91k/7yrs on factory fill! (Under valve cover pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is what was found inside a 'Barra' 4.0 inline 6 from a 2008 Ford BF Falcon. It was taken to a garage the other day because one of the cams siezed. Reason? It has has never had an oil change! 7 years and 91,000 kms on that factory fill with all that break in residue.

Are we 100% sure that is the case? If so this is good proof about how durable engines these days are. Imagine how long the oil was churning through the system like molasses from oxidation before it finally seized..

Yes this case is spot on, even had the factory oil filter.
I have personally known the older SOHC I6s (before 2002) without VVT or anything go 150,000 KMs without an oil change on dino, and that was done by a close family friend. I pulled the dipstick and there was nothing but black crud, topped up with oil and it smoke screened! That thing had 410k on it at that point.
I have no doubt that an older engine without VVT would still be running with 91k on the oil but still what a horrible torture to put an engine through!

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Just goes to show you that synthetic oil is not what it is cracked up to be.

I highly doubt it would even be synthetic, most likely a bulk 5w30 blend

Are you saying that you are supposed to change the oil in your engine?
shocked2.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Oh no.......

What was even factory fill in the Barra engines? What filter do they use? Things I have always been curious about but cannot get anyone at the Mother Ship here in the US to answer.

Are you going to try to clean it, or is this engine going to be pulled and replaced? I ask because it looks like it's still in the engine bay.

Now this isn't exactly something we see everyday. I too am curious, what is your plan for next steps? My guess is that the factory fill isn't Mobil 1

Last edited:
I'm not sure what brand oil they would have used but since it it Ford my guess would be Motorcraft 5w30.
I believe the Barra got a larger oil capacity (around 7 qts) so that should have helped the VCT units last a little longer! As for the filter it uses a Z9, Motorcraft AFL1 or Valvoline VO1 filter which are normally the largest on the shelf of PC oil filters.
Obviously this isn't my car so I'm not sure what happened next or if the engine was swapped. This is what got habded to a mechanic I regularly interact with on an Aus Ford forum. I will try to find out what happened to it!

I'm always amazed how an engine can run so long without drinking at least a little bit of oil over time and basically running dry before it sludges up like that.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
I'm always amazed how an engine can run so long without drinking at least a little bit of oil over time and basically running dry before it sludges up like that.

I've always thought the exact same but I guess if it was a brand new engine like this was then it just wouldn't burn it at all and once it's sludged it's not going anywhere! These engines aren't known to burn oil though after any amount of mileage if they're maintained, I reckon the engine in the pic would burn oil if it was filled with a 30 weight now though

What did the owner think of all those oil change commercials on TV? That they were made up by Quick-E-Lube places to drum up business? "The 3,000-mi/5,000-km oil change is a myth. Look at me, I've got 90,000+ miles on my oil and it's still going strong."

I once had a 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.8l in my shop with a rod through the side of the block. 99,000 miles. Since there is little demand for used toyo engines, I quickly located one for 600$ with only 29k miles. Called the owner, an indian doctor and let him know I could install the engin with new belts, hoses, timing belt and tune up for 1600$ out the door. My brother began removing the engine ans called me over. He wiped the oil filter off and it was the OE filter, the date code on the filter proved it. I called the owner. He owned it since new, never changed the oil but admitted the "red light comes on" every 25k or so and he would ad 2 qts of oil from the gas station. Go figure! It didnt blow up until his 16 yr old son began driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back