MOOG monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sad news if you like Raybestos chassis parts. I tried to purchase some Raybestos sway bar end links for my CRV and was told by my local parts guy that Raybestos chassis was sold out to Federal Mogul. He said that I can only purchase new old stock with everything in the Raybestos chassis line being phased out and Moog being the only chassis line for Federal Mogul. Raybestos brakes are still alive but Raybestos chassis parts are soon to be history.

http://americanmachinist.com/news/federal-mogul-takes-over-affinia-chassis-components

buy Beck-Arnley (essentially BAW), or Deeza (another name called FCP), or NOK/Senkei-555.

Don't bother with Moog, not worth your time.

Q.

Wasn't Raybestos just holding another brand name/ production line they acquired a few years ago?

Raybestos was owned by Brake Parts Inc,which was bought out by Affinia,which recently sold off its chassis business to FM.Step one to a monopoly.

MOOG did the same with the TRW brand as well. Never tried Deeza yet but they sound pretty good

#$^%#, thats disappointing. I need to do the front end on the CVPI at some point soon and I was going to go with all Raybestos parts. I know it has Moog upper BJs on it now that got put on it before I bought it, and surprise, they are bad.

Anybody know anything about Mevotech? They have parts available for it.

Last edited:
That really sucks. I have been VERY happy with the premium Raybestos chassis line. Not so happy with Moog. Moog bushings are okay, but their hard parts are extremely variable, ranging from "throw it in the trash," to "this might work for a year."

I have moog ball joints in the Cherokee.

It's been jumped (unintentionally) a few times with them and they seem to be doing okay so far.

That's a shame; I think Moog used to be pretty good...especially their Problem Solver line. I, too, have had spotty quality with some of the last Moog hard parts I purchased.

It really is a shame. Raybestos pro seemed to actually make an effort to put out a quality product. Moog seems to be all about riding their formerly good reputation, while offshoring everything and thumping the maximum profit bell. Baby needs a new diamond to make her friends jealous

I've got some of their older Made in the Usa Moog stuff like idler arms and a drag link, but I don't trust them for anything anymore.

Don't know who to trust. They all seem designed to last the warranty period and not one more day. Can't buy quality parts even if willing to pay extra. It could just be a cheapo part in an expensive box. Contemptible.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Yeah, I was looking at Mevotech sway bar end links, look pretty good.

If they were life critical I'd say keep looking. But end links are so cheezy anyway, why not?

Mevotech used to be horrid junk and maybe still are, though they could have beefed up your end link offering I guess, and if they're not chintzy metal.

I work for Napa. Raybestos Pro & Napa Premium hasn't changed to Moog yet-just ownership at this point. According to our rep, they will in the future but not yet. FYI, thru Napa's Altrom parts line you can get 555/Senkei chassis parts.

Dave

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Can't buy quality parts even if willing to pay extra.

I think you can if you buy OE parts, whether that's at a dealership, online, etc. I usually default to OE parts for everything anymore, unless I have a very specific reason (other than cost) to avoid them. They may not always be the absolute best, but you can be comfortable that there's at least some level of quality and conformity standards that are being met.

In general, the aftermarket competes on price alone. There are very few instances where the aftermarket part is more expensive than the OE part because it's of a higher material quality.

Raybestos (at least for their chassis parts) and Moog are just reboxers anyway. Beck/Arnley used to be very good, being either more selective of their sources if not the actual OE part reboxed.

It's possible, if not likely most of the time, that the Moog and Raybestos chassis parts were the same part in their own brand's boxes anyway. Therefore, this takeover changes nothing.

At least Deeza is still out there, making their own parts in their own factory in Turkey (and in some cases, Moog and Raybestos rebox those same Deeza parts!)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

It's possible, if not likely most of the time, that the Moog and Raybestos chassis parts were the same part in their own brand's boxes anyway. Therefore, this takeover changes nothing.

That happens in the industry, but in the case of these two, they were actual competitors with different designs.

Skip to 2:30 in the video...the "key competitor" mentioned in the video is Moog.

When you can't beat the competition, you buy them out and shut them down. It appears that this is the sad and unfortunate reality with Moog and Raybestos chassis.

At least Deeza is still out there, making their own parts in their own factory in Turkey (and in some cases, Moog and Raybestos rebox those same Deeza parts!)

And you assume?! LOL! Deeza has reboxed Taiwan made parts within too....

Most of you folks don't do enough suspension parts swapping to realise what aftermarket parts are decent (coz most of them aren't anymore) out there nowadays.

For Japanese automobiles, regardless of NA assembled or not, OE still fairs way better than that of aftermarkets.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
tommygunn said:
For Japanese automobiles, regardless of NA assembled or not, OE still fairs way better than that of aftermarkets.

OEM is usually better, but I usually find that if OEM swaybar links resemble outer tierod ends, they are all weak.

MOOG and Raybestos are usually an upgrade.

Originally Posted By: Quest

And you assume?! LOL! Deeza has reboxed Taiwan made parts within too....

So true! I have first hand experience with an outer tierod end. Expected a greasable part made in their modern plant in Turkey and got a generic white box non-greasable part from Taiwan. Deeza gave me a credit and told me that had been outsourcing these parts for a couple years. I told them they should update their website to reflect their changing manufacturing strategy. Buying any aftermarket part these days is a pure [censored] shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back