Oil Recommendation: Champion 4000 Watt Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just picked up one that's under a year old (have receipt of purchase) for little to nothing.

Did change the oil when I got it (SuperTech HM 10W30). Would you guys recommend anything different? Possibly something like a 5W40 or a 15W40 for this Texas heat? Below is what the manual recommends.

ifv6g1.jpg

And honestly, it will get used only a handful of times a year, so it will be sitting for long periods of time without use.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Put some of the Amsoil ASE oil in it. Should be fine. I think that the Amsoil might have more moisture and corrosion inhibitors in it. It would be the best IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quest
stay with 10W30 and check your oil every couple of hours of running.

Q.

Thanks! I guess I really shouldn't be too worried about it. Stick with something cheap and keep it changed periodically...and I shouldn't have many problems with it in my opinion.

That generator doesn't have an oil filter - just a foam air cleaner element.

Consistent oil changes (that removes contaminants) with a quality dino oil is all it needs to outlast the carburetor or fuel tank that rusts out. (Keeping plenty of Fuel Stabilizer in the tank / carburetor year-around will prevent a lot of problems and heartache.)

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
That generator doesn't have an oil filter - just a foam air cleaner element.

Consistent oil changes (that removes contaminants) with a quality dino oil is all it needs to outlast the carburetor or fuel tank that rusts out. (Keeping plenty of Fuel Stabilizer in the tank / carburetor year-around will prevent a lot of problems and heartache.)

Agreed...I'll probably change it twice a year. Probably will see less than 100 hours a year.

[censored] I could even do it more often than that...$3.77/qt doesn't hurt the wallet too much seeing that it only holds .6 qts.

The 10W30 should be fine. But keep you eye on the oil level if you run it for days.

Gas will be the issue. I treat all OPE gas with blue Stabil.

Get a CO detector.

I use Mobil 1 0w40 in mine year round. After the initial valve adjustment i have never had to adjust the valves again, its an OHV.
This is important information because cam wear tells volumes about the engines wear pattern.

It means the oil is getting up to the last part in the lubrication system quick enough to take over from the residual oil film at cold start and is keeping wear to a minimum.
Basically no wear = no adjustment needed. The initial adjustment and subsequent checks should always be done even if quiet because of possible valve seat recession in the head.

49.gif

Why is it that no matter what the OEM recommends, people think using something thicker or thinner than the recommendation is better?

I prefer non-energy conserving -higher HTHS oils in my hard working air cooled engines. Mine get Castrol 0W30. I think it's a great air cooled engine oil. Mobil1 10W30 High Mileage would be another good choice. I prefer the 0W30 because of the possibility of having to start my pull-start generator during the cold winter.

Since you are going to change it 2x a year, use the recommended oil for the season. Either the 5w30 or 10w30. If you want to live on the wild side, get a 5w40 oil or even the Mobil 1 0w40 oil and use the same oil year round.

Like others have said, I bet other parts go bad long before that engine the way you are gonna take care of it.

How much did you get it for? Just curious

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why is it that no matter what the OEM recommends, people think using something thicker or thinner than the recommendation is better?

Ever loose an engine because the manufacturer spec'd the wrong oil? I have!
They replaced the engine and gearbox on hundreds of bikes under warranty then changed the spec.

Mobil 1 0w40 is not very thick, he lives in Tx and it is an air cooled engine.
High ambient temps and high cylinder and heat temps with splash oiling tend to shear the oil . The manufacturer doesn't want the engine lasting forever either.

The answer to you question. It has been proven over years that with air cooled engines, tweaking the oil viscosity to the operating environment can add years to the engine.
Up in the northern regions of Canada in winter a 0w30 would probably be a better choice.

Generators are one of those things you could use for a long time and a synthetic oil would be good for that. 5w30, 10w30 synthetic oils, or 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic oils are a good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back