I think I just became a victim of the stop sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to update:

New Block
New Heads
Same Turbo

all the etc...as well.

I should be getting it back today.

There is this nagging thing about me using their loaner. He is billing it out at $35/day yet on the sheet it says I owe $0. This is the first time any dealership has charged me with using a loaner. I just can't wrap my head around it. It all seems like a scam just to wring more money out of someone.

Originally Posted By: Al
Not really the EJ N/A has been in production for like 13 years. Yes the HG issue is bad. But 80% of these engines go 120K miles with few problems. Once the HG's get fixed they are good for at least another 120K. Hardly a bad engine. The Turbo EJ engine is fundamentally the same as the EJ N/A. It has no HG issues bc has a semiclosed deck. It was in production longer than the EJ N/A.

Subaru was derelict for not changine the Open Deck EJ to a Semiclosed Deck imho

In a vacuum or compared to older standards, going 120k miles without needing this kind of work is fantastic.

The problem is that there are so many other engines out there that don't need this kind of work every 120k.

I'd still buy a Subaru because I think they build really great cars, but I certainly wouldn't buy one equipped with an engine known for eating head gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
So to update:

New Block
New Heads
Same Turbo

all the etc...as well..

Did they say what they found? Early in the thread you said you had good oil pressure, then later you said no oil pressure..

Just trying to wrap my melon around this.

I know my brother once ran into an issue with an EJ253. He pulled the engine to replace head gaskets and replace some seals. He did something wrong installing the oil pump and had a knock. He pulled the engine again and took it to the Subaru specialty shop he works with. IIRC, it was a misplaced O-ring in/on the oil pump.

Opps I never updated that part.

Number 2 connecting rod blew apart at the bearing. Bad part from the factory. It's funny because about a year back one morning I could have sworn it knocked for a second or two but never thought anything off it. It never happened again.

Maybe it was the putting around in the city after the highway that finally killed it. Lower oil pressure finally let the bearing spin and then after that no pressure.

BIG UPDATE:

Picked up and close to $1,800 poorer for the experience.

Loaner was not covered fully so that plus all the little nags they won't cover.

I guess it's better than $9,000 right?

I will even scan the pages if you guys like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back