Why I will always change my own oil!!!!

We bought a used 2013 Toyota Venza from a very upscale Cadillac dealership in Houston with only 16,000 miles on it and it was like brand new. Well, it just rolled over 20k so I proceeded to change the oil today. The filter is the cartridge type that has the plastic type housing. Well, the dealership had tightened it so tight that my normal socket wrench could not break it. So then I got out my rubber hammer and started trying to knock the wrench in the open position which did not work and then tried hitting it with a small maul. I the got out my torque wrench which is about 18" long thinking it would break it with the added leverage. Still no luck. I even tried a 1 1/2" three foot long PVC pipe to try to break it and it just started to round out the inside of the filter socket. So, finally out of desperation I got out my impact wrench that I use on lug nuts and finally, with that, I got it to loosen! THAT is why I do all my own work if possible!

Same here. My FIL was doing oil changes up until he was about 80 years old and went blind from macular degeneration. He was from the if you want it done right do it yourself school of thought. I learned a lot from him, and miss his company.

Buddy who doesn't change he's oil had a dealer crack his oil filter housing and didn't know it about it till later part cost 500 and don't know labor it's a bmw 7 2012

My first oil change was free from the dealer so I took it to them for the first oil change. After a few months, I went to go do the second oil change, and couldn't get the drain bolt or filter to budge. Both were significantly tighter than spec. I was trying to get the drain bolt open so hard I was scared I was going to break it.

Since it was obviously the dealer who did it, I called the dealer which is just a couple miles from my house, and had them open it. They loosened the bolt and then tightened it to spec, and then did the same to the oil filter. I then went straight back home and changed the oil myself.

I have two vehicles with the same basic 2.2 GM ecotec and one of them requires an impact wrench to remove the cap and the other I can sometimes do by hand.

I wonder if I get a new cap? They are made of some kind of black plastic. This wasn't the fault of the installer, there is something about the plastic cap for the cartridge oil filter

Originally Posted By: datech
I have two vehicles with the same basic 2.2 GM ecotec and one of them requires an impact wrench to remove the cap and the other I can sometimes do by hand.

I wonder if I get a new cap? They are made of some kind of black plastic. This wasn't the fault of the installer, there is something about the plastic cap for the cartridge oil filter

I never have a problem using the ecotech caps, they come off easy I use a standard ratchet with the correct size oil filter housing socket. I believe it's a low profile 32mm.

low profile 32mm is great about 8-10$ for a good one.

make sure you get a 3/8" drive if you work on the equinox often
(most low profile ones are)

replace the o-ring put some motor oil on it and tighten it..
comes off easy.

I always thought I couldn't be bothered to change my own oil, not worth my time. A couple years ago I went to a quickie lube for an oile change on my daughters 2011 Kia Soul after which she drove back to college about 200 miles away. She came back the following weekend and I noticed some oil dripping onto the driveway. Popped the hood…………to discover the "techs" never put the filler cap back on, it was still sitting on top the engine next to the open hole!!!!! Plus they tightened the drain plug beyond belief. Since then……….I do it all myself.

Most of the 4-cyl Toyota housings get very very tight if they're just the slightest bit overtightened.

Originally Posted By: keithl
We bought a used 2013 Toyota Venza from a very upscale Cadillac dealership in Houston with only 16,000 miles on it and it was like brand new. Well, it just rolled over 20k so I proceeded to change the oil today. The filter is the cartridge type that has the plastic type housing. Well, the dealership had tightened it so tight that my normal socket wrench could not break it. So then I got out my rubber hammer and started trying to knock the wrench in the open position which did not work and then tried hitting it with a small maul. I the got out my torque wrench which is about 18" long thinking it would break it with the added leverage. Still no luck. I even tried a 1 1/2" three foot long PVC pipe to try to break it and it just started to round out the inside of the filter socket. So, finally out of desperation I got out my impact wrench that I use on lug nuts and finally, with that, I got it to loosen! THAT is why I do all my own work if possible!

You should never use a torque wrench to try and loosen a nut, bolt, etc., especially one that's stuck. It could ruin the wrench.

I had the same experience minus the fill cap on my dart at a very well established dealership in Indiana once. Almost couldn't break the drain plug lose. From then on out I do it myself

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
low profile 32mm is great about 8-10$ for a good one.

make sure you get a 3/8" drive if you work on the equinox often
(most low profile ones are)

replace the o-ring put some motor oil on it and tighten it..
comes off easy.

I have the 32mm socket, but on one of my vehicles the cap is hard to remove, even if I hand tighten it. An impact wrench loosens it quickly, but you can try all kinds of breaker bars, etc and it won't budge. My other car has the same engine, different year, no problem. I will probably try a new cap one of these days.

My Saturn ION and my dad's Pontiac G6, and I never had to work hard to unscrew the filter cap.

As for Toyota cartridge filters, most of them have been a nightmare for me. I had to use the biggest set of Channelock pliers to remove them. I bought an Assenmacher specialty tool because of this problem.

I don't know why Toyota filter caps are more difficult to remove.

It really stinks and it pretty sad honestly that you can't trust any kind of service anymore. Quality is just not something America seems to be into anymore. That and the fact that our country seems to be getting dumber all the time (that's another topic though, lol). I had to literally lay on a drain plug on my wife's Hyundai to get it off. Looked like I was break dancing out there. A different place didn't tighten the drain plug enough one time and it started leaking everywhere.Also, my truck calls for 5.5 qts and the place put 4.4 qts in it. This was all before I knew better. 100 % shade tree mechanic service now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I'm 77 years old and do my oil/filter changes but, my bad shoulders (left one replaced already) and the other one is due makes it difficult. I will do it as long as I can and then find an independent or young fella in the neighborhood who wants to learn while getting paid. Ed

Way to go, Eddie! Give some young person a chance to learn something under a guiding hand. Now that is America!

I have grown so distrustful of dealership shops, from autos right on up to heavy commercial trucks. I change my own oil for many of the reasons mentioned. I want to know it is done right, all the grease points have been done properly, etc. Call it a bonding time with my vehicle or whatever you want. I like knowing how things are under there and changing the oil and greasing gives me opportunity to thoroughly check out the underside of my pickup.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I always thought I couldn't be bothered to change my own oil, not worth my time. A couple years ago I went to a quickie lube for an oile change on my daughters 2011 Kia Soul after which she drove back to college about 200 miles away. She came back the following weekend and I noticed some oil dripping onto the driveway. Popped the hood…………to discover the "techs" never put the filler cap back on, it was still sitting on top the engine next to the open hole!!!!! Plus they tightened the drain plug beyond belief. Since then……….I do it all myself.

you can still use quick lubes, but be sure to check over their work! even date the oil filter can and check the dipstick if it has oil in it before you leave their parking lot. some people blow engines on their way home, when there is no drain plug, forgot to put oil, or the oil filter was never put on. you got lucky it was only a dipstick! the engine could have seized 200 miles away and stranded your daughter in the middle of nowhere.

I even do this for tire rotations, tire rotations are free, so they techs will try to skim this service. how can I tell? I have one wheel marked, so I know if they are not rotated.

Last edited:
Back