Washing Vehicle Undercarriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the dissolved salt that would be a bummer. Worse than not washing it at all. I have never heard of a car wash that recycles water but don't live in a water scare part of the country. Most around here will rinse with deionized water; aka Spot Free.

Well a quick "google" search claims that most states require recycled water to be filtered.

I think if it wasn't the rinse water would leave the car white.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Well a quick "google" search claims that most states require recycled water to be filtered.

I think if it wasn't the rinse water would leave the car white.

Filtered salt water makes no sense either. Salt goes into solution, so "filtering" it out would require Reverse Osmosis, D.I., or distillation.

It's hard to believe that car washes have R.O. or D.I. units large enough to handle the large amounts generated.

IF recycling does happen, it would need filtering to remove all the dirt particles. Salt solution, tough to imagine. Maybe the recycling type places use fresh water as the final rinse.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/road-salt-in-car-wash-water.aspx

auto

Is road salt in commercial car-wash water?

By Tara Baukus Mello • Bankrate.com

Tara Baukus MelloQ: Dear Driving for Dollars,
I live in New England and in the winter, they use a lot of salt on the roads. I always hesitate taking my car to the car wash in the winter months. I thought that since they are reusing the water, it must be loaded with salt. My friend says I shouldn't worry. Who is right?
-- Stan

More On Cars:

Car safety features for winter driving

Car maintenance moves not to skip

A: Dear Stan,
Your friend is probably right. In most states, there are Environmental Protection Agency regulations in place that require car washes to recycle or "reclaim" their water and treat it to remove all the dirt, oil, grime, sludge, salt and anything else. And in some places, city or county ordinances are in place to test that the car washes are doing their job, akin to the Health Department checking up on a restaurant to be sure it meets the health codes. Sometimes, self-service car washes are regulated differently than full-service washes that use machines that touch or are touchless to clean your car.

Find the best auto loan rates at Bankrate.com.

There are various ways that car washes can get the salt and other solids out of their water before they use it again on someone else's car. The systems can include different types of filtration, separating out the solid particles and even treating the water to dissolve solids such as salt.

If you really are concerned about what is in the water from the car washes in your area, you can contact your city or town to ask about their regulations for car wash businesses or visit the EPA site for your state.

I would think this device would do little to remove the salt...now if there was an attachment like this that you could put on a pressure washer, that might be different...I find the best way to rinse salt off my vehicle is driving down the highway during a downpour...

I want to say I saw an attachment by Karcher for pressure washers that does a similar thing. But attaches to electric pressure washers. I live in California so cleaning under the car is probably not necessary here unless you launch a boat in the saltwater fairly often. I still get under there the best I can once in a while to get it clean. Then I spray wd40 on the hardware and bushings, that kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back