Which Auto Manufacturer Provides Best Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lucky that I've never had to take any of my cars in for warranty service.

Now the last car I bought has free maintenance so I have been using them for oil changes. So far so good for the Cadillac dealer. Although I would prefer to just do it myself...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have been hearing Tesla is quite good.

You're dealing directly with the manufacturer, they don't sell many and they are expensive. They have a lot going in their favor.

The best service I have ever witnessed was at a local BMW Dealer. I went with a buddy as he was getting his car serviced. They treated us like we owned the place. Offered us all kinds of food and drinks while we waited. Offered a ride if we needed it. And they gave my buddy a replacement of some part that they found bad on his car. If I remember right it was a thermostat. Covered under warranty of course. The whole experience made me want to buy a car from them. I asked my friend if they were always like that and he said every single time.

In reality, the question is not about which OEM provides best service, as none of them do, it is rather which dealership offers the best service. But it really doesn't matter to me. Unless it is a warranty issue, a recall, etc, once I buy a new vehicle, the dealer will never see it again. I have grown very distrustful of dealership shops over the years. My new 2015 Silverado 2500HD will never get the free oil changes and other goodies the dealership offered. Partly out of lack of trust, but also that they are far enough away and they run small town dealer hours that it is cheaper and less hassle for me to do the oil changes myself. Besides, I know it gets done properly and all the grease points get done.

Agreed Tired Trucker. I won't use any of the four free oil change/tire rotations from GMC for the same reasons. We were given two free oil change/tire rotations with the Frontier and never used one either. I do it myself and know it's done right, not to mention, like you said, the huge time savings due to distances to the dealers.

Not a one. It is very dealer-dependent, and service adviser dependent. I've had great service from a dealer, and then a new service adviser almost turned that to ash.

Hyundai/kia. My wifes last Hyundai they replaced the drivers inside door handle because the chrome peeled after 5 years, then they changed the other side to make it look right. On her 2009 kia the passenger headlight was hazed so they replaced both

Originally Posted By: Doog
Lexus hands down...then Toyota. GM dead last....never never never again

On my 4th new GM and never had to go back for GM service except for the current vehicle that has no charge maintenance. I can't complain, they take it in and bring it back with an oil change, tire rotation and washed less than an hour later.

None.

Them manufacturer does not service the car they produce/design them. The dealers who are all indepedent owned/operated provide the service and experience.

When it comes to Customer Service where the person interacts with the company?

Never had a good one, only bad.

My local Ford/Toyota/Honda dealers have never been easy to work with.

Chrysler/Nissan have been fair to middling.

GM is a [censored] shoot based on when you visit.

Never really had a good one.

No auto manufacturer provides the best service.
Dealers provide the service.
The question to be asked is, Which manufacturer backs their vehicles the best?
This question is hard to answer, unless you have been "blessed" with a vehicle which requires interaction with the manufacturer.
Unfortunately, I have been "blessed" by GM, Ford, and Chrysler.
GM and Chrysler did the minimum to satisfy the letter of the warranty. They couldn't have cared less and did nothing to demonstrate that I was valued as a customer. Have never bought another vehicle from them.
Ford was the only manufacturer that demonstrated that they valued me as a customer, and went above and beyond to make the vehicle in question right. They have even gone as far as to repair vehicles free after the warranty had expired (this happened on a 1995 Ranger and a 2000 Taurus.) Even after going through Lemon Law on a Mercury, there never was any question whether or not they were going to buy the vehicle back.
We disagreed on money. I came within $60. of my original request at the end. I have purchased five new Ford products since that event.
Will always go where the customer service is good.
Answer: Ford.

It's all having to do with the dealer.

But...of my local dealers that I've purchased cars from, I would say that Honda has been good with service.

The worst one? Ford for me. Unprofessional and dishonest.

This is really too bad. I think a manufacturer could really standout if they could ensure superb service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
The best service I have ever witnessed was at a local BMW Dealer. I went with a buddy as he was getting his car serviced. They treated us like we owned the place. Offered us all kinds of food and drinks while we waited. Offered a ride if we needed it. And they gave my buddy a replacement of some part that they found bad on his car. If I remember right it was a thermostat. Covered under warranty of course. The whole experience made me want to buy a car from them. I asked my friend if they were always like that and he said every single time.

I agree with every word in this post. Having owned 80+ cars and trucks in my life (so far), BMW service clearly beats all the others. And if you buy new, everything is free for 4 years or 50K miles. Second best are the Dodge/Ram dealers. GM dealers are a distant third. Ford is dead last in my view. I like Ford cars but I will never have another just because of the horrible service I have received in the recent past. Can't say much about Asian car dealers. Don't own any Korean or Japanese cars and never will.

Last edited:
Ford has provided me excellent customer service on three new ford vehicles I have had (and very few issues). GM has given me poor customer service on the two new GM vehicles purchased and they were unable to determine the problems with multiple tries. I no longer even consider GM to be an option when looking at new vehicles (I try to steer others away also).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back