Are you a roach, mooch or a laydown??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly mooch, with a pinch of laydown. I always research my cars and know exactly what I want before shopping. The salesman doesn't have to "sell" me anything.

It still amazes me in this day and age that this type of sales platform still exists where the price tag is not the price tag at all and although you fight to the end to get the best deal, you will never know whether you did or not. There is so much "behind the scenes" jockeying that happens with fake invoices and the like, that it is nothing short of one big joke. It does not surprise me in the slightest that car salesmen talk about their "marks" in this manner. TBT I would rather buy a new car from a computer--at least then I would not have to deal with the full load of bovine scatology that most of them dump on most of the customers.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
It still amazes me in this day and age that this type of sales platform still exists where the price tag is not the price tag at all and although you fight to the end to get the best deal, you will never know whether you did or not. There is so much "behind the scenes" jockeying that happens with fake invoices and the like, that it is nothing short of one big joke. It does not surprise me in the slightest that car salesmen talk about their "marks" in this manner. TBT I would rather buy a new car from a computer--at least then I would not have to deal with the full load of bovine scatology that most of them dump on most of the customers.

Agree,
On the rare occasion that i have had to buy from a Dealer I have left feeling I need a
shower!

Can't be good for the industry!

I'm a mooch.
The dealership sales model will persist forever, since state franchise laws that were enacted to protect dealers pretty well mandate it, even if your name is Elon Musk.
Pretty sure that the manufacturers would love to get rid of the current retail selling model.
Can't do it by law.

That article reminded me of the stories a friend of mine told me after going through sales training for a major Ford dealer in Fort Worth. The catch phrase they were taught was, "Buyers are liars if their lips are moving." I'm a mooch, too.

I am a mooch, I guess. I also have over a 800 credit score. I don't like the fact that they act like people are harassing them. That little game they play at dealerships with running back and forth with the manager with offers, counter offers and counter-counter offers is enough to aggravate me. I went to four dealerships last time before buying my last truck new, none wanted to just state the out the door price. It was always how much can you afford a month. How can we configure payments to get you in this car. How about you tell me the out the door price for this vehicle, don't worry about how I pay for it, give me your bottom line, if its the best I ll be back after I shop at other dealerships. Only one dealership would give me a out the door price, I ended up buying there. So its hard to feel for dealerships, they gave themselves a bad name.

Not sure if anyone will admit to being a roach....

I'm kinda like panzerman, I like to streamline through the [censored]....

Most of the local dealerships here avoid the old school games...but a few people who are buying up some of the dealerships here are now trying to play that game...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Not sure if anyone will admit to being a roach....

Yeah, the posed question was rhetorical in nature. I just asked it to inspire enough curiosity to click the link -- to expose the dastardly ways of the stealerships.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
It still amazes me in this day and age that this type of sales platform still exists where the price tag is not the price tag at all and although you fight to the end to get the best deal, you will never know whether you did or not.

I sort of look at it from the opposite perspective. Car buying is to some degree a last vestige of the bartering system, truly "trading" one thing for another. In fact, in the south that's exactly what it used to be called, whether you were paying cash or not. You hear older folks say, "I used to trade with so-and-so at this dealership until he left, so I started trading with this other guy..."

In reality, nearly everything is negotiable...it's just that the car dealership is the last remaining place where "the game" is played. Real estate is another such area, but "the game" is much more structured, often going through agents to negotiate with the other side.

I enjoy buying cars. I enjoy working with people and getting practice at that kind of thing. It never hurts to have the skill of tactful negotiation, and there are few places to hone that skill anymore. I'll admit that with an 800+ credit score and not having to rely on the dealership for financing, I have nothing to fear from car sales folks. With that said, I FAR prefer an "open price" type scenario to the "closed price" take-it-or-leave-it concept at places like CarMax. At least with an open price concept, you have the chance of not getting taken for a ride.

With CarMax, you know you're getting steam-rolled.

Total mooch. Every last penny counts.
grin.gif

I found most dealers were not to interested in selling me a truck. I don't know how they stay in business.

I'd much prefer a business model like Tesla's.

Mooch.

I don't mind paying the advertised price. That's why I am there in the first place. I've already shopped other prices

I'm probably not going to accept the first finance offer. I have a good enough credit score that anything over 2%, I can go to a bank and get a better rate. Toyota really wants me to finance through them again and they give free GAP insurance.

I know what my trade in is worth. Because I maintained it, it is probably actually worth more. I am not unreasonable. Just don't immediately lowball me. I don't feel like haggling over what my car is worth. Get close at least. (last Chevy dealer actually gave me about $500 more than I expected for a 180,000mi 10 year old car with a dent on the roof from an errant foul ball and another on the hatch from a runaway shopping cart...I guess they really wanted that trade in)

I am not afraid to just walk away. Ask, Trophy Nissan, Autonation Ford or Vandergriff Chevrolet. You start throwing in needless dealer markups, tell me I only qualify for 5.9% interest, or tell me a different price applies, and I will politely thank you for your time and walk away.

So, I guess I am a mooch. So be it.

I don't know...I don't pay the asking price but I don't lowball either...buying a used car takes some research...and luck (how 'desperate' is the seller?)

I offer a fair price I'm willing to pay (including all the ifs, ands and buts) and "lay down" if it's accepted....last time that was 15% under the lowest of the dealer's 3 advertised prices (25% less than the highest internet "offering"), including a new windshield and the removal of a dead lizard from a headlight unit...both "safety" related demands that the dealer agreed to...

From my perspective I got exactly what I wanted (a stick) for the car's trade in value, and the dealer got to sell a "dog", a Camry stick that might be on the lot for long long time...we both jumped at the opportunity...

I don't know if I'm a roach, mooch, laydown, or something else, and really wouldn't care much one way or the other.

I do know a car salesman can't sell you a car, so if you value your time, why waste it dealing with one? I also know that cars are a commodity item. No matter how special, rare, collectible (lol), blah, joe public has been hyped up to think it is - it's just a darn car.

Best bet is to decide what the item is worth to you, and not worry much about it past that. If you have to squeeze the last nickel out of something, maybe it's not time to be buying a new car.

edit: buying something like a car should be fun - they only way to make it an ordeal is to turn it into one. The purchaser has complete control over that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back