Surprised! shocked even with Lucas.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has been running a bit rough (been busy, have not let the tank empty in a while), so I figure some fuel cleaner is in order. Was going to pick up some of bitog's fave, but they were out at my local AAP. Happened to pass by a display of Lucas fuel cleaner (with lube it says). One o the guys who seems to be pretty good to deal with says it works pretty well! Told him I was not a big Lucas guy, but he said he was not a fan either, but liked how well it worked. So I figured-what the heck, I'll try it once.

Poured it in a almost empty tank, then filled up at the local sunoco. I expected pretty much nothing, but after a few miles the Balt was a happy car. Put about 25 miles on this tank so far, and the car seems happy a peppy now...
cool.gif

So, am I lucky it didn't blow up my car? Or is this actually decent stuff? Not sure if I will try it again yet, as I want to get through this tank first.....

Nope this is actually good stuff! It's probably the only Lucas product I'd use frequently as I also got good results from it. I have recently switched to TCW3 because I found I got similar results for a lower price, but the Lucas stuff cleans much better

I like the Lucas Injector Cleaner. I have no clue how effective it is, but it makes my engine run super smooth. I've noticed slight differences with other fuel system additives, but the Lucas Injector Cleaner is by far the smoothest. I've had my vehicle running so smooth that I've had friends surprised that it was even running, and I've had friends who thought I stalled out when I came to a stop b/c of how smooth it was. However, the Lucas Inject Cleaner made my engine run so smooth, it's the only time *I* was fooled into thinking my engine had stalled.

I had a similar thing as you happen to me yesterday. I put in a bottle of Gummout fuel system cleaner w/Regane, and because it was a little cheaper I got the high mileage one. I normally get the regular one, but used the high mileage one this time (I've got a about 68k miles on my car). I've driven about 50 miles with it so far, and I seem to be getting better MPG than I was previously getting, and the car seem a bit happier. I've never noticed a difference when using the regular Gumout Fuel System Cleaner before.

Very small sample size obviously, and it could've been a host of other things including a placebo affect. But as long as the car seems happy, I'm happy with it in there.

BTW, if you're using the Lucas Deep Fuel System Cleaner, that also contains PEA. PEA is the same as Gumout's Regane and Chevron's Techron. It's made by Chevron and sold/licensed to other companies to use, and it's good stuff for cleaning out engine internals.

It worked for you, that's all that matters! I park my Dodge in a heated garage approximately 12 hours a day, so I've been using a can of Heet dry gas every other tank to avoid water/condensation issue's.

There was lots of negative talk about this stuff years ago, but Ive had some, I still do, and use it on occasion. It is one of the few adds that I think does make a difference in feel when driving...

It has PEA in it.

In terms of feel when driving, there are two things:

1) If you have deposits, then PEA removes them and driving feel improves during the tank.

2) Some fuel system cleaners contain a UCL. I have noticed a difference when running Gumout All In One (has an UCL) vs regular Gumout Regane or Techron (both without an UCL).

Originally Posted By: HM12460
It worked for you, that's all that matters! I park my Dodge in a heated garage approximately 12 hours a day, so I've been using a can of Heet dry gas every other tank to avoid water/condensation issue's.

if your gas has any ethanol in it the heet ain't needed.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There was lots of negative talk about this stuff years ago, but Ive had some, I still do, and use it on occasion. It is one of the few adds that I think does make a difference in feel when driving...

Yeah, normally about the oil "fixers" and such. Looked at their gas stuff pretty much the same way, though many of these cleaners are alike...

Have to say, I'm impressed...so far...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yes there was lots of negative talk about it. I tried it years ago and saved the two empty bottles. They come in handy around the shop. The thread has peaked my interest though.

Was one of my staples that I dropped for no particularly good reason...thinking of moving back to it.

IIRC, Bob (the Bob) did some test tube fuel additive tests, and Lucas was about the only one that didn't have it's own deposits.

It was before Techron and PEA, but this stuff HAS been around.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
It has PEA in it.

In terms of feel when driving, there are two things:

1) If you have deposits, then PEA removes them and driving feel improves during the tank.

2) Some fuel system cleaners contain a UCL. I have noticed a difference when running Gumout All In One (has an UCL) vs regular Gumout Regane or Techron (both without an UCL).

I don't think so, please provide source.

What I've seen in the discussions is PIB. MSDS does not indicate.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Was one of my staples that I dropped for no particularly good reason...thinking of moving back to it.

IIRC, Bob (the Bob) did some test tube fuel additive tests, and Lucas was about the only one that didn't have it's own deposits.

It was before Techron and PEA, but this stuff HAS been around.

Yeah, noticed it has been around a while, and let all the negative talk ever let me try it. So far, this stuff has worked better than anything I've tried in a long time.

Might be a an of this stuff....

Though it kinda makes me wonder exactly what parts it lubes it there...

Now I'm confused, lol. Just to be clear is this the Lucas 10003 UCL and FI cleaner we're talking about?

Interesting that they also feel it worthwhile to say this:

Quote:
contains no diesel fuel, kerosene or anything else that can be harmful or useless to an engine

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Car has been running a bit rough (been busy, have not let the tank empty in a while), so I figure some fuel cleaner is in order. Was going to pick up some of bitog's fave, but they were out at my local AAP. Happened to pass by a display of Lucas fuel cleaner (with lube it says). One o the guys who seems to be pretty good to deal with says it works pretty well! Told him I was not a big Lucas guy, but he said he was not a fan either, but liked how well it worked. So I figured-what the heck, I'll try it once.

Poured it in a almost empty tank, then filled up at the local sunoco. I expected pretty much nothing, but after a few miles the Balt was a happy car. Put about 25 miles on this tank so far, and the car seems happy a peppy now...
cool.gif

So, am I lucky it didn't blow up my car? Or is this actually decent stuff? Not sure if I will try it again yet, as I want to get through this tank first.....

Are you talking Lucas Deep Clean or this,
http://lucasoil.com/images/documents/TDS_Fuel-Treatment.pdf

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The Balt is is having streaks of running rough...other times it's back to it's good ol' self.

Hoping that it's just getting stuff clean in there....debating about a second round a little later....

Lucas fuel additive is decent stuff. It contains polyisobutylene which is known to help fuel burn more completely thus netting a fuel economy increase.
Then of course there's the upper cylinder lubrication which I like the idea.
I use 1 litre of tc-w3 mixed with acetone/toluene/xylene in every 100 litres of fuel which nets my 2001 sierra C3 24mpg on the highway consistently. That a 6.0 engine with 325hp/375tq and its awd. Everyone here who posts fuel consumption with a 6.0 can't break 20mpg consistently yet I do daily.
My charger with the same ratio has gotten 30mpg unless I'm driving into a headwind however it's consistently closer to 28mpg and that's with a hemi.
As with anything like this you've gotta use the additives consistently so the ecu fuel maps don't require adjusting. That and the injectors/fuel pump and so on seem to operate better.
My compressors and generators also get this fuel system brew and have for many years. I also use mos2 in the oil every second change and I firmly believe this practice has been the main contributor to the incredible engine life I'm getting as well as longer run times per tank vs other crews using the same equipment.
And my carbs have never once needed adjustment,cleaning nor any service whatsoever.
I've got one compressor with in excess of 15000 hours on a Honda gx160 in 10 years and it still starts first pull. It was one of 2 I bought when my brother and I started our company together. The second one of those 2 is creeping up past 12000 hours,again with the same maintenance practices.
My service guy tells me my machines must be anomalous because no other crew he services gets this kind of life out of their pumps.
I have 17 Honda powered air compressors presently. The newest is about a year old. The oldest ones I've got start just as easy as the new one.run just as well and have never cost me a penny more then just regular maintenance.
Wow. I went all over the place with that one.
Novel finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back