2008 Elantra tire speed rating question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 hyundai elantra that needs a new set of tires. I found a set of General Altimax RT43 T-rated tires for right at 300 dollars. Would i be ok putting these T-rated tires on my elantra that came with H-rated? I know that they make this same size RT43 tire in an H-rated, but I can't find them as cheap. I'd rather use the T-rated anyway because of possibly getting a longer tread life. Also most of the H-rated and higher tires I've had in the past have had more road noise.

I've had a few tire shops tell me I shouldn't put T-rated tires on this car because it originally came with H-rated. This doesn't make sense to me because Hyundai also made this identical car available with 195/65-15 T-rated tires from the factory.

Thanks in advance for any info!

T=118mph max
H=130mph max

If you are not expecting to exceed 118mph, T is OK. Most conventional car tires are T rated.

The shops do not want to sell you T rated tires on a car that originally had H rated because of potential liability.

The concept is, cars' suspension systems are normally "tuned" for the particular tires it came with from the factory, and deviating from that can change the handling characteristics of the car. Probably not significantly, but it's a possibility.

Additionally, H-rated tires (and above) generally contain certain design elements that make them statistically safer than tires with a lower speed rating, such as additional cap plies for stability at higher speeds (which help at all speeds) and better heat dissipation. I personally believe, though this is my opinion only, that this is why most new cars come with higher rated tires now, where nearly all used used to come with S- or T-rated tires years ago.

In short, you should be fine with T-rated tires on your Elantra, if you can find a shop to install them. That said, don't discount the potential benefits of an H-rated tire.

I would agree with Hokie that you'll likely be fine but there might be other concerns that aren't strictly related to the speed rating. Some T rated tires handle differently than others whether they both can safely operate at 118 mph or not. This difference might not be too pronounced on an Elantra but, then again, it might in the right circumstances.

I think the concept of a tire that matches the tuning of the car relates more to the OEM contract than how well that particular tire will do on that vehicle. A manufacturer doesn't use a Firestone 710 as an OEM tire after exhaustive testing...it puts it on after needing to fill 22,000 more to fulfill the contract.

I'll get flamed, but how "tuned" is a 65 series tire anyway? That's for Grandma cars.
27.gif

Also consider how soft your OE struts (if you still have them) might be compared to new. That's already an abberation, a stretch in design spec.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'll get flamed, but how "tuned" is a 65 series tire anyway? That's for Grandma cars.
27.gif

Also consider how soft your OE struts (if you still have them) might be compared to new. That's already an abberation, a stretch in design spec.

My elantra has the 205/55-16 tires. They made this elantra with either 205/55-16 H-rated tires or 195/65-15 T-rated tires from the factory. I really doubt the suspension on these cars was tuned differently for each tire size.

Regardless of what replacement tire you buy, even if it is exactly the same brand, design and size, the odds are it is not the OEM tire. And, if it is the OEM tire, it may be a downstream tire that does not meet the car manufacturers specifications for quality, such as uniformity.

When we bought our Protege, I noticed the previous owner (middle aged woman) had been talked into a set of Goodyear V-rated tires! That car cannot push those kinds of speeds unless dropped out of an airplane.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
When we bought our Protege, I noticed the previous owner (middle aged woman) had been talked into a set of Goodyear V-rated tires! That car cannot push those kinds of speeds unless dropped out of an airplane.

Keep in mind, some tire brands and lines only make V, W and Z rated tires. I always chuckle when it's the cheap no-name brand tires too.. The cheapest tires in the 225/45R17 size on DTD are V rated Milestars.

Does anyone know if it's actually cheaper to make a V/W/Z rated tire than H?

The same issues arise with Camrys....that started out with S and T-rated tires and grew into V rated tires for basically the same vehicle...though it is true that some versions of post 2002 Camrys are a bit stiffer than others, it's STILL a Camry!

Choosing the speed rating of tires for a particular car has very little to do with the top speed of the vehicle, in practice or in capability...

Higher speed rated tires are generally better performing tires in all situations, especially in critical extreme circumstances....cornering and directional stability.

You should buy the speed rated tire that matches your driving style ("spirited" vs "grocery hauler") and concerns/preferences you have for buying the best/safest tire you can afford...

Last edited:
The 1994 Lexus LS400 had V-rated tire as OEM because its maximum speed was 150MPH. I replaced the first time with V-rated tire at around 1996-1997, after that I had S, T and H-rated tires on for more than 13-15 years. I just didn't drive the LS400 above 100 MPH when we went to Vegas.

The lower speed rate also effect performance/handling on both dry and wet surfaces, so I adjusted my driving habit a little.

The other cars had only V-rated or higher because of the size, 17" with 40-45 series are mostly available with V-rated or higher.

I think it's safe to say that you're buying an individual tire and not a speed rating. You should research the particular attributes and negatives to whatever you're considering buying and relate it to your driving style and the way the vehicle drives now. Some T rated tires are a lot more loose handling than others independent of whether they'll run at 118 mph for four hours. I buy a tire within a brand and not a brand of tire.

I would try to stay within the recommended speed rating and research whether it appears a particular tire is going to handle better, ride smoother, last longer or whatever parameter(s) I'm targeting. Personally, I wouldn't cheap out for a few bucks on a T vs. H rated tire if that's your main criteria. There can be a lot of differences. Example: a tire designated as XL in a size will likely make more difference to the ride quality than if it's just rated S, T, H or V. Example: some H rated tires handle better than certain V or W rated tires but there are V and W rated tires that are just as quiet as the H rated, etc., etc.

We have a very knowledegable tire guy here, CapriRacer.
This topic has come up from time to time and in at least one of these threads he wrote that what matters isn't so much the speed rating of the tire as it is the use of a cap ply in the tire's construction.
Tires so constructed rarely fail in service.
He went on to write that all H speed rated tires will have cap plies, so an H rated tire would be perfectly safe.
WRT "tuning", any comparison of tires of any given speed rating across four different brands, or even different tire models within the same brand will deliver quite different driving experiences, so I think that you can discount any notion that the car's suspension was somehow "tuned" for a given speed rated tire.
The pedestrian cars that most of us drive are tuned more for a decent and quiet ride and safe handling than for corner carving in any event. Safe handling means that the car will never oversteer unless provoked with either a tweak of the hand ("emergency" or parking) brake or maybe really rapid steering inputs on a really slick surface.
In short, you'll be fine on H rated tires.

Many tire shops refuse to install tires with a lower speed rating than what is shown on the door sticker. You should check your local tire dealers to learn what the policy is in your location. FWIW

Oldtommy

If S, and T speed rated tires are so dangerous, why do they even make them??? 2015 Camry specs S, and V rated tires. Pretty much the same car, only mostly being a difference in trim level. Sure, it makes a difference in handling/traction dynamics. I prefer V, but it comes down to, pick the tire for your driving style IMO. I've seen just as many high speed rated tires self destruct as S rated tires running well below there rated speed for whatever reason. Sure, you don't want to drive a S rated tire at 120 mph all day, but they seem to work on millions of vehicles just fine at normal highway speeds. On the autobahn your speed limit is what your tires are rated for, even there, you could over drive them if you wanted to be stupid.

Last edited:
There is no recommended speed rating that I can find anywhere on my elantra. It shows the tire size on the sticker but no speed or load rating. I don't see how this car can have a recommended speed rating of H when it came with both T and H rated tires from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Traction
If S, and T speed rated tires are so dangerous, why do they even make them??? 2015 Camry specs S, and V rated tires. Pretty much the same car, only mostly being a difference in trim level. Sure, it makes a difference in handling/traction dynamics. I prefer V, but it comes down to, pick the tire for your driving style IMO. I've seen just as many high speed rated tires self destruct as S rated tires running well below there rated speed for whatever reason. Sure, you don't want to drive a S rated tire at 120 mph all day, but they seem to work on millions of vehicles just fine at normal highway speeds. On the autobahn your speed limit is what your tires are rated for, even there, you could over drive them if you wanted to be stupid.

These are my thought also. I keep hearing how you have to have at least H rated tires to be safe. So the millions of cars driving around with S and T rated tires from the factory are unsafe?

I've also read that these general altimax rt43 T rated tires have cap plies(but I'm not sure if this is true), which is one reason people say H rated tires are safer.

Last edited:
Funny how many, many winter tires are S and T rated... Some are even Q and R rated...and the cars using them have NO PROBLEM...!

I have R speed rated Nokians on a Honda van... fantastic winter tires, and even on warm days... like today at 55* F ... the tires are reasonably stable at freeway speeds ...

You will have ZERO issues using a T speed rated tire on that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back