What is your meatloaf recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love meatloaf ( the food). Girlfriend has her grandmothers recipe that uses cornmeal mixed in. What are you folks meatloaf recipes and could I make meatloaf out of some ground chicken and or turkey I have? Thank you for any help and advice in advance

for some reason i have never liked any homemade meatloaf, but i do like the kind that comes in tv dinners

Hello, I have a suggestion:
To 1 to 1.5 lbs. plain ground beef (don't bother with the veal and pork) I add:
1 egg
4-5 cloves garlic
1/4 onion
1/2 smallish jalapeño pepper
pepper 'n salt
Liquify 'em in a handy chopper. It'll serve as moisture when you're making the loaf.

Then add:
Chopped parsley
1 and 3/4 onion chopped
1 whole chopped bell pepper
5-6 oz. spinach
6-7 oz. cubed feta cheese
bread crumbs

Get the thing to hold together. Varying the amounts is no big deal.
Mix it in a bowl and make a round loaf out of it (boulle)
Put it in a sided pie plate (to catch the water and fat which will exude)
Cut 2 deep hemispherical lines into it creating 4 quarters. I use a cheap serrated knife to do this.

Into a preheated 385 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes to get a crust
Reduce heat to 350
Bake 'til 165 degrees via a probe thermometer.

EVERYONE loves this dish. The jalepeno pepper adds just a wee kick. The parsley will make your house smell like heaven (though I've never been there) and the feta will have 'em coming back for more. Kira

Sounds good, Kira.

I've rarely eaten meatloaf, but the recipe I recall being from the Lipton soup box.

Originally Posted By: car51
I love meatloaf ( the food). Girlfriend has her grandmothers recipe that uses cornmeal mixed in. What are you folks meatloaf recipes and could I make meatloaf out of some ground chicken and or turkey I have? Thank you for any help and advice in advance

I loathe ground turkey, so I don't use it in patties or meatloaf. Chicken is okay if mixed in with other meats like beek, pork and lamb. Ground chicken, expecially all by itself, becomes easily dry and it has little taste to begin with. There's a trick to make dry meat more moist. Add some crushed ice to your meatloaf mix.

Meatloaf ingredients: I'm not listing quantities, because I always wing it.

One or several kinds of ground meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken)
finely chopped smoked bacon for flavor

Vegetables, more or less finely chopped
carots
celery root
previously sauteed garlic
previously sauteed onion
red bell peppers
green onion
chopped tomato (without skins)
parseley and/or cilantro (depending on the likes and dislikes of who you are feeding)

Finely chopped fresh herbs:
thyme
marjoram
sage
turmeric root

Spices:
black pepper
sea salt
plenty sweet paprika

Miscellaneous ingredients:
eggs
little milk
chopped, stale white bread
grated cheese is optional

Brush meatloaf with melted butter or sour cream before sticking in oven. Baste repeatedly with its own juices. Depending on your oven, turn meatloaf over when the top looks good to get a crust on the bottom too.

hotwheels

Thank you folks especially your twist on it Kira ;-). May try that. Thank you so much guys and ladies

I'll make it with ground beef or ground turkey, whatever I happen to have on hand.

Beef gets minced garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder or finely diced onion, egg, breadcrumbs, and some Worcestershire sauce. Usually spread half the meat out, put some shredded cheese down, then place the rest of the meat on top and seal the seams. Yummy.

Turkey gets garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, egg, breadcrumbs.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Ground chicken, expecially all by itself, becomes easily dry and it has little taste to begin with. There's a trick to make dry meat more moist. Add some crushed ice to your meatloaf mix.

For moisture and taste, we add some chicken stock to chicken mince, but that's when we make inauthentic philly cheese steaks at home.

Wonder how some stock would work for meatloaf.

We don't eat a lot of red meat but, my wife used to make a meatloaf(mixed to your liking) and put the loaf on a cookie sheet.

Flatten out the meat like a pizza dough and STUFF it with veggies...mushrooms, broccoli, your favorite cheese etc. and roll it into a loaf again. Kind of like making a stuffed bread.

Put it in the oven and bake it! Sure, you can add cream of whatever you like or a sauce of your choice over the top. M'mmmmmm!

Shoot, now I find myself on the way to the Safeway to get some fresh ground meet. Family wants it tonight...
wink.gif

Ps, I think I make about 1.5x the amount of sauce that calls for, seems to be just right that way.

Last edited:
just shy of 2# ground chuck
handful of italian bread crumbs
1 egg
half onion diced fine as humanly possible
kosher salt
black pepper
minced garlic in olive oil, teaspoon or more
pinch or red pepper flakes
mix well
form into desired shape on pan that will catch grease
half way through cooking, drain grease and top with honey chipotle BBQ sauce-sweet baby ray's
finish baking, rest it
slice it up and pan fry each side until desired level of crust forms.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I absolutely love meatloaf just too busy to make it from scratch.
you can "loaf it up" in minutes. The baking is the slow part. I hope you are not resorting to a diet of fastfood instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back