Lowest NOACK 30/40 wt oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
For a BMW N55 (DI, high oil temps, twin turbo).

Preferably 0/5/10w-30/49 and ACEA A3. BMW LL-01 desirable but prefer the other specs.

Never run below freezing, so even 10w-30 is ok.

Currently running BMW 5w-30.

Thanks!

4.7% 10w30 for pp, 10w30/sae30 4stroke Amsoil sits at 4.4%. I'm going to go with pp due to price one I use up my stash. I heard mb229.5 is supposed to be <10. Redline is 6 no matter what you get. Amsoil ss is 7.6?

M1 0w-40 is 8.8%...
21.gif

The last Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 information sheet listed NOACK at 6.8%.

Does anyone know the NOACK for Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40? It seems to carry many of the same certifications (A3, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, BMW LL-01).

Last edited:
From the spec's and past reputation of it's predecessor I'd be very careful with the maintenance. You might consider oil changes more frequent than recommended and really watch the cooling system.

One person I've talked to about his N55 says he now uses Red Line products and changes oil at 5K intervals. If he's driven especially hard he goes to 3-4K intervals. He said he did not think he was smart enough about oil to attempt to push the limits and the consequences were not worth a few extra bucks.

He's a bit gun shy because he had an M3 that lost its rod bearings following BMW dealer service for everything right on their schedule. They fixed the car but it took a while and he no longer believes in oil change intervals longer than 5K even if the dealer says it's okay. This is his 11th BMW and he's a definite BMW fan.

He also owns a 1972 Bavaria with the engine and running gear from a 1985 M5. It looks stock from the outside and it's what I would call a "gentleman's express". The car was built by a mechanic for a BMW racing team and it looks like it was done at the factory. This was his first BMW.

If you'll have to do a top-end cleaning every 60k or so anyway, does it really matter which approved oil you use?

Last edited:
It's not ACEA A/3. M1 10W-30HM is. Not a 30-grade but M1 or PU 0W-40 is the best bet.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
The lowest I've seen is PP 10W30 so far.

Another one to consider: Joe Gibbs Driven DT40. It's formulated for turbocharged water cooled European engines.

PUE 5w40 is really good for a store-bought oil.
RL 5w30 or 10w40, depending on how thick you really want to go.
AMSoil AMO, ACD, or HDD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
If you'll have to do a top-end cleaning every 60k or so anyway, does it really matter which approved oil you use?

Have to? Lots of folks out there running fine with more than that mileage.

Plus it may take me 30 years to get there at this rate
smile.gif

M1 0W40
Castrol 0W40
Change every 5K, drive it the way they should be driven (warm up oil, then do not let it drop below 3000rpm) and forget about it.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 0w-40 is 8.8%...
21.gif

Different weight oils will have different % volatility even within the same brand.

PUP 0w-40 is 13%

http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploa...sler-en-TDS.pdf

I know, my shrug was in reference to why not just use that, as it is quite low for that type of viscosity spread. It seems to be the logical choice.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

PUE 5w40 is really good for a store-bought oil.

Ive never seen this in a store!

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
F(xx) or E(xx) car?

M1, Dealer oil(Shell GTL), Red line, and Amsoil.

2011 135i Cv M-sport 6MT N55

Dealer oil is now Shell GTL? Thought it was Castrol?

I only put a few thousand miles on the car a year in reality, and only nice weather.

It will sit for a month or two at a time in some cases. No salt allowed.

Im not afraid of two year OCIs, I do them in my saab with M1 0w-40 all the time. But if I can improve on M1 I will for the DI use.

Have we figured out the real value of PU 5w-40 these days? Is Amazon the only source?

When Advance Auto Parts has a Pennzoil Platinum special, the Ultra Euro 5w40 is included.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
F(xx) or E(xx) car?

M1, Dealer oil(Shell GTL), Red line, and Amsoil.

2011 135i Cv M-sport 6MT N55

Dealer oil is now Shell GTL? Thought it was Castrol?

I only put a few thousand miles on the car a year in reality, and only nice weather.

It will sit for a month or two at a time in some cases. No salt allowed.

Im not afraid of two year OCIs, I do them in my saab with M1 0w-40 all the time. But if I can improve on M1 I will for the DI use.

Have we figured out the real value of PU 5w-40 these days? Is Amazon the only source?

Thanks. I haven't seen it there but also haven't been looking...

I still have some PU from a few years ago. Never used.

Do we know for certain the PU noack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back