full synthetic 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I recently inherited a 1998 Volvo penta v8 5.0 gi. The boat has been sitting for a decade and I am trying to bring her back to life. The boat was last winterized with the manual recommended synthetic sae 30 oil. Obviously I can't find straight 30 anymore. Volvo now recommends full synthetic 10w40. I am leaning toward mobil1 full synthetic but all i can find is high mileage 10w40 in full synthetic. There is only 432 hours on the engine. Is the high mileage ok or is there something else i should use. Just curious if there is something added to the high mileage formula that can do more harm than good.
Thanks!

Sae30 rotella 13 or 14 bucks a gallon at wallyworld. Sae 30/10w30 amsoil. But rotella is your best bet.

I've been reading up on the rotella on this site and it seems to be highly recommended. Why do you tecommend 10w30 as opposed to 10w40 now recommended by volvo and is this rotella full synthetic? Please forgive my oil ignorance!

Rotella is not synthetic but most available and good oil as well. I'm fortunate to have a retail auto part store to carry Amsoil and not many oil brands have shelf space for strait grades other than hdeo. The 10w30 amsoil is actually a straight grade, But PAO vi is high enough to have a 10 winter raiting without vi improvers.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 is fine even for new engines requiring that grade, it just has some extra seal conditioners and more detergents/anti wear additives that API SL allows. I think your boat would love it.

I think I'm convinced on the rotella t6 5w40. Any last opinions between mobil1 full synthetic 10w40 or the t6 5w40? Thanks again for all the input!

Good start. Medium 40wt with a good add pack. I don't think you will have any issues with that.

Of your choices listed, I'd go with Rotella T6. A boat engine is a heavy duty cycle application if ever there was one. Nothing wrong with the 10w40 HM, but I'd prefer a full synthetic.

FWIW, there are some great synthetic, VII-free, 30-weight oils available (Amsoil has one, IIRC). They have the advantage of actually meeting the low temp specs of a multi-grade 30 (like a 5w30) but without the usual viscosity index improvers so they can be labelled as a straight 30. Pricey, but available.

Yep. I can buy volvo full synthetic. Just trying not to spend $75 every oil change. I think the mobil1 hm full synthetic is full synthetic. The super 2000 are synthetic blends no?

Volvo penta 5.0gi:

These engines were built during the joint venture with OMC and were painted a dark charcoal color. They were usually named by long character strings that contain two numbers followed by a series of letters.

The two numbers are the displacement.
Next is the letter that indicates who made the base engine. ( G=GM, F=Ford)
After that, one or two letters that note the fuel system and/or output. L=Limited, S=Superior, X=Exceptional, i or I=Fuel injected (no I means carburated).

I don't think u really need a 5w-40 oil in Florida. I would go with the M1 HM 10w-40. That is an AWSOME oil, and u are following your manufacture's recommendation, which is always a plus. Not that T6 is bad, because I use and love it, but just don't think u need a 5w-xx oil in Florida.

Any of the 5W40 synthetic HDEOs would be fine ... but as pointed out by Hessam, cold staring is not much of any issue in Florida so you'd be perfectly fine with any of the 15W40s that are easy to find and economical to run.

If you want to stick with an XW30 weight for power and/or fuel economy reasons, there are 10W30 HDEOs as well as this new, 15W30 Severe Duty formula from Chevron:

http://breweroil.com/commercial/tag/15w30/

Good luck shearing that stuff down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back