Start Your Lawnmowers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder to run your lawnmowers before you actually need it. It's pretty warm here today so I went out and started mine. I used some gas that I had for the snowblower that was some-what fresh. Message here is "Don't wait until you need it..to run it"

Also get those motorcycles going before you want to ride them. My battery is getting old as it is original built in 2005. Not sure if it will start tomorrow after morning church services.

my ope's see's treated (no alc)REC90 fuel- mmo, seafoam; the gen's get yeraround.
The gen gets 30minutes every month, so do the ope stuff in storage. top off with fresh fuel each time, never a fail start, knock on wood.

the 1988 lawn chief 20" started and ran at -23*F outside, was in enclosed machine storage. heat gun for a cigarette and cup of coffee, two pulls and ran, it burning 30% kerosene for starting juice, 60+% after 5min warmup.

-Harvey

No need to ever test a thing here.

My OPE has always been Honda and I put some MMO in the gas can every time I fill it up with no stabilizer and never had a carb issue.

Motorcycle is plugged into battery tender jr. year round. Even in the summer. Battery going on 7 years old right now.

Last edited:
Just as with winter stored cars, I never start a mower until I'm ready to put it to work.
I figure that if it ran fine in the fall, then it'll run fine in the spring.
It's sometimes a little difficult to get the things to start in the spring, but a small shot of ether never fails to get them running and after that, I have no further issues.

I have a 16 year old Snapper with a Kawasaki FC150V engine. I mow year-round; the last three mows I've had to use starting fluid to start it but it runs fine.
Did some Googling, went out yesterday to work on it, found there's too much friction in some bits, not allowing the choke to come on. A little Starrett M1 and a little working of the mechanism and it started up on the 2nd pull.

Heh heh I have a shortlist of stuff to do on my sit down. I want to give the sealed hydro a drain and fill. I also bought a set of blades for the deck. As I was putting it away the repaired throat of the carb let go. I patched it with duct tape to drive it into storage.; Generally, I run the carb dry with the shutoff after every use. I also add a capfull of MMO to every tank of E 10 gas. As the battery is 4 yrs old , Ill charge it before I even try to start the Inty.

Fired mine up today to warm up the oil in order to change it with the spark plug and air filter. Had to take a lighter to the old spark plug to get it to start. Was going to chop the tops off some of the weeds in the yard with it today but way to wet out there. Glad I got it ready to go though.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
"Don't wait until you need it..to run it"

I've never had a single issue starting it in the past, and I don't see any reason to start it "just because". My 757 was serviced before I put it away in November, so when it's time to mow I'll simply start it up and pick up where I left off.

Ran my John Deere self propelled mower twice this winter in Texas.

It became harder to start after I ran some "mechanic in a bottle" fuel system cleaner through it.

Now it has a fresh tank of 87 fuel, it seems to run better.

I change the motor oil once a year with leftover bottles of what I have in the shop.

This years blend will be 15w40 Delo and 5w30 mobil super 50/50 mix. The mower takes 20 ounces.

I guess this doesn't apply to everyone but being from MI....my lawnmower is not being used for 6 months. And since gas goes bad after 1 month... it's a good idea to run the engine to keep the carb from plugging up.

I will start my Honda powered push mower when the grass gets long enough to cut, whenever that may be. No need to start it before then. It always starts right up after sitting all winter.

I can't even get mine out of the shed yet. With 30" of snow on the ground still and the sliding door track frozen, it'll be a few more weeks yet.
frown.gif

After 35 years I've noticed that my mower is taking more to get going. It's an engineless Craftsman reel mower and I'm it's power. I guess my power plant is not as good at 60 than when I was 25, and I don't think this power plant can be rebuilt
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
After 35 years I've noticed that my mower is taking more to get going. It's an engineless Craftsman reel mower and I'm it's power. I guess my power plant is not as good at 60 than when I was 25, and I don't think this power plant can be rebuilt
smirk.gif

Whimsey

That's one of those "lifetime" engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back