Which Auto Manufacturer Provides Best Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion, which of today's auto manufacturers provides the best overall service when it comes to their vehicles? Are there any out there that provide a "no hassle" and "make it right" experience when it comes to simple maintenance service, recall work, warranty work? In my personal experience Chevy has been the worst. They give run-a-round answers and do their best to not cover services.

I'm curious if any members have consistent satisfaction with what's available today?

Thanks

Edit - To clarify, I mean dealerships. When there is an issue and you feel the best bet is to take it to the dealership. I do not mean independent or chain auto repair/service centers.

Last edited:
You'd want to clarify if you're talking about the manufacturer, importer, distributor, zone manager, individual dealer, or individual service writer.

The problem is carmakers don't provide the service. Car dealers provide the service. The quality of the service and experience varies by dealer.

As was mentioned above, the number of variables makes it nearly impossible to answer.

Adding further, one persons experience will be totally different than anothers.

Its something that can't be fully verified and reported on. Service can be as nice as possible but might not fix the issue correctly. Service can also be the biggest jerk and gets fixed right but since they were mean/argumentative you wont consider it good service.

Rolls Royce

Proof:- Not a single Rolls Royce owner who purchased it new has ever complained about it on this forum.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Rolls Royce

Proof:- Not a single Rolls Royce owner who purchased it new has ever complained about it on this forum.

LOL! Maybe one of those 3or4 will show up here!

Rolls Royce

Same with the AMC Gremlin!
crackmeup2.gif

The correct answer is NONE-I've had great service by certain dealers of (allegedly) inferior brands, such as Chrysler-and I've had Toyota dealers that were WORTHLESS!!

You need to listen to word of mouth and read reviews in your area to find out which dealer provides the best service, not which manufacturer. Dealers tend to carry their reputation a long time, whether good or bad. Make sure you research the service dept. in particular...sales dept. is unimportant if you aren't a pushover, its staff will turn over completely before you are back at the dealer. Turnover is lower in service (usually) and that's the department you will be in contact with after the sale, so that's what you need to look into specifically.

The manufacturer rarely steps in on the customer level. Occasionally it will happen, but not often. Unless something is major or a unique case, the dealer will be the one making judgement calls on warranty and recall work.

Its impossible to say. I can get almost anything done on any GM under some sort of warranty or good will fix, a good friend of mine is a dealer and a friend of his is a zone manager.
Unfortunately in this business its has nothing to do with the manufacturer but who you know.

Hey, of course I am biased, but I would have to say Hyundai. Customer satisfaction is a huge focus of the brand from the top down. I am very impressed with Hyundai as a brand from my experience in a dealership service department.

In my experience, Honda easily has been the best, Dodge/Chrysler easily the worst. But there is no way to generalize by manufacturer, for the most part. I'm sure the luxury brands give you a better "experience", (loaners, chauffer service, loaners, snacks, luxury waiting areas, snacks etc) but actual better work? I doubt it.

Everyone I know that has owned a Hyundai has complained terribly about dealer service, from multiple dealers. yet they are listed above average.

Today at Subaru Grand Prix in Hicksville LI the service person started to up sell me and stopped in the middle of the pitch looked at me and left. I was remembered from last time! Today I am proud they knew to stop the you know what!! I worry that some are so in the dark and they drove there and will going home.

Rolls Royce

Pagani
Ferrari
Mclaren
Lamborghini

Same as above
smirk.gif

Tesla has some pretty amazing service. Until they build their service center next to my dealer in the next they are flat bed towing customer cars to the LA area for service.

For me it has been Toyota and Ford being the best, with Chevy dead last.

Classic example: We bought the 2005 Chevy Trailblazer in Jan. 2005. The wife and I went out of town in Aug. to celebrate our anniversary. Of course Aug in southern Ca can be very hot. The A/C in the Trailblazer quit working while driving around town. On the freeway it would freeze you out.

From reading various forums especially Trailvoy.com I had a pretty good idea that the electric fan clutch was bad. (IIRC, GM had about 4 or 5 different "updated" versions of the fan clutch over the first four model years). I took it to the dealership in San Diego where I bought it from and asked them to check it. They checked the pressures and said the system was properly functioning. I explained to them that it cools ok when it's 70 degrees outside, but NOT when it's in the mid 100's. I had printed out the TSB for the fan clutch and told them it was on the passenger seat of the SUV, maybe take a look? The next day they called me and said they replaced the fan clutch and I could come get it. It did fix the problem. After that at idle on a 100 degrees day it would throw 40 - 45 degree air out the vents, vs the 85 - 90 degrees I was getting previously.

Point is - I had to tell them WHAT the problem was, and HOW to fix it. They weren't going to do anything because as the service manager told me: "You can't expect the a/c to be ice cold around town . . . " I told him my (at the time) 10 year old Ford Aerostar would put out very cold air around town under the same circumstances. That seemed to spur him into action.

I do realize this was 10 years ago. If I had to do it over, I might have just replaced the fan clutch myself, ate the cost and saved myself the aggravation.

There were various other problems with this vehicle that GM NEVER fixed and most of them I ended up fixing myself. One was a vibration at idle. I took it to at least 3 different dealerships. One said they couldn't hear the vibration, one said they "adjusted the exhaust system" and one said they couldn't find the problem. In the end a member on the Trailvoy forum found that the motor mounts would go bad, causing the vibration. By the time I found this out, the vehicle was outside of the warranty period, so I replaced the mounts myself. Problem fixed just in time to sell it!

Last edited:
I know nothing except that one would be making a big mistake if you choose to purchase the top maker Audi for its stellar customer service rating assuming you wanted to keep the car for at least a decade.

Talking about for JDPowers, I am waiting for them to put Range Rover at the top of their list. One would think Tatas would have ample experience in greasing the palms to obtain the coveted spot on that list :)

Seriously, I have heard good things about Lexus dealership but of course you pay through nose. Personally, I prefer to have very very minimal unscheduled service experience so that I won't have to think if it is best or not. As far as manufacturer mandated scheduled services are concerned, they are very few during the warranty period and can be handled anywhere.

Last edited:
I think Lexus dealer was/is the best in term of customer services. Mercedes dealer is good but not as good as Lexus. Honda dealer is average and it doesn't matter much, because my 11 years old S2000 didn't need any service other than regular maintenance.

Tesla has amazing customer services, partly because the company runs the services not dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back