Gasoline Brands...better or worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent really seen this, but around this part of North Central PA....some brands of gas run out quicker than you put in, and others seem to get better mileage.

Any brands that seem to really stand out to you folks?

I used to think all the gasoline was the same and shopped at the least expensive convenient place -- that was until I started having a rough idle problem. After 5 tankfuls of Kirkland Clean Power, the engine smoothed out quite noticeably.

Here the fuel sold in town comes from 2 tank parks. One in Lynn Haven Florida & the other in Southwestern Georgia.

Really the only difference in the fuel sold is the type of additive and amount of Ethanol.

That being said my wife and I seem getting the best mileage using Shell + Two stations are not far from the house.

I don't use Quik-E-Mart gas for comparison, but I notice what appears to be a small difference between Shell and Chevron gas which is the only two brands I typically use.

The Chevron seems to consistently get slightly better mileage that might be thought of as above the margin of random chance. What's especially interesting is that, although I hand calculate my mileage, my dashboard mpg computer consistently reacts differently when using Chevron vs. Shell gas although the final end result is close. I think it's safe to say that your gas choice will make a markedly greater difference in mpg versus something like going from 5w-20 to 5w-30 grade oil.

I never had any problems with the cheapo gasoline stations. I generally purchase at those places when it is convenient.

In our area, it either comes from Altoona, PA Tank Farm or the Warren, PA refinery.

I have a close friend ho drives tanker out of the Warren Refinery, and he said that they all start with the same base, and depending on "brand" it dictated the additive package that went in next. It was pretty well known in those circles which companies skimped on additives, and which didn't.

Around here we really don't have the big name oil as in many other states. Mostly Sheetz, Kwik Fill, and a few other smaller players

I've got close to 100k of MPG data from the 2 vehicles in my signature and there is no real difference in gas brands. Weather and city/highway mix makes much more of a difference than brands.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
....the only difference in the fuel sold is the type of additive and amount of Ethanol.

Good point. The quality of the additive package and the amount of (debilitating) ethanol can make a big difference.

The gas name will not matter, the storage tanks the gas sits in will.

If its a really old place that has not updated its tanks or pumps then chances are more water and trash will get in. But newer tanks and pumps have built in filters plus better seals.

I fill up at Costco. Good gas, good price.

I also like the fact that there is high turn over. I'm hoping that contributes to cleaner gasoline that's always fresh. The have tankers there 4 to 5 times a day, sometimes more.

I also fill up at Costco. They turn over a lot of fuel. Place is always busy and the price is the best around.

Find a major brand that does a lot of business. I use a Shell that is a truck stop/convenience store/car wash along US 30 and they sell a lot of gasoline.

This will completely depend on where you are and where the gas there is sourced from. No one single answer.

And yes, while "gas is gas" is sorta true, there is a lot of room in the specs to formulate and build the gas differently to allow for different refining processes and feedstocks.

In the Twin Cities, the American Lung Association used to test gas from the three major refiners product that dominated the area. They showed significant differences in the actual makeup and content of what was all sold as 87 octane E-10. That reflected the different recipe of feedstock and refining processes in use at the different refineries. In our area, you can count on Holiday gas being from Flint Hills refinery in Rosemount, MN. Superamerica gas will be from Northern Tier Refinery in St. Paul Park, MN. Everything else could be from either one of those two or from elsewhere via pipeline (Typically Tesoro in Mandan, ND or Calumet in Superior, WI (whose gasoline stinks to high heaven, as anyone who fuels in Northern MN can attest to).

You need to do your homework on your areas supply, not just assume that Brand X is the same everywhere. Its not.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I've been running BP & Shell exclusively lately, definitely better than that overpriced urine that I used to get from Speedway.

I've never really noticed any difference.
Lately, I've been filling one of the cars at a Valero that typically has low prices and is top tier.
I've logged every tank of fuel in every car for decades.
I may be seeing better fuel economy on this top-tier fuel.
I won't really know without a few thousand miles of this fuel in this car.
Could a higher detergent level actually be doing something or could it be that I've gotten a few early tanks of low RVP summer blend fuel?

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I've got close to 100k of MPG data from the 2 vehicles in my signature and there is no real difference in gas brands. Weather and city/highway mix makes much more of a difference than brands.

I agree. Weather, especially wind condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back