Disposing of coil spring strut assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is mandated, but I have seen a machine at the junkyard that drills a hole in the bottom of the strut to remove the oil. Once the hole is drilled a machine moves he shaft up and down a few times to get all the oil out. I tried Googling it, but came up empty.

At every repair shop I worked, we chucked those assemblies in the metal recycling bin, and the company that recycled our metal would accept them as they were.

Ask a repair shop permission, and they will probably accept your old struts, as they can be sold to their scrap metal dealer.

Most shops should take them. Save a pile of metal and take them your self, around here scrap metal is around 8 cents a pound.

I once took 10 shocks, among other junk, to the scrapyard. The guys there didn't seem to care about the shocks and didn't say anything about them. I threw them in the humongous pile of metal junk with the rest of my scrap.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Save a pile of metal and take them your self, around here scrap metal is around 8 cents a pound.

Not a good idea if you are married.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Put them on your lawn for 3 minutes. The scrappers will steal them.

Exactly. Fastest, easiest and most reliable method ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back