Air puffing out of fill hole, what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the volume of air coming out of the oil fill hole have any significance? What exactly does it mean? I opened the cap on the Buick in my sig (24 years old) and no air was coming out while running, NONE. Where as my Accord has a considerable amount of air forcefully puffing out, no oil is added between changes in the Accord, have not owned the Buick long enough to know whether or not oil will need to be added in between changed. Does this have to do with the rings? Stem seals? Both have the PCV valve replaced.

The air coming out of the oil filler cap hole is likely from excessive build-up of pressure (i.e. blow-by from stuck piston rings in your 25 year old Buick) in the crankcase, whose ventilation system might be plugged up.

I'd change your PCV valve and ventilation hoses ASAP for starters. Your valve stem seals are likely hardened and letting oil by for burning in the combustion chamber.

I don't know if your Accord has some kind of filter between the valve cover and its breather hose. If so, the filter may be clogged with goey oil and prevent proper venting. The type filter is usually inside the valve cover and looks similar to a grease trap filter. It can be cleaned and washed out with solvents.

hotwheels

I had deep concern about this with my 2001 Ford Ranger. I put a small plastic bag over the fill hole and it didn't even fill up. Conclusion (in my case, yours may be different): Air was not blowing out, but the action of the valve train was creating a lot of turbulence. The valve train was exposed just a little ways under the fill hole with no shield. On another vehicle with a filler neck and a shield, I did not feel the turbulence.

It's because there is cams in the head and will blow air out of fill hole on some cars depending on fill hole location ect. The Buick has a cam in the block therefore does not whip oil in the head like the Honda design does

My Camry is the same way, clean pcv valve and no oil usage, I think it's just turbulence .

Originally Posted By: ram_man
It's because there is cams in the head and will blow air out of fill hole on some cars depending on fill hole location ect. The Buick has a cam in the block therefore does not whip oil in the head like the Honda design does

Exactly (and well said), and if you were used to cam in block cars, as I was, then this can be disturbing, but is no problem.

It means the engine is running. There are differences in engine designs but with some blow by and the pistons going up and down there is lots of pumping going on.

Originally Posted By: LotI
It's going to blow! Sell it now.

Just kidding. Nothing to see here, it's just GregK24 posting.

It's just a question, if you don't want to positively contribute then don't. No need to demean others.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

It's just a question, if you don't want to positively contribute then don't. No need to demean others.

Which question? You asked four.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

The thing that confuses me is half of your posts are about how great Hondas are, and the other half are you paranoid that something is wrong with your Honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back