Transformer oil disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
Can transformer oil be disposed with motor oil? We have a couple gallons of old Texaco HV transformer oil that needs to go. MSDS shows it is made of hydrotreated petroleum distillate, with equal parts of CAS 64742-53-6 and CAS 64742-46-7. I don't want to "poison" the waste oil stream at work.

I would ask Texaco when this oil was blended to make sure it doesn't contain any traces of polychlorinated biphenyls or PCB's.

If it contains ONLY what the MSDS states, then it is safe for usual disposal.

I am surprised the MSDS doesn't show an antioxidant such as CAS 68411-46-1.

As asked above, how old is it.

As an owner of a buisiness you are liable if you get caught disposing of anything contaminated with PCBs. The legal and environmentally correct thing to do is call a local environmental waste company (we use Safety Kleen local to us) and have it tested. If you dispose of it the same as you would normal motor oil and it is traced back to you you will be liable not only for the disposal of the original oil drum you contaminated but all the oil you contaminated in the process. This could be as much as an entire tanker truck depending on how far it gets.

And don't think they can't trace it back to you, if you are disposing of your oil with any liscenesed company they track every customers oil with a batch number. I have heard stories of large companies paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in dispoal fees and fines when they could of simply properly disposed of the 15 or 20 gallons and been done with it. I'm sure lots of companies get away with it, but the repercussions just aren't worth it IMO.

The oil is likely as old as the unit it came from - 17 years old. The MSDS is for the replacement oil. I guess we're not even sure if Texaco manufactured the original oil.

I'll just ask the equipment manufacturer - who is on site - to handle disposal. I only offerred disposal at our site because I assumed it was harmless oil.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Can transformer oil be disposed with motor oil? We have a couple gallons of old Texaco HV transformer oil that needs to go. MSDS shows it is made of hydrotreated petroleum distillate, with equal parts of CAS 64742-53-6 and CAS 64742-46-7. I don't want to "poison" the waste oil stream at work.

As GE about dumping this kind of transformer oil into the Hudson River.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Ask GE about dumping this kind of transformer oil into the Hudson River.

That is why the Mfgs moved to China.

Lineman training and on the job we were told newer than 1980 no pcb's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back