Container truck backed over our Navigator's hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
A container truck with incompetent driver backed over our Navigator's hood, scraping it half to death. Left a big black sticky scrape mark 2 feet long, and a foot wide. I went to work with the hose and 1200 grit sandpaper. After wets and ingredients it, I followed up with 3M Heavy Duty rubbing compound on the high speed Makita with a compounding pad. I think I managed to avoid digging through the clear coat.

After buffing it all with a microfiber towel, I ended up with the results below.

I later followed up with the only finishing products I had available; Attwood marine finish polish and wax.

Wish I would have had more and better stuff to work with, but can't argue with the results.

Before pics? Why didnt you file a police report?

It must not have been really severe scratches if it could be wetsanded. Fortunately...

Looks good!

I didn't take any before pics because I was 100% certain the hood was completely destroyed and my attempt was going to result in an epic failure. I only thought of picture time after it all worked out.

No need to file a police report. We know the trucking company well, and a free load of cars was negotiated as compensation.

The saving grace is that it's not a metal hood, so it was able to deform away from the crushing force. It was really bad, though. Looked like a steel tired vehicle did a burnout with one wheel on the hood.

Oh, and you can thank spell check on android for writing this: "After wets and ingredients it," instead of "after wet sanding it".

Not a metal hood. Sounds like Ferd for ya.
grin.gif

Looks great.

Last edited:
Saturns used metal on horizontal panels and plastic for all the sides. The plastic seemed to hold paint better, or maybe it just didnt get as much of the sun's rays as the hood, roof and trunk.

1200 grit on OEM clear? You're braver than I am. I try not to go lower than 2500 on OEM clear, and that's after paint depth readings.

I would follow up your compounding process with two additional steps of finishing. The compounding process you describe will definitely leave some amount of buffer trails.

[ quote=DoubleWasp]A container truck with incompetent driver backed over our Navigator's hood, scraping it half to death.
[/quote]

Arrrghhhh!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back