Cleveland finally has a Discount Tire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shopping recently for new tires to replace my General Altimax HP's that I have had the last three and a half years as my summer tires. Solid tire, aside from the loud drone noise that developed in a tire last year that drove me nuts. No abnormal wear or anything, must be internal?

Anyway... Tires had about 4 or 5/32 left or so. Decided I wanted a longer lasting tire that was quieter and decided to look at touring tires. Eventually decided on the Pirelli P7 AS Plus. Priced them out and discovered discount tire is now in my area! Always heard great things, so I was excited to try them out.

So I had the tires ordered in and they called two days later confirming they were in (this morning). Went after work and the facility is brand new, spotless. Had them price match in the store (saved me another $30 or so) and it took them a half hour or so to mount and balance the new tires (they were off the car, winter wheels on still). I also brought along a tire from my girlfriends car that had a screw in it to repair, suprised to find out that they repair tires free. Nice perk! I wasn't aware of that policy.

Anyway, they didn't mar or scratch my aftermarket wheels at all like NTB did before. Wheel weights also less "scattered" and in a single spot versus two or three like NTB did. Solid job, it appears. I'll find out for sure next week or so when I put them on.

For the repair, they dismounted the tire and patched from the inside. Once remounted, the serviceman discovered it leaking around the valve when he leak tested the tire, so he dismounted again and replaced that as well. Suprised to hear how thorough they were for a free repair. Asked if I wanted the tires bagged for transport back home, it was a nice gesture. They carefully loaded them back in my xB.

Very satisfied and highly recommended. Will be my go to tire shop for sure!

Last edited:
there are discount tires out there and then there are wholesale ones you can only buy if you are a shop. I have trouble buying the wholesale tires because we are an engine shop and dont actually sell tires. I get them from a friend that has a tire shop and i will tell you tires have a big markup.

Discount Tire is the best in the business. I have been a loyal customer for decades. I usually shop around for the lowest delivered price, and then ask them to match the price. Excellent service every time. They have something like 850 or more stores, all owned by one man. They keep the personable great service that way.

Originally Posted By: xBa380

That how people keeps coming back to DT/AT, their great services keeps you as customer for life.

Discount Tire is great. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Pirelli P7s, I've got about 3,700 miles on mine so far and am very happy.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Did you go to the one on W. 130 street?

xtell

There is one on RT82 in Macedonia as well

Glad to hear.

My experience with them is that they are great salesman, have sparkling facilities, and give away tons of free work.

But their technical knowledge is sorely lacking and they have a nasty tendency to sell people new tires at 5/32.

IMO they are great shops for the uninformed consumer who simply want the job done in a painless manner are willing to pay.

I went to the one off W130th.

They also offered me half-off on their road hazard replacement warranty for $30. For some stupid reason when staring at the screen, the totals didn't add up for me and the grand total was higher than expected, so I declined. But now I remembered this morning it was due to the "down payment" I placed on the tires to order them in... So that would have been deducted and it was actually correct. I feel completely stupid, but we all have those moments I suppose!
crazy2.gif

I guess I have 30 days to get it, so perhaps I will give a call to them at some point and see if it can be added. I figure for $30 it isn't a bad deal. I didn't think it was worth it at the $75 or so.

Anyway, looking forward to trying these P7's out. I know I will probably miss the traction and such of the performance all season's I had (Falken 912's, Altimax HP's) but I wanted something longer-life this time around. I figure it will work well enough for summer driving and the occasional downpour. Looking forward to the reduced road noise most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
Shopping recently for new tires to replace my General Altimax HP's that I have had the last three and a half years as my summer tires. Solid tire, aside from the loud drone noise that developed in a tire last year that drove me nuts. No abnormal wear or anything, must be internal?

Anyway... Tires had about 4 or 5/32 left or so. Decided I wanted a longer lasting tire that was quieter and decided to look at touring tires. Eventually decided on the Pirelli P7 AS Plus. Priced them out and discovered discount tire is now in my area! Always heard great things, so I was excited to try them out.

So I had the tires ordered in and they called two days later confirming they were in (this morning). Went after work and the facility is brand new, spotless. Had them price match in the store (saved me another $30 or so) and it took them a half hour or so to mount and balance the new tires (they were off the car, winter wheels on still). I also brought along a tire from my girlfriends car that had a screw in it to repair, suprised to find out that they repair tires free. Nice perk! I wasn't aware of that policy.

Anyway, they didn't mar or scratch my aftermarket wheels at all like NTB did before. Wheel weights also less "scattered" and in a single spot versus two or three like NTB did. Solid job, it appears. I'll find out for sure next week or so when I put them on.

For the repair, they dismounted the tire and patched from the inside. Once remounted, the serviceman discovered it leaking around the valve when he leak tested the tire, so he dismounted again and replaced that as well. Suprised to hear how thorough they were for a free repair. Asked if I wanted the tires bagged for transport back home, it was a nice gesture. They carefully loaded them back in my xB.

Discount Tire in my state = sales tax.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Glad to hear.

My experience with them is that they are great salesman, have sparkling facilities, and give away tons of free work.

But their technical knowledge is sorely lacking and they have a nasty tendency to sell people new tires at 5/32.

IMO they are great shops for the uninformed consumer who simply want the job done in a painless manner are willing to pay.

Personal preference, I guess. That's about when I start thinking about a new set.

DT have always had a distribution center in ohio and stores down near Columbus.. so we always had the sales tax penalty.. just no local stores.

Glad to hear.

My experience is their technical knowledge is perfectly fine. They install tires, not work on the space shuttle. My store properly torques wheels and properly installs tires. And I know a little about installing tires, as I worked in a tire shop for four years.

And I haven't experienced your complaint about selling tires early. They haven't tried to pull that with me. And for many of us, replacing tires around 5/32nds isn't a bad choice because all-weather performance often seriously deteriorates after that. We don't all live in CA.

For the uninformed customer they're probably a pretty good choice, because they're generally a good bargain. People who are "willing to pay" could get a worse deal at other places.

My experience is that they're one of the better tire chains.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
And I haven't experienced your complaint about selling tires early. They haven't tried to pull that with me. And for many of us, replacing tires around 5/32nds isn't a bad choice because all-weather performance often seriously deteriorates after that. We don't all live in CA.

Local AT/DT didn't try to sell any tire when I had my cars in for balance/rotation at 4-5/32". But they declined to rotate the tires when it were below 4/32".

Since we have less than 1% chance of rain from May till October, I didn't have problem to have less than 3/32" thread on dry surfaces, be it city or highway. Performance/Handling of the S2000 was better on dry surfaces with thread less than 2/32", I once had it down to almost bald and didn't have any problem.

Glad to hear.

If you're talking about the Walnut Creek America's Tire / Discount Tire location then I might concur...but I've had good experiences in recent years at some of their other locations. I've been known to frequent speed shops, national chains, and local jobbers to have tires put on and I don't find AT/DT a bastion of the particularly uninformed. I went to a local German only shop here and you could say that the easily led and "me too" BMW owners were out in force at that location. Same difference. I generally judge a tire shop by how many post-teens are working there vs. people in their 30s and older but even that doesn't always work.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Glad to hear.

Personal preference, I guess. That's about when I start thinking about a new set.

Fair enough - but a professional should not be advocating for replacement with that much tread remaining unless the local laws require a certain tread depth for winter conditions.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

If you're talking about the Walnut Creek America's Tire / Discount Tire location then I might concur...but I've had good experiences in recent years at some of their other locations. I've been known to frequent speed shops, national chains, and local jobbers to have tires put on and I don't find AT/DT a bastion of the particularly uninformed. I went to a local German only shop here and you could say that the easily led and "me too" BMW owners were out in force at that location. Same difference. I generally judge a tire shop by how many post-teens are working there vs. people in their 30s and older but even that doesn't always work.

I've actually been pretty happy with that particular location. There are a few in Sacramento that I feel differently about, but the tread depth thing did not seem to be a big issue until recently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

My experience is their technical knowledge is perfectly fine. They install tires, not work on the space shuttle. My store properly torques wheels and properly installs tires. And I know a little about installing tires, as I worked in a tire shop for four years.

For the uninformed customer they're probably a pretty good choice, because they're generally a good bargain. People who are "willing to pay" could get a worse deal at other places.

My experience is that they're one of the better tire chains.

I guess my "issue" with them is that every single location that I have talked to about Road Force balancing, has given me a "Deer in the headlights" look. The ones that actually have a machine, have no clue how to properly use it.

And yes, I would agree that they are one of the better chains, but the only items that they really win on are fast service and lots of free work.

Fair enough - but a professional should not be advocating for replacement with that much tread remaining unless the local laws require a certain tread depth for winter conditions......

I'm going to disagree here.

1) It takes a while for laws to catch up with the science. It's been known for decades that wet and snow traction degrade with decreasing skid depth.

As an example: Some states don't have any regulation concerning a minimum tread depth and the federal law has been in effect since the 1960's.

2) I think a *professional* is obligated to point out the tread depth thing, the new tires on the rear thing, and a whole bunch of other things to their customers. He should be accurate and also point out what is *legal* and what is just plain good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back