National Pi Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were you doing...? Not that I have ever needed to use more than 3.1416, but this makes it easier to remember the first 10 digits. Pretty cool trick with the dominos too!

But only true in the US, where we have the uncommon convention of month/day/year.

The rest of the world uses day/month/year...so,this day could never happen under their date convention...

They make a video about Pi for Pi Day, and they make the video 3 min 13 sec? They couldn't add a second of filler to get it up to 3:14?

Edited to add:
Okay, before hand the video was 3:13, now it's 3:14. Don't know why it was showing up 3:13 before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
But only true in the US, where we have the uncommon convention of month/day/year. The rest of the world uses day/month/year...so,this day could never happen under their date convention...

I thought most of the rest of the world used the ISO 8601 date standard which is YYYY-MM-DD, but your post made me curious and so a cursory search found this: -- Date Format By Country

DD-MM-YYYY covers at least half of the globe (number of people using it) with YYYY-MM-DD coming second (all of China). It would be nice to have a single standard so that (at least in the US) you do not have to guess which it is (unless the DD is more than 12). DD-MM-YYYY should be DD-MMM-YYYY and it would eliminate the guess work for small day and month digits - e.g. is 02-03-2015 February 2, 2015 or March 2, 2015? Adding the third "M" and thereby using 02 March 2015 leaves no room for guesswork.

The global headquarters for our company is in Europe and we struggled with this scenario in the US operations for years until at the turn of the century we adopted the ISO 8601 format internally making it easier for "rebels" like the US to be able to clearly know what the numbers of the date represent. Of course, if all of your daily work remains in the US, all of this is irrelevant.

Then I stand corrected.

My daily work often puts me in other countries, and I was drawing on personal observation, not a researched analysis.

I like the idea of Pi day, and at 9:26 this morning, I smiled...

Then I stand corrected.

My daily work often puts me in other countries, and I was drawing on personal observation, not a researched analysis. I like the idea of Pi day, and at 9:26 this morning, I smiled...

No--you were right (the majority uses the format you noted)!
cheers3.gif

"It is probably me" but I'm a math and science guy and I just don't get it. Seems like a lot of manufactured events for the sake of manufactured events.

Didn't do anything this year, but last year I baked a square pumpkin pie. Why that combo you ask?
1)pumpkin pie is awesome.
2) duh, "pie are squared"
Posted a thread about it with pics last year, don't have time to find and link to it right now.

A question was asked of young people today, what is Pi. No answer.
Next question, who was Brad Pitt's first wife, everyone got that one correct, Jennifer Aniston.

The response to Pi, who cares. With a iPhone who needs Pi, besides, Brad Pitt is more relevant. What he does is interesting.

What happened to the 15 in there?

Do you mean 1:59:26 on our 12 hr clock?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Date: 3.14.15. Time 9:26

3.1415926...as I reckoned...but the convention on how to write the date and time matters....

I suppose I could have marked the seconds for two more digits...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
But only true in the US, where we have the uncommon convention of month/day/year. The rest of the world uses day/month/year...so,this day could never happen under their date convention...

I thought most of the rest of the world used the ISO 8601 date standard which is YYYY-MM-DD, but your post made me curious and so a cursory search found this: -- Date Format By Country

DD-MM-YYYY covers at least half of the globe (number of people using it) with YYYY-MM-DD coming second (all of China). It would be nice to have a single standard so that (at least in the US) you do not have to guess which it is (unless the DD is more than 12). DD-MM-YYYY should be DD-MMM-YYYY and it would eliminate the guess work for small day and month digits - e.g. is 02-03-2015 February 2, 2015 or March 2, 2015? Adding the third "M" and thereby using 02 March 2015 leaves no room for guesswork.

The global headquarters for our company is in Europe and we struggled with this scenario in the US operations for years until at the turn of the century we adopted the ISO 8601 format internally making it easier for "rebels" like the US to be able to clearly know what the numbers of the date represent. Of course, if all of your daily work remains in the US, all of this is irrelevant.

Few years ago i started using yyyy-mm-dd for signing most documents. I revert to mm-dd-yy onlydue to space limitations on some things.

It'd be nice if the world could agree on a standard way for writing dates. It'd also be great if the English speaking nations could agree on spelling, such as tyre (tire), litre (liter), gaol (jail). I'd have to say, most of the time the American spelling makes more sense.

Yeah, the way we do dates here doesn't work with it.

dd/mm/yyyy is our regular convention.

When I'm filing things in computer systems, I use YYYY/mm/dd, as everything ends up in order...the the secretarial staff get in and change it to dd/mm/yyyy "because it makes more sense that way".

Daughter loves pi, and went to last year's school maths day as a "messy eater" with Pi all over her clothes, and an arithmetical logo

Cream/Pi * Pi/Floor = Cream/Floor.

256/81 is the Egyptian Pi.

Daughter was stoked when we were at Disneyland, and one of the workers there came up and told her that she "had Pi all over her clothes".

Originally Posted By: hpb
I'd have to say, most of the time the American spelling makes more sense.

I would agree with that, less letters .. colour, programme, etc.
But also the pronunciations as down under we sometimes move the accent to other syllables, probably to match the light switches (up is off) and the direction water spins down the drain.

Perhaps the US can changes it date convention when it goes metric, as if that will ever happen...

The date really should go from largest to smallest: Year, month, day, just like time also goes from largest to smallest: hour, minutes seconds. But what prepostion would we use before the year? Probably we'd write and say, "This post was written in 2015/03/14 at 19:46:30."

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Date: 3.14.15. Time 9:26

3.1415926...as I reckoned...but the convention on how to write the date and time matters....

I suppose I could have marked the seconds for two more digits...

Stupid me.

I usually forget how old I am, but Im not usually one to forget the year
smile.gif

Of course it is 2015
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back