Internet Solution - Too Radical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: tony1679
So I am following everything except for "grease the tech with cnotes." Maybe i didn't get enough sleep?

a "c-note" is a $100 bill?
Yep, gotcha. Definitely not enough of this
13.gif

Well I called AT&T for the 50 billionth time and basically pretended to order POTS. When the tech gets here, I'm going to tell him I want internet >3Mbps or I want nothing at all. If he/she tells me no, well, I guess I officially have to give up.

I understand your pain.. my parents are in the middle of everything and can't get anything even decent cell service and their only 2 miles from a major highway and city. Have you looked at other alternatives such as cell or satellite? Granted you won't have unlimited usage.

Used to work for a WISP and good luck even in Oklahoma (relatively flat). If it was a couple miles different story. Did I hear at one time you could connect the FCC?? or some government agency and they would help out.. can't recall anything further.

Suppose the tech actually hooks up. How in world AT&T is going to do monthly billing? Or do you keep sending the money to the tech every month?

Actually, unless AT&T provisions your CPE, you are not going to get service from them regardless of how much you pay to the technician. I am assuming AT&T infrastructure is smart and secure enough and wouldn't let anybody mooch it off. If it does not know about the MAC of the CPE, it is not going talk to it.

Can Doog tell the rest of the story?

You can set up your own point-to-point microwave if you have line-of-sight.

Search Google/eBay for "Nanobridge M." You could probably set this up for less than a couple hundred bucks.

You'll want to confirm this, but I don't believe any licenses are required.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Suppose the tech actually hooks up. How in world AT&T is going to do monthly billing? Or do you keep sending the money to the tech every month?

Actually, unless AT&T provisions your CPE, you are not going to get service from them regardless of how much you pay to the technician. I am assuming AT&T infrastructure is smart and secure enough and wouldn't let anybody mooch it off. If it does not know about the MAC of the CPE, it is not going talk to it.

Can Doog tell the rest of the story?
Hmm, didn't think about that. Interesting. Agreed, need more details.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
You can set up your own point-to-point microwave if you have line-of-sight.

Search Google/eBay for "Nanobridge M." You could probably set this up for less than a couple hundred bucks.

You'll want to confirm this, but I don't believe any licenses are required.
HA! This is what I was after! Thanks. I will not be looking into this until AT&T 100% says NO. Then I will be looking into this very seriously, because my other options are very expensive, both short and long term. So an initial investment up front to get cheap service in the long run would definitely pay off.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
HA! This is what I was after! Thanks. I will not be looking into this until AT&T 100% says NO. Then I will be looking into this very seriously, because my other options are very expensive, both short and long term. So an initial investment up front to get cheap service in the long run would definitely pay off.

If you try this let us all know how it works out.
smile.gif

A while ago some coworkers had set up directional Wifi antennas using old satellite TV dishes and they managed to get a few miles out of it. I imagine you could have some real fun with a microwave setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back