Considing a 2015 VW Golf TSI....big mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2015 Volkswagon Golf 1.8T TSI S 4 door hatchback.
I typically keep my cars for 10-12 years and was wondering if the maintenance over that period
will be substantially more that a Honda Civic, with a naturally aspirated engine?

Are VW turbos still considering very risky and problematic? Or are the new 2015 models now
more reliable? I read all the horror stories about past poor reliability issues with VW, but
I an beginning to wonder if some of it is a bit over-exaggerated?

My local VW deals tells me oil changes are $89.00! Why?? If I do purchase, can I do all
my service at a local independent shop that specializes in VW's? I would think the independent shop would be more reasonable than the a VW dealer?

Thanks

Last edited:
VW reliability has improved significantly. They're not as unreliable as they were in the late 1990s to mid 2000s.

I haven't done too much research on the 1.8t. But it's not a high-strung, premium-fuel-requiring engine like the old 1.8t.

I don't think the 1.8t uses timing belt, but double check to see if I'm right.

Frankly, the new Golf looks awesome and it'd be at the top of my list if I was buying new. It hasn't been decontented like the U.S. Jetta and Passat, so it will have an interior that's very nice and driving dynamics that are better than many competitors. It's not super cheap, though.

But, there still might be some VW issues. Even newer VWs still have some dumb problems like door latch failures.

No, extended warranties are NOT a must and almost ALWAYS a complete
waste of money!

Last edited:
Quote:

I typically keep my cars for 10-12 years

I would pick the path of least aggravation; I never got a sense from this site or the 4 people I known who have owned 200x ones, VW would be a wise choice; as you said perhaps they are better.

VW wants to be bigger than GM and Toyota in America.Thats their game plan.However,sales dipped last year where even Mitsubishi rose.I think if it wasn't for Audi's sales success as of late,VW would be sinking faster here.VW will never be again what it was in 1969/70,putting fear into America's big 4 as the favorite small car seller.Too many other choices now,what with all the Japanese,Korean,Italian and soon to be Chinese competition.VW forgot where they came from,the "People's Car",and wanted to be something entirely higher classed.That conflict is what is leaving a lot of people not even considering VW as a legit choice as a new car option.

A big mistake is buying something that you'd consider boring/lame to drive for 10 years. That VW is a drivers car. A Toyota Corolla is not. VW requires you use the specified fluid at the correct intervals along with documentation to maintain the warranty. BTW, that engine holds 6.75 quarts of oil so it will cost a tad more for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A big mistake is buying something that you'd consider boring/lame to drive for 10 years.

I agree! Perhaps consider the GTI model?

Originally Posted By: flinter
No concern over the Golf now being built in Mexico?

?
Haven't they been doing that for 20 years?

Edit: I was mistaken

Last edited:
No, extended warranties are NOT a must and almost ALWAYS a complete
waste of money!

Agree in almost all cases for new vehicles.

Maintenance will be more then a Civic over that period.

I am very tempted by the forthcoming SportWagon based on same Golf but share same reservations as you.

Vw has lost a lot of customers due to reliability problems period. Are they nice cars, yes they are, If they were as reliable as a Honda you would see a lot more on the road.

That VW is a drivers car.

Not like they used to be. Maybe a GTI but regular Golf/Jetta more mainstream.

The Golf's Maintenance (turbo) will undoubtedly be more than the Civic and although the Golf is more fun to drive, the Civic is no slouch. I would pick the Golf TSi 1.8T, but would also understand the ramifications.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
That VW is a drivers car.

Not like they used to be. Maybe a GTI but regular Golf/Jetta more mainstream.

The Golf is still a driver's car, according to what I've read.

I own a MK5 Jetta, which is very similar to the MK5 and MK6 Golfs and it's a driver's car, which is why I bought it.

The current Jetta is a different animal, though. Although they've made improvements since the decontented MK6 was released, it's still not as nice as the Golf or MK5 Jetta.

No concern over the Golf now being built in Mexico?

No, not really.

-The MK7 Golf has been out for multiple years in the rest of the world.
-They've been building MK7 Golfs in Mexico for more than a year now.
-They've been building VWs in Mexico for a long time.

The claims about German VWs being better than Mexican VWs don't really hold water.

Some of the most unreliable VWs are the ones built in Europe, the CC and Toureg, for example. You should really be worried about buying a German-made VW.
grin.gif
Just kidding, of course.

Ok,can you realistically and safely really go to 10,000 miles between oil changes with the new Golf, or is 6000-7500 safer? Is VW's 10,000 OCI recommendation for mostly highway driving?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back