Who makes a flexible, removable caulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On sand rails, I've seen people use a flexible, removeable caulk where their air filter meets their carburetor to seal out any chance that any sand might make it past that point and into the engine.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my truck - use a small amount of flexible caulk inside the air cleaner assembly and then replace with a new OEM air filter. I'm thinking that would be a pretty easy way to confirm that 100% of the air will flow through the filter.

I'm sure the OEM filters do a pretty good job of making an air tight connection, but this seems like a pretty easy and harmless way to make sure of it!

Does anybody know of a flexible type caulk that I might use? Would it need to be something that's "high-temp" stuff? I wouldn't think it would get particularly hot inside an air cleaner assembly, would it?

Thank you,
Ed

It's probably just high temperature silicone, same as is sold for gasketing use on engines?

Dap Seal n Peel might be what you are looking for but I would be afraid it would come loose and get sucked into the engine.

Another product is called Draft Stop caulking.

If your vehicle has an O2 sensor make sure that the caulk doesn't have any silicone in in. A part per million of it will harm/kill an O2 sensor. Google is your friend to check this fact.

a friend had the same idea when we were rebuilding his engine in an early 70's muscle car. I brought over some basic 3/8" wide foam door weatherstripping that has an adhesive side, with the peel-off paper.worked very well, and the adhesive is strong, yet peels off easily for removal.cost was one dollar.
he also put this product on a newer car -- where the airbox top meets the paper filter perimeter rubber piece.
just food for thought.have a good day.

Originally Posted By: yeti
a friend had the same idea when we were rebuilding his engine in an early 70's muscle car. I brought over some basic 3/8" wide foam door weatherstripping that has an adhesive side, with the peel-off paper.worked very well, and the adhesive is strong, yet peels off easily for removal.cost was one dollar.
he also put this product on a newer car -- where the airbox top meets the paper filter perimeter rubber piece.
just food for thought.have a good day.

I like this idea...I'll check it out!

smile.gif

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back