Quicksilver 20w-50 or VR1 for 2011 Harley 103ci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this board and the science of motor oil. I'm searching for the all around best oil for my bike. I'm looking for something that is easy to find, performs well and is a good overall value. I ride the bike fairly hard for a Harley and I live on the gulf coast where it gets really hot in the summer. I am primarily interested in using this in the engine but it would be nice if I could use the same for the primary and transmission lubricant as well. After reading this forum it looks like Valvoline VR1 conventional 20w-50 is a good choice for engine oil at $6.39/qt locally. However I couldn't help but notice that w-mart carries Mercury Marine Quicksilver V-Twin 20w-50 full synthetic for $25/gal. I could not find much info or any UOA or VOA on this product. It states it meets API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM and JASO MA/MA2

Can someone with experience or knowledge on this product weigh in? Would it work in all 3 chambers on a Harley? Will it provide any benefit over VR1 conv? I have a NAPA oil test kit that I am willing to use for a VOA if one isn't already available. Just seems like it would be a good alternative, especially if all I needed was one product that covers all three applications on my bike. Thanks in advance!

I have had two Harleys and liked Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 or Redline 20w50 in the engine. As for the primary you will get good results with a quart of Shell Rotella 15w40. In the trans you will get good results with any 75w90 or 75w140 gear oil.

I used the quicksilver 25w40 marine oil in my TC88 once and it was Ok but not spectacular. So I assume their syn will work as well since i have used the dino in boats 454 Gm motors for almost 30 years.

But do put gear oil in your trans because you can leave it in for 15-20,000 miles and save some time and $$

BTW I would definitely NOT use the Quicksilver oil in your primary unless it is JASO or JASO MA certified like Rotella for wet clutch applications.

I liked the Mobil1 Vtwin product because you can get it at Autozone along with their gear oils and Rotella 15w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ericj205
Just seems like it would be a good alternative, especially if all I needed was one product that covers all three applications on my bike.

Eric,

Welcome to the forum.

By no means a lecture, but merely something to think about:

How much did that bike cost?
How many hours of hard work did it take for you to walk away as the proud owner?

Look, can a "one-size-fits-all" approach work? Sure. Is it ideal? Not even close.

It's 2015, and just about any product is easy to find, and have at your door, with nothing more than a few clicks of the mouse. Take a moment and think about what's available (engine/primary/transmission) on the market before trying to save a few bucks dumping some compromise lubricant into all three compartments.

Regardless, good luck and ride safe.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Just seems like it would be a good alternative, especially if all I needed was one product that covers all three applications on my bike.

Eric,

Welcome to the forum.

By no means a lecture, but merely something to think about:

How much did that bike cost?
How many hours of hard work did it take for you to walk away as the proud owner?

Look, can a "one-size-fits-all" approach work? Sure. But is it ideal? Not even close.

It's 2015, and just about any product is easy to find. Take a moment and think about what's available (engine/primary/transmission) on the market before trying to save a few bucks dumping some compromise lubricant into all three compartments.

Regardless, good luck and ride safe.

+1000 ^^^ what he said.
thumbsup2.gif
Your Harley engine runs hot so get a good syn oil to protect it. But that Quicksilver 20w50 looks Ok. I never knew they made a MC specific oil.
21.gif

Last edited:
between those two, I would choose the VR1. I've used it in my Harley and it works better (for me) than M1. I have many many friends who use Amsoil in theirs and they all insist that it shifts better and works very well - but you did not ask about amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Doog

BTW I would definitely NOT use the Quicksilver oil in your primary unless it is JASO or JASO MA certified like Rotella for wet clutch applications.

did you read the OP post? .... it is JASO MA

Hi Eric,

I also live in Al where it is hot and humid. Been riding Harleys for 15 years now. Put about 160k miles on them in that time. I also have a 103 CI engine in mine now.

Many different oils will work just fine. A few questions. How often do you change the oil and filter? And the primary and tranny fluids? How many miles you ride a season?

Number 1. If you ride a Harley, the price of the oil does not matter. You spent a bunch on the bike. Use a good motorcycle oil. Many out there. Rocket sells HD branded oil. Works great. I use it all the time. I have used Valvoline many times and ditto. Works great. Same with Amsoil.

For the tranny and primary, HD branded lubricant does fine. So does Amsoil. The point is you change it according to the recommended mileage.

Valvoline also makes a synthetic 20w50, blue in color, and it works fine in the crankcase. There are many others. Point being, you have money and care about the engine, so use a good motorcycle specific oil and don't worry about a dollar or two.

Hope we have a good spring if it will ever \get here. Been a long cold and wet winter for us down here in AL.

See you on the road. Bob

And I should mention that Mobil 1 has a V twin 20w50 oil that many folks use. Has been around quite a while and a top notch oil and company. Cant really go wrong with Mobil 1 synthetic products.

Last edited:
... After reading this forum it looks like Valvoline VR1 conventional 20w-50 is a good choice for engine oil at $6.39/qt locally. However I couldn't help but notice that w-mart carries Mercury Marine Quicksilver V-Twin 20w-50 full synthetic for $25/gal. I could not find much info or any UOA or VOA on this product. It states it meets API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM and JASO MA/MA2

Can someone with experience or knowledge on this product weigh in? Would it work in all 3 chambers on a Harley? Will it provide any benefit over VR1 conv? I have a NAPA oil test kit that I am willing to use for a VOA if one isn't already available. Just seems like it would be a good alternative, especially if all I needed was one product that covers all three applications on my bike. Thanks in advance!

Valvoline VR1 Conventional is the oil to beat. You cant go wrong, if your one to push the mileage limits of your oil changes and dont change at least two times a year then maybe the VR1 Syn would make sense.
If you choose the VR1 for the engine, I would still choose a different oil for the transmission and Primary, conventional or syn Valvoline Motorcycle oil, amsoil, mobile 1.

Quicksilver is Mercury Marines Lubrication Division, You properly couldnt go wrong, I know the oil, its a GREAT price but its only been out a year or so, for me personally I would most likely stick with the known leaders in the industry. Not that the Quicksilver Motorcycle oil is bad, [censored], it might be the best in the industry, just no one knows yet or any UOAs or VOAs.

AS far as the other oils, you cant go wrong with Mobile 1, Valvoline or Amsoil motorcycle oils. You can buy Valvoline Conventional Motorcycle oil in most Walmarts or on their website site for $4 a quart, auto stores about a $1 more.

For the Primary and transmission I would use Harleys Primary+ or Standard Motorcycle oil in syn or conventional.

With all the above said, without question Amsoil is a good oil and hands down if your going to buy a boutique type expensive oil look no further then Amsoil. Sorry but I dont buy the marketing of Redline, Lucus etc.

For more reasonable priced oil, its hard to beat any of Valvoline's products and Mobile 1 is another choice. I would say you would be splitting hairs as far as wear goes with any of the above.
My formula, in my head is Primary + in the engine and transmission, if they discontinue it, I will go to most likely but not sure yet, Amsoil in the transmission and Valvoline Conventional Motorcycle oil in the primary and very well maybe VR1 in the engine.
Right now I am using HD Conventional 360 in the engine and Primary+ in the Primary and Transmission.

I use 20/50 all the time, never less. Im in a wamr climate most of the year.
Again, you cant go wrong with Mobile1, Amsoil, Valvoline. I prefer to use a motorcycle oil in the primary if I dont use the Primary+ I like the "bite" of conventional Valvoline motorcycle oil with the clutch. Other then that ... well ..

In both my last Harleys I ran Redline 20w60 in the engine, Redline Shockproof in the trans and ATF type F in the primary. I spent years finding the right combo that I was happy with.

Donny said it best with a lot less words then I used.
and ... since you are new here, I just realized as well you posted your question in the wrong area of the forum. This area is for people who post UOAs of their oil. There is a motorcycle section down the forum list for questions like this.

I thought Huntsville was North AL.

A fair number of Harley folks run Mobil1 15/50 in the engine, it is about 27.00/5QT @WalMart.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I thought Huntsville was North AL.

A fair number of Harley folks run Mobil1 15/50 in the engine, it is about 27.00/5QT @WalMart.

Very true and with great results.

Quicksilver and Harley oil are both made by CITGO, what specs is anyone's guess ? My money says they are close if not the same oil.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Quicksilver and Harley oil are both made by CITGO, what specs is anyone's guess ? My money says they are close if not the same oil.

Doubt it...Harley oils are made to run in Harley bikes. Quicksilver is made to run in a variety of bikes. That is like saying a Ford Fiesta and a Lincoln MKZ are likely the same because they both were made by Ford Motor Co.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: FastGame

Doubt it...Harley oils are made to run in Harley bikes. Quicksilver is made to run in a variety of bikes. That is like saying a Ford Fiesta and a Lincoln MKZ are likely the same because they both were made by Ford Motor Co.

sleep.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back