how to tell where engine made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw in today's Newspaper, that Ford has started Producing the 2L Ecoboost Engine at one of the Cleveland plants. Prior to this they were only made in Valencia Spain, and Imported.
the article didn't say when production went online.

mainly Curious as my Dad just bought an Escape with this engine.

not that it makes a huge Difference in the end, just curious. (Most of his vehicles in the past 20 years have had either Lima, or Cleveland built Engines)

I have no suggestions besides trying Google but that is cool that they are getting good ol Americans to build the engine and in turn help the country. I'm thinking of getting one or the edge in the upcoming year.

And to get more into it, the engine might be made in the US, but the block cast some place else. The Cummins "53" block was cast in Brazil but the engine was made in the USA. It has a weak spot and can crack.

The Monroney label (window sticker) on any car built in the last several years should indicate where the engine and transmission are built.

The window sticker maybe?

My Subaru window sticker listed the engine as made in Japan while vehicle and other content Made in USA.

From what I've been hearing the Us is becoming more competitive with other countries as their standard of living goes up. I remember working for my BIL in San Diego, and someone added carbon black to a plastic/glass fiber molded run of parts. So guess what happened?

The part shorted out under water. He told me within the last year that the hassle was not worth any possible savings. These parts were being made in China.

If you are buying a car brand new, it will say on the window sticker.

If the car isn't new, and the sticker isn't there, you would have to find various casting numbers on the engine block and engine heads. Next, you would need a guide that translates those numbers into engine info.

I don't know if this works in all situations.

Another thing I have heard is that certain VIN numbers not only mention what engine you have, but also where other things get built.

it is a new (MY 2015) Ford Escape(Sept 17,2014 Build Date). Just Looked @ the Window sticker, and the only locations mentioned are the final Assembly plant(Louisville), and the dealer it was originally delivered to.

doesn't mention % Foreign or Domestic parts, like i've seen on Chrysler window stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back