Used vehicle buying high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Because of something that happened FIFTY YEARS AGO, you will not buy a car from Chrysler. Absolutely incredible and utterly nonsensical!

Ssssh, you'll stir up our resident Mopar critic who will bombard you with stats until you puke...

I swore for years I would never, ever purchase new as I could pick up good used cars cheap. That all changed in 2008, seemed every used car I saw was either super high mileage or low mileage and almost cost the same as new. My thinking though is in another 2-3 years, the used market will be flooded with lots of cheap used cars due to the high car sales we have had now since about 2010. My mouth is salivating at the thought.

Yep the used car market will correct in another few years.

In 2009 I bought my 2005 Silverado with 52k miles on it at the time for $7,500. Right now a similar 2011 is twice that, to much.

No point in buying used unless your saving money and getting something in return.

Last edited:
When I bought my G35, the used prices were ridiculous. My price for my perfect car, brand new, was less than $2k more than the best deal I could find on a used one.

Strange times.

Originally Posted By: Shark
For 10k you could get a nice Hemi 300c or R/T Magnum

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Just looked at a sweet Magnum at 4k with Hemi and high miles.

I just bought an '05 300C (Hemi) RWD for ~$13k. Clean Carfax, one owner, and >>18,000
We went down to that dealer to get my wife a better car for bad weather than her '05 Civic, and left with both my car, and her "new" '06 Envoy 4.2 I6 with 17,000 miles.

Obviously, mpg was NOT our first concern.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vlpronj
Originally Posted By: Shark
For 10k you could get a nice Hemi 300c or R/T Magnum

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Just looked at a sweet Magnum at 4k with Hemi and high miles.

I just bought an '05 300C (Hemi) RWD for ~$13k. Clean Carfax, one owner, and >>18,000
We went down to that dealer to get my wife a better car for bad weather than her '05 Civic, and left with both my car, and her "new" '06 Envoy 4.2 I6 with 17,000 miles.

Obviously, mpg was NOT our first concern.

With good winter tires. my 05 Civic is an AWESOME winter car. I have a 60 mile commute over several mountains and have never had a problem (other than one flat tire, during which I got to drive through an ice storm with the donut on the rear right - and it still did well even with that).

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I swore for years I would never, ever purchase new as I could pick up good used cars cheap. That all changed in 2008, seemed every used car I saw was either super high mileage or low mileage and almost cost the same as new. My thinking though is in another 2-3 years, the used market will be flooded with lots of cheap used cars due to the high car sales we have had now since about 2010. My mouth is salivating at the thought.

Around here - it was like that until the last year.

When I bought the Focus, I couldn't find a USED compact car with under 5 years / 60K miles for UNDER $15K. Even Focuses were expensive used. One local place had a 2009 Nissan Versa base model (I really liked it) for $12K ... that was the car that retailed for $9998 new.

Walked into a Ford dealer and bought a brand new Focus for $13K. I'm going to hold on to it for a while now ... especially since its paid for.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
With good winter tires. my 05 Civic is an AWESOME winter car.

I guess I over-simplified; I should clarify that she never had any problems with her Civic in snow. We both like to have 4wd/AWD for those admittedly rare occasions it can make a difference in NJ, and I also wanted to replace her car with something larger, that's easier for her mom to get in and out of.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

When I bought the Focus, I couldn't find a USED compact car with under 5 years / 60K miles for UNDER $15K. Even Focuses were expensive used. One local place had a 2009 Nissan Versa base model (I really liked it) for $12K ... that was the car that retailed for $9998 new.

Walked into a Ford dealer and bought a brand new Focus for $13K. I'm going to hold on to it for a while now ... especially since its paid for.
EXACTLY the same here, although somehow I doubt that you bought a new Focus for 13K unless you mean after your trade-in.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: Miller88

EXACTLY the same here, although somehow I doubt that you bought a new Focus for 13K unless you mean after your trade-in.

No trade in.

This is a 2011 Focus so it was a bit cheaper than the current generation. It also ended production before I bought it (they were selling the 2012s already) so it was a leftover. Very heavily discounted.

Sticker on mine was $16 or so.

Originally Posted By: vlpronj
With good winter tires. my 05 Civic is an AWESOME winter car.

I guess I over-simplified; I should clarify that she never had any problems with her Civic in snow. We both like to have 4wd/AWD for those admittedly rare occasions it can make a difference in NJ, and I also wanted to replace her car with something larger, that's easier for her mom to get in and out of.

Do you still have the civic? Interested in selling?
smile.gif
Sounds like you traded it though?

Last edited:
Do you still have the civic? Interested in selling?
smile.gif
Sounds like you traded it though?

Yeah, sorry - traded it on the Envoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back