Meguiar's Gold class car wash & conditioner review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some of this stuff on sale over the winter, and decided to use it on the just out of hibernation Miata yesterday. A couple notes first... all my life I've used cheap car wash soap. I never really thought the soap made a difference. Wax and polish, sure, but not soap... I was wrong. I couldn't help but notice that the cheap soaps simply don't suds (sud?) very well, and have almost no lubricity. The Gold Class soap/conditioner certainly isn't expensive by any means, but others had mentioned how good it is for the price, so I gave it a shot.

The first thing I noticed was how thick the soap was coming out of the bottle. It sudsed up quickly and had a decent smell to it, which is always nice. When applying the soap to the paint, the suds kept coming. This, in addition to the lubricity that this soap has, made washing a pretty dirty car quite easy. I've never had a wash mitt glide across paint like it did with this soap.

What possibly most impressed me was the way the car shined afterwards. It was getting dark last night so I didn't really get a good look, but this morning I walked outside and couldn't believe how shiny the car was. It was last waxed sometime last October shortly before being put away, so I'm sure there's still a good layer of protection there. But I've never seen the car shine this much directly after a wash. All-in-all, this is an easy to use soap that gave great results after my first use. Just wanted to share.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I bought some of this stuff on sale over the winter, and decided to use it on the just out of hibernation Miata yesterday. A couple notes first... all my life I've used cheap car wash soap. I never really thought the soap made a difference. Wax and polish, sure, but not soap... I was wrong. I couldn't help but notice that the cheap soaps simply don't suds (sud?) very well, and have almost no lubricity. The Gold Class soap/conditioner certainly isn't expensive by any means, but others had mentioned how good it is for the price, so I gave it a shot.

The first thing I noticed was how thick the soap was coming out of the bottle. It sudsed up quickly and had a decent smell to it, which is always nice. When applying the soap to the paint, the suds kept coming. This, in addition to the lubricity that this soap has, made washing a pretty dirty car quite easy. I've never had a wash mitt glide across paint like it did with this soap.

What possibly most impressed me was the way the car shined afterwards. It was getting dark last night so I didn't really get a good look, but this morning I walked outside and couldn't believe how shiny the car was. It was last waxed sometime last October shortly before being put away, so I'm sure there's still a good layer of protection there. But I've never seen the car shine this much directly after a wash. All-in-all, this is an easy to use soap that gave great results after my first use. Just wanted to share.

Been using it for over 10 years, totally agree.

Hmmmm! Maybe I'll try some this Spring/Summer. I need more car wash soap anyway as I am just about out!

Last edited:
I bought some of it last year for the Firebird and noticed that when I left it in the garage (in freezing temps) it caused the fluids to seperate from suspension. It looks like a floating mass inside of it now, even when I shake it back up. I hadn't had that problem with the cheaper washes I used before, so I was a bit surprised. My bottle of Formula 1 wash/wax did the same thing that I bought around the same time. I guess I'll have to keep my washes indoors next winter.
smile.gif
It did work fine though, when I did use it. I have to say, though, that my favorite was Zaino Z-7.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Great product, but I prefer Meguiars Hyper wash due to the lower cost.

+1. I also use Chemical Guys Citrus wash and gloss when I want to strip the LSP or wash a real dirty car. Hyperwash is my go to maintenance wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back