2016 Miata Engine Makes Less Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Miata 2.0L engine generated 167 hp with 140 lb-ft of torque, the 2.0L engine of the 2016 Miata will deliver 155 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque.

Don't they go the wrong way ? Newer engine in newer car should produce more power not less. The increase of 8 lb-ft of torque from 140 lb-ft to 148 lb-ft is nice, the power should be around 190-200 HP not 155 HP. Toyota and Subaru 2.0L engines made even 200 HP.

Mazda's aim with the newer Skyactiv engine family is efficiency and usable power. True, the MZR it replaces was more highly strung but was also comparatively thirsty. Tighter CAFE and CO2 caps are part of the new world order, for better or worse.

We've gotten so used to the modern horsepower war that all we know is MORE. I say enough with it.

Coupled to 2300ish lbs it likely won't make a hoot of difference. I believe the car is lighter and potentially the 2016 engine is more usable.

Is it possible that the 2015 really made 155, and they realized it?

Some lawn mowers were found a few years ago to have inflated hp ratings.

My portable 30g air compressor ( oilless ) bought 15 years ago states its a 5 hp, yet it runs on 110v. Clearly not 5HP on 110v.

Perhaps they discovered the orginal numbers were off and corrected them for 2016 and there is no real hp change.

HP numbers sell but thats really all there is to it. Its for an uninformed person to look at and think, more is better, yay!

The added torque, especially if low in the RPM band, may be a far more welcome addition than a few HP at 6000 RPM. Especially if its done with higher MPGs.

Keep in mind that the Miata is not about power. It's about the balance of the whole package. My Miata would be a totally different car if it had 200hp. Instead, I have 140hp and have to really wring it out to get anywhere. That's part of what makes the Miata great. Kudos to Mazda for keeping the car's intent the same into the ND generation. I know it sounds odd, unless you've driven a Miata (especially an older gen one).

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
My Miata would be a totally different car if it had 200hp. Instead, I have 140hp and have to really wring it out to get anywhere. That's part of what makes the Miata great. Kudos to Mazda for keeping the car's intent the same into the ND generation. I know it sounds odd, unless you've driven a Miata (especially an older gen one).

Until they added the variable intake in 97 (I think) the motor wasn't even awake below 3500. Something about peak torque at 5000 rpm.

Most overrated measurable - 0-60

Most misunderstood - peak hp in relation to usable torque

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
2015 Miata 2.0L engine generated 167 hp with 140 lb-ft of torque, the 2.0L engine of the 2016 Miata will deliver 155 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque.

Don't they go the wrong way ? Newer engine in newer car should produce more power not less.

The car also weighs less, such that the power-to-weight ratio is a hair higher and torque-to-weight ratio is significantly higher.

Sounds like a win to me!

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
We've gotten so used to the modern horsepower war that all we know is MORE. I say enough with it.

Couldn't agree more. Too much weight, too much power, not enough fun. So so so refreshing to see a company go in exactly the opposite direction.

The MZR engine family is old and redundant. Get over it and look towards SkyActiv because it is one of the only GDI systems that doesn't have carbon buildup issues.

The 2016 Miata also weighs ~150 lbs less than a 2015 Miata. It has a better power to weight ratio, and likely more usable power. Being lighter has advantages.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Some lawn mowers were found a few years ago to have inflated hp ratings.

Sort of...but for a different reason. They were found to be rated at a speed that was higher than the engine is allowed to turn (because of blade tip restrictions), so it never was producing that much power. So the horsepower rating wasn't necessarily a falsification: the engine would actually produce the rated power...but on a test bench...and never under the circumstances the consumer would see.

Oh...and Klutch9...get your Miata checked out ASAP...it must be the only one around with two 5th gears (and missing a 4th)!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Also MZR is a reminder of Ford. Fords are JUNK.

Please, this isn't the 4th grade..... or even a thread about Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Also MZR is a reminder of Ford. Fords are JUNK.

Boy, lots of thought and analysis obviously went into this statement
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Don't they go the wrong way ? Newer engine in newer car should produce more power not less.

The car also weighs less, such that the power-to-weight ratio is a hair higher and torque-to-weight ratio is significantly higher.

Sounds like a win to me!

I'm thinking about replacing my 11.5 years old S2000 in future. I'm looking for a light weight 2-seater convertible that is fun to drive, but it needs power to get below 6 sec 0-60 MPH.

It's hard to replace a convertible 2-seater that has 240 HP weight about 2850 lbs(11.8 lbs per HP) to a 155 HP weight about 2350 lbs(15.1 lbs per HP). Performance wise the new Miata(or any previous model year) couldn't touch 10-15 years old S2000, Miata handling is probably as good. I was hopping that Miata with improved Skyactiv engine can make 200 HP to achieve 11.7 lbs per HP, so that it can get below 6 sec to 60 MPH.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Sounds like a win to me!

I'm thinking about replacing my 11.5 years old S2000 in future. I'm looking for a light weight 2-seater convertible that is fun to drive, but it needs power to get below 6 sec 0-60 MPH.

It's hard to replace a convertible 2-seater that has 240 HP weight about 2850 lbs(11.8 lbs per HP) to a 155 HP weight about 2350 lbs(15.1 lbs per HP). Performance wise the new Miata(or any previous model year) couldn't touch 10-15 years old S2000, Miata handling is probably as good. I was hopping that Miata with improved Skyactiv engine can make 200 HP to achieve 11.7 lbs per HP, so that it can get below 6 sec to 60 MPH.

Apparently Motor Trend got the Z8 to do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. 400HP weighing at 3,495lbs, 8.74 lbs per HP. I know you were probably thinking about something newer though
smile.gif

The current Z4 doesn't come close to meeting your criteria unfortunately.

Z8 is nice, it has the performance but its handling isn't as fun as lighter car Miata or the slightly heavier S2000.

Miata sets the handling standard for 2-seater convertible since it was introduced more than 25-30 years ago. It lacks the power to keep up with Camaro, Mustang, S2000 ... in winding roads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back