1 0W-40 and she is so smooth/so quiet/Very Responsive!

I doubt that mister mer knows what he want...he is probably bored a little bit and he wants to play a little bit with oil....

VNTS: She is Awesome! I bought this truck for the 8 speed! The 5.7L Hemi is a legend by itself! It is a Interstate/Turnpike Cruiser!

My manual says I can use a 5W-30 if 5W-20 can not be found or if heavy towing is needed with No ill effects so I just chose to go outside the box a little!!! No CEL! as to date!

Viscosity Calculator shows I am at a 34wt with this mix... The 5.7L seems to respond very well to this Mix! The MDS is where the problem would arise do to it works off of Oil PSI!

KameleOn:--->Why Even Worry about what Mer is doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back