Nice Truck with a R Title. Should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my daughter turned 16 and got her license, we went to more drivers in the house than vehicles and although I have a company truck for work, I gave my wife my personal low mileage Dodge 2500 and now I am the one that finds myself without anything to drive when everyone is gone. My 91 yo neighbor has a nice 2007 Ford F150 FX2. Its really nice loaded truck. He recently bought a New mustang and has no need for the truck, he said they wouldn't give him anything on a trade for it because it had a R title. He bought it in 2013 and put as little over 1000 miles on it, since he bought it. The truck has 66,888 miles on it now. He told me he would sell it to me for $7000. He said he doesn't think there is anything wrong with the truck and take it and drive it for awhile and gave me the keys. He told me keep it a week, a month whatever. I had it all day and it runs good, drives nice and straight, no shimmy or weird noises. He also gave me a Carfax and it said it was listed a Total Loss in North Carolina in 2013 for vandalism with no structural damage. The only damage I see on it is a knife cut in the passenger door armrest, down to the cushion and the gauge glass has three deep cuts on it. The seats seem new in the front, the back seem like the original, leather seats. So I am thinking it was interior damage/ No leaks underneath, no sign of new parts or body work or any suspension work. It does have a slight clunk, very slight when pulling from a dead stop and the reverse takes a couple of seconds to pop in, but only a couple seconds. Two of the air pressure gauges are bad and that is only lights or codes that come up. They are about a 100 dollars to replace, other than that it just looks neglected. Needs new wipers, dirty and smelly, but would clean up nice. No paint chips or rust. The engine compartment looks like new and the engine is super dry. Michelins all the way around and new Michelin spare underneath. Tires are about 50%. I am going to contact my insurance agent on Monday and see if I can insure a R title car, not sure if I will get full coverage, although its nice, what would I get in a wreck, would it be worth it? Maybe just liability. Not sure yet, I ll have to talk to them and see. I wont be financing it, but buying it cash. What do you think is it a good deal? Anything I am forgetting to check. The truck would just be a spare and my personal run around truck after work and on weekends. I use the company truck for about everything, since I am on the road all day anyway. Whats your thoughts???

As long as it is not a flood car and you can get it insured - go for it!

A lot of times, getting R title vehicles insured can be a pain.

My brother has a salvage title Acura TL that has given him years of good service.

Only thing when you try to sell it you get half of book, or less.

Consider that as well.

He bought the car with like 10k miles and now has 120k miles and zero problems.

His was hit in the rear.

Devil you know...

I'd take a rebuilt truck from a neighbor I know vs a "clean title certified pre-owned" off a lot.

If it was insurable, yeah, I'd be really tempted. Actually, as far as insurance goes, you don't really need collision on something in that price range. Assuming you are paying cash for it.

I won't buy salvage title cars. There is a reason they were totaled, obviously they were fixed on the cheap and they are usually a headache. The worst part is, they are tough to dump when they turn out to be a nightmare - very few people will touch them as your neighbor found out.

If the dealer who knows the car business won't touch it...

Sounds like he's giving you about $3k off of a private party price for the Rebuilt title. I think it depends on how long you plan on keeping it. Resale time will leave you with a head ache but if you let it go cheap enough you will find a buyer. If I was to buy something like that it would be to drive the wheels off of it with no plans on resale.

If you want it for a local run about/ hauler/ mudder, go for it. I'd try to get him down a few more $s. Who knows what the thieves did to the tranny though, if they drove it like nuts it could be compromised.

I think on a rebuilt title, the discount is typically 20-40% off book value. The thing is that all warranties from the manufacturer are now void. You might have had a little bit of the 8/80k federal emissions warranty or they could issue extended warranties, but because it's a salvage title, they don't have to honor it. Find out what the dealer offered him and offer him a few hundred over that if you really want it. Run an autocheck also, carfax misses stuff that autocheck finds.

I plan on keeping it pretty much forever. Getting my use out of it to the point of when I sell it, it will not be important at all about having a R title for $1500 or so bucks and 150,000 miles. I would think the dealer doesn't want it, because they can't get financing on the truck. How many cars or trucks would a dealership sell if it had to sell cash?

The transmission clunk could be a problem with the drive shaft or torque converter and the reverse not engaging correctly all sound like an expensive repair awaiting ahead.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I won't buy salvage title cars. There is a reason they were totaled, obviously they were fixed on the cheap and they are usually a headache. The worst part is, they are tough to dump when they turn out to be a nightmare - very few people will touch them as your neighbor found out.

If the dealer who knows the car business won't touch it...

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The transmission clunk could be a problem with the drive shaft or torque converter and the reverse not engaging correctly all sound like an expensive repair awaiting ahead.

Actually, it sounds like the slip yoke needs grease...10-minute, $5 fix.

No thanks. There are just too many potential headaches with a vehicle like that, both mechanically and with the paperwork.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Devil you know...

I'd take a rebuilt truck from a neighbor I know vs a "clean title certified pre-owned" off a lot.

Yes. Or a "clean, one owner" rental car.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I think on a rebuilt title, the discount is typically 20-40% off book value. The thing is that all warranties from the manufacturer are now void. You might have had a little bit of the 8/80k federal emissions warranty or they could issue extended warranties, but because it's a salvage title, they don't have to honor it.

Chevy honored the ignition *recall* on my rebuilt HHR. OP's getting into the mileage where only recalls matter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back