M1 0W40, 2774mi, 170 days, 94 Q45 (VH45DE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, this is my first UOA post.
factory original vh45de, 112595 total miles.
engine has 'JWT-like' ECU with modified timing maps and leaner high rpm fuel metering. M1 0w40 for last 15 mos and 8000ish miles. this was 3rd run of the M1 0W40, valvoline durablend 10w40 was used for 'clean-up' prior to switch to M1. oil was changed at lo mileage due to my paranoia about no more than 6 mos OCI (i'm listening).

M1-208 filter, 6qt sump, nissan#16546-1p100 air filter, and AF was replaced with same at 722 miles into this sample.
OAT coolant in 30/70 mix with distilled H20 + WW.

driving. obviously i don't drive huge miles. typical is 15 min and 6 miles oneway. engine gets 15 seconds on every startup for oil press stabilisation prior to drive. low manifold pressures always during warm-up, often holding lower gears manually and floating up to 2700-3000 before shift.
always 10 minutes minimum before i open her up. engine usually sees at least 1 run to redline every extended driving cycle.

apologies in advance if posting the whole report is bad netiquette.

uoa113jan07va1.jpg

Given this low usage, I'd just change oil once a year, or if it's easier to remember every 6000 miles. The low solids level and high FP indicate this oil is perfectly good.

The 4154 ppm of calcium is clearly a typo or lab error...it should be more like 2500-3000 ppm, depending on the # of additive depletion.

yes, i take your point on the seemingly anomalous Ca. However, another member (digital hippie) just had blackstone do a UOA on M1 0W40 and also showed ~2x the expected Ca. New formulation of the M1 perhaps?

Have a strong conviction that M1 0W-40 should show Ca in the range of 2600-2900. Such content is more appropriate to an european formulation. And if you check posted UOAs, you will see that in more than a half of them M1 shows these values. However, the number of UOAs is showing 2400, 2200 and even 1500 and I don't think 1500-2200 may be caused by a depletion process only. Now we see M1 0W-40 with 4100. And though 4100 seems better than 1500-2200, all these deviations show something wrong with the quality control.

Originally Posted By: VH45DE
hi, this is my first UOA post.
factory original vh45de, 112595 total miles.
engine has 'JWT-like' ECU with modified timing maps and leaner high rpm fuel metering. M1 0w40 for last 15 mos and 8000ish miles. this was 3rd run of the M1 0W40, valvoline durablend 10w40 was used for 'clean-up' prior to switch to M1. oil was changed at lo mileage due to my paranoia about no more than 6 mos OCI (i'm listening).

M1-208 filter, 6qt sump, nissan#16546-1p100 air filter, and AF was replaced with same at 722 miles into this sample.
OAT coolant in 30/70 mix with distilled H20 + WW.

driving. obviously i don't drive huge miles. typical is 15 min and 6 miles oneway. engine gets 15 seconds on every startup for oil press stabilisation prior to drive. low manifold pressures always during warm-up, often holding lower gears manually and floating up to 2700-3000 before shift.
always 10 minutes minimum before i open her up. engine usually sees at least 1 run to redline every extended driving cycle.

apologies in advance if posting the whole report is bad netiquette.

Reposting this as original report link is broken, and a few more UOAs have been obtained.

UOA_7_with_notes_Page_1.jpg

Yeah, lead is trending up over the years, but still far from critical. If the hot idle oil pressure starts to drop, that will be the first sign to worry. I'd just stay with the 0W-40 and change it every 5-7000. I see you've never added make up oil - is the level low at change time? If so, I'd keep it topped off.

Thanks for your interest.
I have a theory on the lead, which is that it is a byproduct of Sunoco refining at least here in Fl. Since we have no annual emissions, i suspect they run lead upto the legal max and could care less about killing cats.
I noticed a lead marker in all three of my engines of this series (2x VH45DE and 1x VH41DE)starting in 2010-2011, which was also about the time i temporarily deviated from my Chevron supreme regime (harder to get in my area) and started using the sunoco.
my 1995 Q actually went as high as 33ppm in 2011 and i was thinking i was killing the rods.
I switched back to Chev sup in early 2012 and the next two reports on that engine went to 19, and most recently 10ppm.
This most recent run on the 94 Q (sampled Apr 2013) still had a few months and maybe 5 tanks of sunoco. I will of course confirm or not that hypothesis on the next sample but the '94 is now only 3k into this run as the Q's are now weekly as opposed to daily drivers.

Never, ever have added a drop of make up. Unlike the later series VK motors with their light tension rings (read oil-burners)--the VH series is tight.

I think those numbers are in check with the way you use the car and treat it. Which is just fine and those numbers are just fine as well. I'd be pleased with it!

Thanks! i'm not too concerned, but thought I'd share.
I do pamper my cars.
I don't believe i abuse my engines--A lot of times I drive like a grandpa (oh wait...I am a grandpa....) But seriously I do love the cacophony of the Nissan VH when it winds out.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back