Good or bad-clean air filter with compressed air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my life, from time to time, I"ve seen people blow out their air filters on their car with compressed air from an actual air compressor, and then reinstall the filter. I think they think they're doing a great service by "cleaning" the air filter and saving money by getting more mileage from the same filter. I don't think so.

*I* think if I had super vision (like Superman), they're actually blowing teeny-tiny holes in the air filter and doing the exact opposite - I think they're ruining the filter and allowing a LOT more dirt to just whiz right through and enter the engine. I think if your filter looks dirty...change it!

What say you?

smile.gif

Ed

If it's a newer car under warranty, I'm spending the money on a new filter. If it's an older beater, compressed air is the way to go.

I would not clean the air filter (paper/fibre type), period.

You blow a hole,you'll let the dirt through, simple as that.

I'm not that cheep when it comes to maintenance items, esp. air or cabin air filter.

Just chuck them and buy fresh new ones.

Q.

I drop the paper media filters on the ground flat from 12-14 inches. Works good for me. Paper fibers are (according to. ??) Briddle and looke uniformity when compressed air is used. Beating the filter out is enough for me.

If I am not due for a new air filter, I knock the dust off and put it back. I do not blow it out with compressed air. It makes a mess, and I worry about tearing the filter.

My car calls for a new air filter every 30 months. I live on the wild side and replace it every 2 years. They cost around $6.

not worth the risk of putting a hole in the media if you ask me. tap it a little if you want or be careful with a shop vac.

Last edited:
I have a Amsoil AF in my truck and it states you CAN use air to blow it out, low pressure I think 20 or 30 psi.

there's no issues if you use lower pressure I've been doing it for years never any damage, that media is stronger then you think.

I remember reading that it isn't recommended, that you can damage the filter to allow more air in.

I also subscribe to the idea that you shouldn't disturb the filter any more than necessary. Opening the housing to blow out the filter just allows more dirt to enter. I open the housing as little as possible, and if I am going to open it up, I put in a new filter. I haven't gotten as far as putting in a restriction gauge, but it's been sitting in my Amazon cart for several months now...

Originally Posted By: Quest
I would not clean the air filter (paper/fibre type), period.

You blow a hole,you'll let the dirt through, simple as that.

I'm not that cheep when it comes to maintenance items, esp. air or cabin air filter.

Just chuck them and buy fresh new ones.

Q.

Filters are so cheap, why not just replace? Wait until you have a Rockauto order, and throw a couple of $5 filters in the basket. Done.

Filters are cheap, I'd just assume replace them. Blowing leaves out of the intake or something, go for it. Same goes for cabin filters.

But engines are expensive, and filters are cheap. And... Lets be honest here, you might replace your engine air filter every 2-3 years. Filters are seldom more than $30.

Assuming you can blow it out once before replacing it, you're only saving ~$5 per year, ignoring the effects dirty filters have on fuel economy and performance.

Not all AF are cheap, Heavy trucks and equipment can be upwards of $100, Hence blowing them out lightly from time to time is justified.

Good point.

But if you want to blow off filters to clean them, seems it would make sense to go to a reusable oil wetted filter. Something designed to be cleaned and reused

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Good point.

But if you want to blow off filters to clean them, seems it would make sense to go to a reusable oil wetted filter. Something designed to be cleaned and reused

At three times the cost
wink.gif

Toyota OEM repair manual for my engine instructs to blow from inside to outside first (with filter removed of course) and then from outside.

It won't change the filter-replacement schedule but makes the engine breathe more air during the replacement interval. Also, if the filter is too dirty, you must do it.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Toyota OEM repair manual for my engine instructs to blow from inside to outside first (with filter removed of course) and then from outside.

It won't change the filter-replacement schedule but makes the engine breathe more air during the replacement interval. Also, if the filter is too dirty, you must do it.

That makes sense. I would think anything else would just embed the particles deeper into the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back