Android 5.1 update out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
So this will hit Android eventually?

It is Android

If you have a Nexus device you can download it now. If you have something else it is up to your device manufacturer to choose if they upgrade or not (most over one year old wont).

My "ancient" HTC One S has never updated past 4.1 (with security fixes).

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: daman
So this will hit Android eventually?

It is Android

If you have a Nexus device you can download it now. If you have something else it is up to your device manufacturer to choose if they upgrade or not (most over one year old wont).

My "ancient" HTC One S has never updated past 4.1 (with security fixes).

thumbsup2.gif

Been using it for about a day on my Nexus 5. I can't state any obvious difference yet with battery life or mem leakage.

I do love the app sync on 1st login. It got even got my homescreen layout right. Sync was always there before but on 1st login you can choose which ones to install.

I get a feeling though that we'll see a 5.11. I already see some bugs even with stock Google apps. For example, on the recent apps, at the top it says 'can't add widget' where the Google searchbar is on the homescreen.

PSA for those doing an install. Using the flash-all script, I encountered 3 missing .sig warning on flash. Luckily you can still manually complete the install. On my Android 5.0 install I used adb complied tool from Google and USB drivers from LG (who made the Nexus 5) This time used a different adbtool and drivers from xda-developers (which is updated).

Just a FYI...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Still waiting on Lollipop for my HTC One M7...

Sprint let me OTA upgrade my M7 to Lollipop at the beginning of February rollout.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Sprint let me OTA upgrade my M7 to Lollipop at the beginning of February rollout.

And T Mobile was supposed to be yesterday. VZW is usually a little more....careful? and sends out their updates later than others. Well, at least in my limited experience.

I'm just glad that we're eventually getting it. My M7 isn't the latest flagship, so it's nice that we're getting the update at all.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yep, I've got Lollipop on my Sprint M7 too. I was surprised they updated it being a nearly 2 year old phone.

Still running 4.4.4 on my less than one month old Droid Turbo.

But you know what? As sucky as Lollipop has been, I don't really want it at this point anyway.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

But you know what? As sucky as Lollipop has been, I don't really want it at this point anyway.

#droidturbomasterrace

Now can't they just fix the [censored] WiFi issues, it'll be the phone it was supposed to be.

Originally Posted By: razel

PSA for those doing an install. Using the flash-all script, I encountered 3 missing .sig warning on flash. Luckily you can still manually complete the install. On my Android 5.0 install I used adb complied tool from Google and USB drivers from LG (who made the Nexus 5) This time used a different adbtool and drivers from xda-developers (which is updated).

Just a FYI...

Ran into the same issue and had to run the commands manually. Seems a lot snappier than 5.0.1.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Motorola's Droid Maxx, Droid Turbo, and Droid Mini all rolled out in August (or so) of 2013. Motorola and Verizon are promising 5.0 to users of these devices. Like you, I'm quite satisfied with 4.4.4 on my Droid Mini and, now that Google has upgraded almost all of its apps to the new Material Design, most of the phone "looks" like Lollipop now anyway. The only major difference to my eyes is the Settings app in 5.0 has a nice bright/white look with lots of colors, while the Settings app in 4.4.4 is still the old, dark and gloomy style that Android used to sport.

Frankly, that dark and gloomy color palette is what kept me on iOS for many years, and their new Material Design with Apple-like color motifs is what enticed me back to Android. If the Settings app is the last and only remaining vestige of what Android used to be, then I can live with that.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Having seen Lollipop problems on my wife's Nexus, I am not interested, at least not until something like version 5.4 LOL

Umm.... No
5.1 has appeared to put right what the first 5.0 releases had wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back