Cruze vs. Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a good friend of mine who is looking to get one of these two Compacts. The reason for just these two is that he will get quite a good deal with either one. He asked me, so I'd figured I'd ask you guys..

Cruze LT (1.4t) vs. Dart Sxt (2.4)

Gut says Cruze here. While not a huge fan of turbos, seems GM has fixed most of the little issues with it. They drive/handle well for a small car, and do pretty well MPG wise....

Dart is a toss up. I like the way they handle. This is the car he is leaning toward. But some research came back with lots and lots of issues..kinda had me thinking Neon 2.0..which is too bad, since they look kinda cool....

Between the TWO (I know most of you would pick something else
whistle.gif
), which would be the better choice...

I'd just go for the best deal or the one I liked best.

Both are likely to be merely OK in the repair department. Dart has gotten over their initial quality problems but I doubt its really great.

Both are average at best, though I think the Dart looks a lot better, the Cruze looks like the Daewoo it really is.

what is a Dart? I had heard it was an Alfetta dumbed down to play a Dart. If so you wonder what Alfa parts might readily port over. Anyone drive a real Alfa of similar size and design? What would Koni's, springs, better tires, etc. do? The first Darts, per the media, came with manual trannys mostly, aimed at housefraus, and started with very bad sales.

I would a figured the crude but after checking a leading consumer mag..... Very similar. Cruse is quieter. Dart has better brakes. Reliability and owner satisfaction similar. Not good but similar.

I'd say the Dart for handling, and comfort. Reliability actually is supposed to be decent for the regular non turbo 2.4L and base 2.0L engine

Because they are not selling that well dealers are willing to give pretty substantial discounts on them. Could be that you could take the some of the difference and put it towards a Chrysler factory extended warranty.

Personally I think the Dart is by far the better drivers car and the best value for the money is the SE, with the manual 6 speed.

Last edited:
That's a tough one, both should be great...I guess it come down to personal preference. A Dart with the 2.4 and 8.4" U Connect might be a tough one to turn down.

Personally, I'd probably go for a Verano or Dart.

I like the looks of the Dart, but I ended up buying a Cruze so I'm going to vote Cruze of course. I'm very happy with it. I have the NA 1.8L. I've driven the 1.4L turbo as well, and the difference is subtle.

despite the auto review magazines rating the dart far worse than the cruz, I'd go for one merely because it's been noted a being very comfy and quiet...two qualities you almost never find in this category unless you go with a german built Golf or Volvo s40 etc

add to that the great discounts you can get on a Dart give their lack of sales on them, would make them a great purchase!

I know what I'm getting once my 07 Focus dies and I've grown tired of the noisey, and rattley interior plastics and lack of proper interior insulation

http://www.caranddriver.com/dodge/dart

I've been stuck with the Cruze as a rental car a few times. I nearly started sobbing the last time I rented a car and they told me I was getting a Cruze because I hate that car so much. Everything about the car is horrible. The only thing I can say positive about it is the scissor jack in with the spare tire it comes with is a pretty good design.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I've been stuck with the Cruze as a rental car a few times. I nearly started sobbing the last time I rented a car and they told me I was getting a Cruze because I hate that car so much. Everything about the car is horrible. The only thing I can say positive about it is the scissor jack in with the spare tire it comes with is a pretty good design.

Try getting handed the keys to a Versa, Elantra or Galant. You'll be begging for keys to a Cruze.

The Mazda was starting to nickel and dime me. Just little stuff. Engine mount, brake rotor, wheel bearing, did the wheel bearing and discovered that I had a CV boot on the verge of rupturing....every weekend I had another job. Nothing major. Just little annoyances that occur on 10 year old cars approaching 200,000 miles.

My wife is really happy with her 200 S. I found I could buy its sister car, the Avenger, very cheap.

...yeah, there's a reason why the 4 bangers are cheap. The 3.6 is better but most of the Avengers are 2.4s and the 3.6es aren't much less than the 200. Neither can be had with a manual. Naturally, I checked out the Dart

I liked the Dart quite a bit, but 1.4t Multiair Aeros with manual transmissions are in short supply. The only one that was in a reasonable price range for me was a manufacturer buyback vehicle.Yeah, I know, the problem has been fixed but I still don't like it.

I found a Certified Pre-owned Cruze Eco manual for $3,000 less than similar year Cruzes. 12mo/12K bumper to bumper : 5yr 100,000 mi powertrain warranty.

Why was it $3000 less? The manual transmission. The salesman said that his manager did not like manuals on the lot and from what I can tell, that must be the case. They also had a Rabbit that was about $1000 less than it would have been on another lot and a Veloster that seemed a little low too.

The EPS isn't terrible. It feels better than the Sonata or Corolla's EPS. It still doesn't have the on center feel of the Mazda's hydraulic unit but it's decent.

Handling is good for low rolling resistance tires. Brakes are good even with drums out back. Shifter feels pretty good for a cable shifted unit. You could even say that it is Honda-like as long as you are talking about a 3rd generation Prelude shifter. It doesn't have the accurate "snick-snick" action of a newer Honda of course. Few cars do.

I like the seats too.

I can't believe that it has a 8+ 0-60 time. It pulls very hard for such a tiny engine. Spools up quickly. It feels more powerful than the Dart did even though the Dart has more power and torque Don't even look at the 2.0 Dart. That thing gets embarrassed by both the 1.4ts. It feels slow because it is slow.

I don't like the clutch pedal. It engages quickly and then it seems like there is 2 feet of dead travel. I'm going to have to look into that.

0% (CPO Cruze LaCrosse and Terrain) interest and I will still have 2 years of powertrain warranty left when it is paid off

I don't have pictures yet. I am still undoing the dealership detailer's work.

Both vehicles need to be test driven! This way your friend can decide which vehicle best fits his butt.

*Overall comfort vs. convenience

*View outward & ingress/egress

*Backseat vs. trunk space

*Power vs. mph

*Powertrain smoothness or noise vs. interior quiet

*Ride vs. handling combo

And on and on!

AND THE INFOTAINMENT IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE WITH PEOPLE...as most infotainment systems today are a frikken disaster. Chrysler has one of the best and GM is getting better!

Last edited:
I have rented both. In one word each:

Dart: Fun.
Cruze: Uninspiring.

This is not meant to imply the Cruze is "bad". It got the job done. The Dart felt like a small sports car.

My son has had a Dart for 2 yrs/25,000 miles and loves it. 2.0L w the 6 spd auto. Even though I'm a Chevy man, I'd probably get the Dart just because it's roomier inside and the interior is much nicer. They both have a big trunk for golf clubs and groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back